Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good weekend, it sounds lovely, if tiring!
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @themadvix, definitely still recovering I think so having a pyjama day today - one of the perks of working from home!

Went and did a food shop last night and ended up getting all of our meat for Christmas too so that's in the freezer now and one less thing to worry about.  It's just us for Christmas day as always but we (I) still have a "proper" dinner and then basically spend 2 weeks eating cold meat and pickles every day.  We have agreed to go to my parents house for Boxing Day (🤞) and then my MiL's on the 27th so that will be 2 days sorted.  

My one and only Black Friday purchase arrived yesterday - a new vacuum cleaner.  Tried it out last night and oh my goodness, there was a visible difference on the sofa cushions and the rug.  The last one was a Dyson and despite washing the filters regularly, it just didn't seem to be able to cope.  Now I want to vacuum everything just to marvel at how much dust and dirt has been laying around the house 😂
    Emergency Fund - £5309.05 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3566.50
    LISA 2021 - £3199 :: NSD January - 6 / 20 :: Books Read: 3 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had an early start at work this morning for a presentation at 7:30 am 😳  Does mean I get to finish earlier than usual which is nice.

Pay day today so the usual money shuffle has occurred.  I even took the plunge and bought my first premium bonds; £1000 of the emergency fund invested in there to start with until the mortgage switch has happened, just in case I end up making 2 mortgage payments next month.  Then the plan will be to keep £1000 in the main account for easier access and anything over that will go into the PB's.  Bring on the January draw and maybe we'll win a prize!

All my talk about investing has got DH thinking about future plans so he's currently trying to find his work pension documents so he can see what those are looking like.  He's also talked about opening his own LISA and PB's too because he's due some inheritance money next year and wants to pay some off of the mortgage but also save some for the future too 👍
    LISA 2021 - £3199 :: NSD January - 6 / 20 :: Books Read: 3 / 52 :: Decluttering - 38 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the end of last week was a little spendy; had a letter from the solicitor saying that we needed to pay £946 to cover the shortfall between the old mortgage and the new mortgage 🙄  Turns out that Nationwide were very literal with the amount they were willing to let us borrow and my calculation was a little out on the interest that we'd be charged for November.  So the emergency fund is looking a little depleted now.  But fingers crossed it means it will all go through on Wednesday.  I just hope we don't end up paying the Halifax AND Nationwide for December because that will just destroy the EF completely.

Also may have made a few Black Friday purchases after saying I was only buying the vacuum cleaner.  Firstly a shallow Le Creuset casserole dish that I've been saving for over the past few months.  Had £170 in the pot and they had the exact one I wanted in the sale for £140 so into the basket that went.  Then I realised I was almost out of pretty much all of my skincare and it was all on sale so I re-purchased it all (across different orders to make the most of the voucher codes available).  Luckily the stuff I use isn't that expensive anyway but still thought a discount of 30% was worth it. 

Woke up to a light dusting of snow this morning which was a little unexpected.  Have layered up with clothes and blankets at my desk - glad I don't have any video calls today!
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!  Well the mortgage switch completed on Wednesday but I had to phone the Halifax because they still took a direct debit payment.  Took a couple of calls to sort it out but the money is now back in the account and the mortgage has disappeared from our online banking with them 👍  Now to wait and see if we actually get any paperwork from Nationwide 🤔

Christmas decorations are up and making the house feel all cosy.  Our friend's who had a baby in July are due to come over for a catch up tomorrow afternoon which is exciting as we haven't seen them since June.  Need to wrap their gifts tonight and I managed to find the giftbags we had saved from 2019 so will reuse one of those I'm sure.  

Finishing work early today to claim back some extra time I worked recently (it's so refreshing to be able to actually do that!) so I'm planning on popping into town to pick up a couple of orders I made for Christmas gifts, plus return some library books pick up some toiletry stuff for DH and finally drop off my nespresso capsules for recycling.  Hoping to be able to do it all in an hour so I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for parking but we shall see.

Sunday we have another busy day planned as we'll be helping MiL clear out DH'd godfather's house as they get ready to sell it.  We will have tons of model trains to bring back with us and lots of cleaning and dump runs to do so a long day all round as it's about a 4 hour round trip for us anyway. 
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortgage statement from Nationwide eventually turned up at the end of last week - we don't have to pay until January so the EF is back to being a bit more full than it was!  Have requested to register for online banking so we can start making OP's in the new year and keep track of what's going on.  We have also been speaking to life insurance brokers because we now have different mortgage terms and we're both earning more money than when we first too out our cover.  Think we've made a decision and it will be £15 more a month, but has a bit more protection than what we currently have so happy to pay that little bit for some more peace of mind.

Had a lovely catch up with our friends and their baby - he was mesmerised by the lights on our Christmas tree and didn't cry when I was holding him 👍  Wouldn't go near DH though, think he just gives off "anti-children" vibes all the time 😆  Had a long day clearing out DH's godfathers house but we managed to get it all sorted, even got some compliments from the estate agents on our hard work.  House is now on the market and has had a lot of interest already so 🤞 it all goes smoothly.  Managed to fit all the trains into 2 massive storage boxes and 2 display cases which are now in the loft "ready for the next house" as DH keeps saying 😳

Christmas presents are all wrapped, cards are all written (just need to post them) and I think we have all the food minus fresh veg and creams for the puddings.  We may be seeing some friend's for dinner tomorrow as our last social event of the year, but some are feeling rather nervous with the new variant and DH and I are the only 2 who have had our boosters so it's understandable.  If not, then I'll be playing santa and dropping gifts off to their houses tomorrow night.

Have lots of plans and goals for next year which I need to think over and refine before I share; need someone to hold me accountable so it might as well be you lot.  Right off for a walk now to clear my head.
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely dinner with our friends last night, presents and cards exchanged and good food consumed.  Conversation involved talking about savings and investments; one friend works for a well known pension provider and another has paid off his mortgage and is in a very high paying job right now with lots of disposable income.  I felt like we're on the right track with a mixture of OP's and some small investments currently, on top of our public sector pensions that we're contributing to after hearing them talk about the fact they have nothing for a rainy day (we're the only ones who have an emergency fund 🤯).  Advised them to talk to financial advisors about what's right for them and also directed them to MSE if they wanted to do some research 😆

Also yesterday I took the first step towards one of my goals for next year - learn a new skill.  I signed up for an online calligraphy class as it's something I've always wanted to learn (my handwriting is awful after breaking my wrist as a child).  The class will start in January and I'll get the associated pack with all the materials in the next couple of weeks which I'm looking forward to.
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's crazy to think that so many people don't have an EF - what on earth is Mr no mortgage and high disposable income spending it on to have nothing left in savings 🤯?

I also have terrible handwriting, sadly without a similar excuse! I did have a job once which required writing things at top speed, which is when it really degenerated, but that was 16 years ago so doesn't explain why it's still getting worse now 🤣!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • caelercaeler Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No emergency fund is pretty shocking when you could afford to have one!  I spent so many years desperately trying but it just wasn't possible.  But now it is and I'd feel naked and vulnerable without it.  But that is possibly driven by spending so many years on MSE! 
    Mortgage started on 17 December 2012 at £169,000 with a 25 year term finishing in 2037
    Mortgage Repaid on 20 April 2021
    Click here to visit my Mortgage Free Wannabe Diary