Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    badmemory said:

Maybe 2 years of not really wearing "proper" shoes has caused my feet to spread a bit more 🙃 
    Definitely this.  I am struggling to even get my feet into my trainers after mostly wearing pumps.  I find its not just the spreading though but not being used to the constriction.

Glad in a way to hear its not just me.  Honestly thought I was going insane when nothing was fitting at the weekend.  
    Emergency Fund - £5856.67 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £4364.65
    LISA 21/22 - £4000 :: NSD March - 0 / 20 :: Books Read: 13 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I feel your pain! My feet completely changed size about 10 years ago. I went from a 7 to about a 5.5 - suddenly shoes I known and loved for years were half an inch too long and all had to be chucked. I was not happy 😥!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Morning all!  Been a whirlwind week since I last updated:

• Managed to finally pick up a pair of trainers from Nike Town with the help of some very lovely staff members.  While I was in there I also treated myself to a new sports bra and matching leggings in a fetching purple colour.  Money for both came from my "sweat stash" pot (basically every time I workout I put £2 in the pot to cover the cost of new workout clothes / shoes etc)

• Went to the pub with friends on Saturday to celebrate some 40th birthdays.  The last time we were all together was exactly 2 years to the day, sitting at the same table, so very surreal but very much appreciated.

• Celebrated my birthday on Sunday with brunch, drinks at the Shard and dinner at The London Steakhouse courtesy of DH 🥰  

• Attended my first in-person conference in over 2 years which was lovely to see people and catch up, including bumping into my first analytics manager from over 10 years ago 😆  Was also slightly overwhelming being around so many people for 2 days so was quite glad that I decided to park my car an hours walk away so I could decompress before driving home (plus I got to walk through Regents park which is always nice)

Feels like a lot but also not at the same time 😂  On the money front we've had the plumber out yesterday to do a few jobs for us: service the boiler, fit an outdoor tap for DH so we don't have him yelling at me to turn the tap inside on and off, replace our kitchen taps because the limescale inside had caused them to seize up (and swap the hot and cold feed round the right way) and finally install a Hive thermostat so we can keep a better eye on our heating with the rising prices (our bill is going up by 120% 😨).  All in it cost £400 which isn't too bad and will come out of the house pot.  He's also left us the old thermostat and programming board so we can re-install them when we move if we want to take the Hive unit with us.  Only problem is that the hub (the bit that connects to the internet and allows you to control it all from your phone) doesn't appear to be working so might have to have that replaced as no one at Hive knew what to do yesterday 🙄

Also one of our neighbour's has put their house on the market and it's causing some discussion in our road, namely because all the houses here are exactly the same layout and size, and they've listed it for £500,000 😳  I'll give them some credit that it looks like it's finished well but that doesn't mean it's worth almost £200,000 than the rest of ours.  

Was looking forward to a rest this weekend but DH has arranged for a couple of our friend's to come over tomorrow, all while the house looks a complete mess.  They're the couple with the baby, who is now crawling and very active so will be scrubbing and baby-proofing the house in between work calls today 😆
    LISA 21/22 - £4000 :: NSD March - 0 / 20 :: Books Read: 13 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well if nothing else the value if true will be good for your LTV at your next mortgage fix, so good for your interest rate.
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    badmemory said:
    Well if nothing else the value if true will be good for your LTV at your next mortgage fix, so good for your interest rate.
    It will also be a good sign for when we come to move in a couple of years too!
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    After running around getting the house spotless, I got pinged on Friday saying I'd been a close contact of someone who tested positive for CV (at the conference I was at 🙄)  So we cancelled having our friend's over as they're due to go to Korea next week and I didn't want to jeopardies their chances of getting there when it comes to testing etc.  Keep testing negative myself, but just want to be careful for them; it will be the first time my friend has been back to see her family in 2.5 years so it's a big deal.

So we had a quiet weekend in which gave DH the chance to mow the grass for the first time this year.  I on the other hand moved some money around as it's payday on Thursday and had quite a bit sitting in my current account.  The holiday pot is now maxed out for this year so we're on to the saving for the big 2024 trip and the long term savings account has been topped up to reach the goal I set for 2021/22.  I've also set the money aside that I'm going to need for Sunday when I take my parents out for lunch as it's Mother's day.  Hopefully my dad will actually let me pay (he has a habit of sneaking off and paying bills before we've even finished eating 😂)
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Morning all.  Not sure how coherent this update is going to be but we'll give it a go (currently running on very little sleep!)

- Had a lovely meal out last Monday at the new Korean restaurant in town.  They did a soft opening discount of 15% and both of us really enjoyed the offerings.  

- Had a long, emotional and busy weekend.  Mother's day meal was lovely (and my dad actually let me pay), meal with DH's family was also great and his Uncle's funeral yesterday went as well as can be expected.  Lots of laughs, tears and stories shared and a day that was perfect for him.

- Payday shuffle has been mostly completed, just waiting for the 1st to come around so we can OP the mortgage.  Have upped the DD for our energy bills by £100 a month to cover the proposed increase from next month, so will divert that money away from my OP contributions.  

- All the probate stuff has been approved for DH's godfather's estate and the house sale is progressing well so it might all complete by the end of April hopefully.  He's already said he wants to use his share of the inheritance to OP a chunk of the mortgage so that will make up for the reduction in what I'll be paying.  He's also set himself up a LISA and started paying a little bit into and will max out the year with the rest of it.  

- It's been a very long time since I bought any new clothes for myself so I've treated myself to a Stitch Fix box this month as a belated birthday treat (I signed up when they first came over to the UK and haven't had a box since).  I've seen a preview and there was a nice looking top in there that I'll only have to pay an additional £15 for if I like it enough to keep so if I like nothing else, I'll get a new top out of it!

As DH is finally getting more on board with the household finances, I'm going to take our existing budget spreadsheet and transfer it over to google sheets so we can both see it and he doesn't have to keep asking me where we are with various savings goals 😆

Right I'm really flagging now so better get some more coffee before powering on for the rest of the day.
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ooh, we love our local Korean restaurant - glad you enjoyed yours too :smile: We've even 'mastered' (putting it strongly) bibimbap at home!
    3.8K Posts
    Forumite
    themadvix said:
    Ooh, we love our local Korean restaurant - glad you enjoyed yours too :smile: We've even 'mastered' (putting it strongly) bibimbap at home!
    For easy Korean recipe's at home, I can't recommend the Aaron and Claire youtube channel enough!  Also Maangchi, Korean Bapsang and My Korean Kitchen websites are great too.  Can you tell I like Korean food 🤣😏
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Will check them out - we follow Seoyong.. (something) Longest!