Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Portugal sounds like an absolute bargain :smile: It's our 10th anniversary this year and I'm saving for a short break in Europe, but whether this money will get swallowed up by our trip to America or moving, I'm not sure. 

Totally with you on the library thing - people are strange!

Good luck with the decluttering this weekend!
  • SandyShoresSandyShores Forumite
    867 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same with sitting in front of a computer all day.  I think I lose the use of my legs or something.  I've started being a bit more active, but need to get walking a lot more before and after work.  I just rejoined the library last weekend, it was really easy to do to access the digital offerings.  I just need to go in to register to borrow the physical books, but I plan to do that.  I've ordered a couple of second hand books recently too - so much cheaper than new and although I've got a kindle I do like a book to hold sometimes.  The second hand books arrived and were immaculate.
    Mortgage Neutral: £175k to find
    Household savings: £1075
    MFW 2022 #47 OPs: £55.85/£5000
    Christmas Saver: 2022#5 £90.60/£240
    Personal: PBs £600 / ISA £300
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm the same with sitting in front of a computer all day.  I think I lose the use of my legs or something.  I've started being a bit more active, but need to get walking a lot more before and after work.  I just rejoined the library last weekend, it was really easy to do to access the digital offerings.  I just need to go in to register to borrow the physical books, but I plan to do that.  I've ordered a couple of second hand books recently too - so much cheaper than new and although I've got a kindle I do like a book to hold sometimes.  The second hand books arrived and were immaculate.
    I've definitely noticed an improvement since I started walking every day and well done on joining the library.  I ordered a couple of used books last week using an amazon voucher I got from work and they arrived today both literally brand new for pennies!
    Emergency Fund - £6159.24 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £5337.62
    LISA 22/23 - £450 :: NSD May - 2 / 20 :: Books Read: 24 / 52 :: Decluttering - 258 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had another busy weekend this weekend; we spent the weekend in London for DH's Christmas present from 2020 - seeing Back to the Future the Musical.  Was absolutely amazing experience, cast were on top form and the staging was perfect.  Budgeted to stay overnight in a hotel near Trafalgar square and dinner at Dishoom which was also amazing and DH was looking at the cookbook on the way out so that might be arriving in our house soon.  The hotel wasn't that expensive by London prices but ended up being a steal; the same hotel is now showing at £200+ a night when I paid just under £100.  Walked A LOT so no exercise needed today I think.  Felt very strange to be around so many people and to be in central London again but also felt quite normal.  Stocked up on lateral flow tests so will be testing regularly this week but keeping 🤞 that we're ok.

It's payday today so need to do the shuffle soon.  Think I'm almost there with maxing out the LISA for this year so should be achievable by the end of February.  Not a lot else to report really although I'm probably missing something really important but I'm still quite tired - think today is going to be fueled by lots of caffeine.  It's only a 4 day week for me so at least I only have 4 days to limp through at work.
    LISA 22/23 - £450 :: NSD May - 2 / 20 :: Books Read: 24 / 52 :: Decluttering - 258 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great weekend and an absolute bargain for a West End hotel!

Well done on maxing out the LISA for the year :smile:
  • Fortune_SmilesFortune_Smiles Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a fabulous weekend - glad you enjoyed it.

Fortune x

Mortgage: 65% paid Mortgage Neutral: 65% Emergency Fund: 79%

Tales from the Shire
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all.  Had another long weekend last week just to get that annual leave used up.  Wasn't as productive on Friday as I wanted to be but realised that the rest was very much needed instead.  Hosted my first in-person book club since Feb 2020 on Saturday so the house was scrubbed from top to almost bottom in anticipation.  Was so lovely to see everyone, lots of good chat and they enjoyed the book I chose so win win (it was Half a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie).  Didn't get up to a whole lot yesterday apart from a food shop then stopping by a retail park so DH could have a look for an outfit for a fancy dress party we're going to in a couple of weeks.  I did pick up a new cleansing balm from TK Maxx which was reduced to £3.99 from £27 and I needed a new one anyway, plus a new sports bra and leggings which again were reduced and the money came out of my "Sweat Stash" pot so was all accounted for.

Last day of January so time for an update:

Money

- Overpay the mortgage by at least £5000: this is a bit of a stupid one really as DH's already said he want's to use some of his inheritance to pay a chunk off the mortgage and it will be more than £5000 most likely but still, it's a lot of money and a goal I want to achieve. Paid £56 off this month with it being the first month of the new mortgage.  Going to make a proper overpayment when the February payment has cleared.
    - Max out the LISA: enough said. So close to this for the current year, only £148 to go.
    - Build the emergency fund to £10,000: I have a plan for this and think it's achievable, kind of. Added a couple of pounds here and there so far from cashback and surveys, will update the signature with the new total.
    - Reduce my personal spending: I don't need new clothes, shoes etc. so want to try and reduce this category and increase the number of NSD's each month Significantly reduced the extra spending this month, so much so I could send an extra £350 to the LISA.  Managed 16 NSD's in January, and want to beat that in February.

House

- Declutter 365 items: I made a conscious effort to declutter this year and want to continue into next year.  There are still lots of things that can go, we're just holding on to for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. 38 items gone, with a lot more ready and waiting to leave, just need to actually take them to the dump / charity shop.  Think I was a little done in by the decluttering at my parents house so took it a bit easy here.
    - "Renovate" the Kitchen: this is the only room in the house we haven't touched since we moved in.  We don't want to rip it out, but it does need paining, new flooring and a new blind  DONE 🥳 still need a new blind but the work is done.  Yes the floor is lifting slightly in places but it looks so much better than it did.
    - House to Home: basically finish all the odd little jobs that will turn our house into a home / haven e.g. replacing the internal door, finish painting the woodwork, radiators etc. Need to sit down with DH and work out what order we want to do things in.

Personal

- Learn a new skill: Already signed up for calligraphy classes so will see how that goes Received my kit, just need to start it now.  Maybe this weekend.
    - Visit a new (to me) place in the UK: I'm lucky to say that I've visited a lot of our wonderful homeland but there are still places yet to be discovered Booked to go to the New Forest in May so this should tick this off the list.
    - Visit a new (to me) country: This one is of course dependent on external factors but I want to tick another place off the list Hopefully going to Lisbon in October 🤞
    - Read 52 books: Definitely achievable 8 down so far and should finish another 2 this week.
    - Build healthy habits: Most years I say I want to lose weight but this year I've kind of changed my focus and thinking on this.  I've struggled to lose weight for about 15 years and while I'm not currently at my "lightest" I just want to be healthy and happy.  So rather than lose weight next year, I want to focus on getting stronger by working out at least 4 days a week, have daily yoga practice which will help with my flexibility and strength and mental wellbeing and get outside for at least 30 minutes every day. Apart from a week where I wasn't very well, I've managed to do everything every day.  I'd say an 80% achievement rate isn't too bad!

I'm really pleased with the progress made so far and we're only one month into the year.  Hopefully the momentum continues.
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great progress on your goals!
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done, you're flying high 😀!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!