Forum Home » Motoring

Electric cars - Page 190

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Electric cars

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4.3K replies 316.6K views

Replies

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's surprising... I assumed it would be the same size as the E-Pace.

Nope, significantly lower. I'd call it a tall hatchback (with half decent ground clearance) rather than SUV height.
    Compare them to equivalent EVs.
    e-Up! £26k list - Cit C-Zero £21k list - Smart ForFour £22k list.

Indeed. These are all poor sellers for different reasons though. I'd love the Smart, and test drove one, great fun, but a 17kWh battery, and 7kW charging (upgrading to 22kW at end of year) is too much of a compromise. And the prices aren't like that when you're doing PCP. I was comparing VW's 'poor sales' with the likes of Nissan, Renault, BMW who have managed to sell plenty of cars.
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Then GM with 110 years of experience, and a 1yr head start on the Tesla 3 should have no problem out producing Tesla and making a larger profit on each Bolt (the Tesla 3 has an estimated 30% profit margin). So how come GM are only producing 2 or 3 thousand a month and losing money on every one? If EV's are so easy, then why has GM tried to avoid having to supply Bolt's to PAS (under the agreement as part of the sale of Opel/Vauxhall) by putting up the price by about €9k?

Kind of interesting that the Bolt got the highest scores for GM from the Consumer Reports even as a brand new car, but was largely designed by LG.

The guys who are really trying, like Nissan, Renault etc. seem to be able to do it well. But the half-hearted 'conversion' of ICE's just doesn't cut it.

Don't know, lack of will from senior management, stuck in their ways, not wanting to change the status quo. Lack of belief in the product, poor marketing (I for one have never heard of a Bolt) any number of reasons..

The facts are that the actual manufacture of an EV is exactly the same as an ICE car except for the powertrain, which is much simpler in an EV than an ICE, which needs an engine, gearbox, diffs etc all connected physically to each other with big metal gears and drive shafts, made even more complicated when you add in 4 wheel drive.

Agree with your last paragraph, which is why JLR are producing a new modular platform (MLA) designed for EV from the ground up as well as hybrid.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/how-jlr-is-preparing-for-the-electrifying-future/63329591
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poor marketing (I for one have never heard of a Bolt)
    Opel Ampera-e in Europe, not sold in the UK - likely sales didn't warrant RHD development.
  • tedtedtedted Forumite
    210 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    the vauxhall ampera was for sale in the uk in rhd form
    30.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tedted wrote: »
    the vauxhall ampera was for sale in the uk in rhd form
    The Ampera (Chev Volt hybrid, 2012-15) is a different car to the Ampera-e (Chev Bolt EV, 2017-on). The second-generation Volt (hybrid again, 2015-on) isn't sold here, either.
    30.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neilmcl wrote: »
    The Kona shares the i20/Kia Stonic/Kia Rio platform, so you can see exactly where they're going with it, and you can bet there'll be a fair bit of the grubbies shared with the Soul and Ioniq.

No great surprise at all that parts-bin-stirring is starting to really happen with EVs, too. Or that the Koreans are the ones starting it.
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    .. TBF, the market's hardly encouraging them by buying the ones they do offer. e-Up! and e-Golf sales have been minimal.
    Hi

What kind of additional encouragement would you think VW would need to increase their interest in EVs beyond their notification to investors that they'll be spending the equivalent of $80billion of their money on developing & launching new EV models in the period 2018-2025 (Approx 4x PSA+Toyota combined!) ... looks like they already have a stunning cunning plan to me! ... :D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hyundai seem to be getting something right (apart from volumes!) with their designed as EV from the start Ioniq (even if the hybrids muddy the water a bit): in the summer it would appear people are getting over 5 miles per kWh in certain circumstances and even good results on motorway trips. Even the Soul EV variant seems to have good figures. though it's pretty ugly.

Correction; even over 6mpkWh for some.
    30.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good - an actual "fuel efficiency" improvement, rather than simply "slap a bigger fuel tank in to stretch the headline range".