Heard Of A "Silver Key" Address?

Options
My current broadband provider is Talk Talk. Fortunately I am coming to the end of my contract with them and for my sanity not to mention a decent broadband service I need to move away from them. I contacted PlusNet for a price. They have told me that they can't provide a service to my address because it is a "Silver Key" address. He went on to say that only BT are allowed to provide services to a Silver Key address. Its obviously not lost on me that my current provider isn't BT - nevertheless PlusNet have flatly refused to provide a broadband service to my address.
Has anyone else ever heard of this "Silver Key" demarcation of services?

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought you were very upmarket at first lol.

Give EE ago. They are also owned by BT
  • MurkySurfy
    Options
    The gold means your address is registered and is validated within openreach database. Sliver means there is a record of an address from the Royal Mail database but not validated on openreach's.
    https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/downloads/dialogue_services_product_guide.pdf
    Page 8-9
  • rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    MurkySurfy wrote: »
    The gold means your address is registered and is validated within openreach database. Sliver means there is a record of an address from the Royal Mail database but not validated on openreach's.
    https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/downloads/dialogue_services_product_guide.pdf
    Page 8-9

That is correct. Silver keys should be able to have services provided to them but Openreach needs to carry out a survey to identify how a line can be provided to the property.

I am surprised TalkTalk have said what they have said. Many other ISPs will provide a line using a silver address key, including the one I used to work for. It may just take more time to provide.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, i think its to do with customers in your area, i.e the more there is the more chance of it becoming a " gold area", as bt owns plusnet its a way of keeping customers imo

Perfect example of if you don't know, don't reply. Total nonsense.

As above, it's related to the address being matched with Openreach.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it a flat where the address on one system does not match that of the other?

FIL had a load of issues with the post and utility companies. Silly numbering system.
    ie. He was Flat 5 (building name) but the building also had a number (10).

It was a close with a house number 5, where half his post went to.

On some systems it was simply Flat 5, A Building. Others it was Flat 5, 10 A Building.
    Now it got sillier when there was a Flat 10 also. At least flat 10 number 10 had half a chance of getting their post.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Yankee13
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies above. Very helpful. BT have in fact taken this on (as PlusNet should have). It seems that the issue is something close to that described by Forgotmyname though it isn't a flat. The irony is that Open Reach were out to my property last week sorting out a loss of broadband and none of this arose with them. Thank you all again
  • Peter_Kendrick
    Options
    I have spent the weekend trying to order broadband for my new build. Last July I met a BT Openreach engineer on my plot and he identified the pole and where they would connect the wire to my house.

The problem is that my address does not appear on the BT 'Online Availability Tool'. I have been told my address is a BT 'Silver Address'.

The house address has been registered with Royal Mail, Council, banks and everyone else for between 1-2 years.

All my neighbours have Fibre up to 70mbs. Today BT have told me I can get 5mbs Broadband connected as all the neighbouring houses are copper lines. THEY ARE NOT!

Unless I appear on the BT Openreach database I am stuffed. I have just gone around in circles trying to get on the database and don't know what to do next. Help!!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your neighbours have moved in and have the service, the simple answer is to bang on their doors and ask them how they did it.
  • Peter_Kendrick
    Options
    I am trying to get broadband connected to my new build house. BT say it is a Silver ALK address key which limits my speed to about 5mbs. All my neighbours have 50mbs availability. How can I get BT Openreach change my address on their database from a Silver ALK to a Gold ALK address?
  • Peter_Kendrick
    Options
    If your neighbours have moved in and have the service, the simple answer is to bang on their doors and ask them how they did it.

The problem is because my house is a new build and the other houses have been there for years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure