Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Maybe they are lucky and always find the one charge point at the supermarket is free when they go there.

I think I posted a link about this a while back, but an Asda's(?) installed 40 charging stations, and each one is at the center of 4 parking spaces. So 160 potential spaces and 40 charging chances.

So it really comes down to how supermarkets etc adapt going forward to attract customers.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I think I posted a link about this a while back, but an Asda's(?) installed 40 charging stations, and each one is at the center of 4 parking spaces. So 160 potential spaces and 40 charging chances.

So it really comes down to how supermarkets etc adapt going forward to attract customers.
    That would make a lot of difference... When I did my check - there was one slot at a Sainsbury m'wife uses near her workplace amongst 75-100 spaces and apparently hardly used because no-one knows it's there. Then there was the super-duper eco-Sainsbury's at Greenwich Peninsula which had wind turbines on the roof and half a dozen charging points amongst 500 spaces. Zapmap says they are still there - even though it was knocked down in 2016! The new Sainsbury in Charlton has 70 plus apparently. So if a minimum ratio were included in planning permission requirements for new developments - that could make a big difference.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June 2018 at 3:57PM
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    ... Someone suggested 40 mile commutes - if you can't charge at home or at work - what are the chances of there being a suitable charge point en route that you can stop off at? Depends on where in the country your commute is - and how often you are prepared to add the extra time to it (at least once a week). There's going to be a tipping point when enough people are convinced that they won't be continually running out of juice but we're not there yet.
    Hi

I follow your point ... but isn't concentrating on one segment of the population and applying any shortfalls to the whole really a fair approach ... isn't it a case that in the early 1800s it would have been possible for canal users/owners to create a similar argument around not having rails, advanced engines & rolling stock, sheds, stations, coal yards and water towers, therefore no-one should consider steam-trains as a transport option?, after-all, the earliest steam engines had a very limited range, much less than that between the major conurbations ....

If your viewpoint is that 'we're not there yet' because of your own specific situation, then that's fine, however, in reality, there are people who have EVs and find that, for them, they are well suited to their requirements ... it's just a case of continuing to use what you currently use until either the technology & infrastructure meet your own needs, or you change your mind as to what your needs are somewhere along the way.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    480 Mile work day yesterday,

180 Miles down to Cardiff, Stopped for an hour to rapid charge back up to 90%. Had a meal while charging,

then lots of jobs round Swansea and South wales, 140 Miles back over to Bristol. Up the M5 to Michaelwood Services on the M5 so 45mins on the rapid charger there while doing a couple of jobs on the service station. Then 160 Miles home got home with 12% battery left.

1hr 45mins downtime, 1 hour while having my meal break and 45 mins while working then doing some paperwork,

Even if the time has been wasted I dont think 1hr 45mins is bad out of a 500 mile day. And that is in the CHEAPEST MAINSTREAM EV on the UK market now. (Renault Zoe 41kwh 200 Mile Range "250 NEDC but not realistic unless you do 55mph behind a lorry all day")

In 7 months now done 24k miles all Electric, never struggle to find a charger its as simple as pull into a MSA and there is one there. Only plan you need on a day out is stop at an MSA before coming off the network.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSA?

Ten characters
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    MSA?

Ten characters

Motorway Service Area
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watt?

Dumas shatters Pikes Peak record in electric VW
    The Frenchman’s run at the Colorado course was delayed after an earlier competitor crashed, injuring a spectator, before the 40-year-old set a time of 7m57.148s.

Prior to Sunday, Loeb’s 2013 record in a 3.2-litre twin-turbo Peugeot 208 had stood at 8m13.878s.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    480 Mile work day yesterday,

180 Miles down to Cardiff, Stopped for an hour to rapid charge back up to 90%. Had a meal while charging,

then lots of jobs round Swansea and South wales, 140 Miles back over to Bristol. Up the M5 to Michaelwood Services on the M5 so 45mins on the rapid charger there while doing a couple of jobs on the service station. Then 160 Miles home got home with 12% battery left.

1hr 45mins downtime, 1 hour while having my meal break and 45 mins while working then doing some paperwork,

Even if the time has been wasted I dont think 1hr 45mins is bad out of a 500 mile day. And that is in the CHEAPEST MAINSTREAM EV on the UK market now. (Renault Zoe 41kwh 200 Mile Range "250 NEDC but not realistic unless you do 55mph behind a lorry all day")

In 7 months now done 24k miles all Electric, never struggle to find a charger its as simple as pull into a MSA and there is one there. Only plan you need on a day out is stop at an MSA before coming off the network.
    How do you pay for the energy you consume at a charging point?
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I now have a 40kWh Leaf..

Let is know when you upgrade to the 60.:-) I've never had a new car and am certainly not going to start with EVs!

Even if not everybody can charge at home (and I'd need to do a fair bit of work to make it possible for myself) it's obvious that many could do, so the concerns about charging for them are misplaced. It'll be some time before it becomes an issue for everybody.

I would hope that planning permissions would take into account future needs, although as councils are a bit strapped for cash and tend not to have the resources to fight developers I don't hold out much hope for such a longer term view with the current government.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Let is know when you upgrade to the 60.:-) I've never had a new car and am certainly not going to start with EVs!

Even if not everybody can charge at home (and I'd need to do a fair bit of work to make it possible for myself) it's obvious that many could do, so the concerns about charging for them are misplaced. It'll be some time before it becomes an issue for everybody.

I would hope that planning permissions would take into account future needs, although as councils are a bit strapped for cash and tend not to have the resources to fight developers I don't hold out much hope for such a longer term view with the current government.
    I'm confused. I know the high power fast chargers have to be properly 'plumbed in' by an expert, but I thought the low power ones are like standard wall plugs? You could practically run one through your letterbox to your car (especially in this weather)?

Maybe I need to read up more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure