Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Almost time for a May money update (where is the time going 😳) but will wait until the mortgage payment / OP clears first.  Did start something new with this payday though - I went through the month, looked at all the planned things we had in and put the money aside in a separate Monzo pot so that it's all accounted for.  Don't know why I've never thought of doing this before, but hey you live and learn.  In it I budgeted for: dentist, stamps, cards for various people, a much needed hair cut and money to take my parents out for lunch at the weekend.  So far I came under budget for the dentist (more on that in a moment) and the cards so there's a little wiggle room in there too.  Feels good knowing that the money is allocated for these things already and that the extra leftover in the account can actually go towards savings.

Right so dentist...was supposed to have a 2 part, very complex root canal done and on Friday when I went in for the first round, halfway through drilling the dentist hits me repeatedly on the shoulder (I had noise cancelling headphones on trying to distract myself with an audiobook) to tell me that she doesn't think its a RC but just a filling on the side of the tooth at the gum line instead.  Much rejoicing as that was a lot simpler (even if a little more painful afterwards) and ended up just costing me an extra £40 on top of what I'd already paid for the consultation beforehand - she wasn't sure if I needed more than a RC and that would have taken me to tier 3 territory 😳

I also raided a little of the treat budget to pay for a new travel bag - I wanted a convertible rucksack / totebag for a while and had done a bunch of research and settled on a Fjallraven Kanken one but they're about £90 brand new.  Been looking online for a while and found a few "second hand" but they were quite obviously fakes so didn't want to risk it as they'd probably break in about a week.  Did some internet searching and managed to find a local ski shop that was selling them online a) in the sale because they were unpopular colours and b) also offered NHS discount on top of the sale price.  So managed to pick one up in a dark grey for £55.  Very pleased with it and think it's going to be perfect for helping me organise stuff going through the airport in 13 weeks (eeeeekkk) and then again when we go to Lisbon and even on the Cruise.  Love it when I can save some money on things 😉
    Emergency Fund - £6857.08 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £6205.55
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Time for another end of month update:

Money

Overpay the mortgage by at least £5000: So far we're at £1727.60 OP for the year (added another 280 odd pounds for June).  As mentioned last month, DH is going to use some of his inheritance to pay off a little of the mortgage and should receive that by the end of the month.
    - Max out the LISA: Total at £738 now and going to try and focus on snowballing this as much as I can to get the target hit as soon as possible
    - Build the emergency fund to £10,000: Our Council Tax rebate arrived in May so that got added to the EF, think we're at £6500 so far, still so far to go!
    - Reduce my personal spending: Having the monthly budget of planned spending has worked well and I came in under budget for the things that I planned so it meant I could treat DH to a spontaneous night out last night.  Have bought a few things on Vinted (jeans because my favorite ones have a hole in them 😥 and a couple of summer dresses, and all for less than £15) and the money came out of the clothes pot.

House

Declutter 365 items: We've moved some stuff to the garage this weekend ready to go to the dump next weekend so will count that out when it actually leaves the property!
    - "Renovate" the Kitchen: Still need to get that new blind...but have actually picked one now
    - House to Home: DH added more insulation to the loft this weekend and we've picked some blinds that we need to order for the house.

Personal

- Learn a new skill: Still need to start the calligraphy classes 😏
    - Visit a new (to me) place in the UK: Done, had a great time!
    - Visit a new (to me) country: We go to Lisbon in 143 days!
    - Read 52 books: 26 down!
    - Build healthy habits: May was good on the whole, kept up with the workouts and running but had a break for the last 2 weeks as teeth issues made me feel pretty rubbish.  All sorted now and need to get back to it, with 12 weeks before our holiday and I want to be in better shape (fitness wise I mean!)

All in all, May wasn't too bad and I think June is going to be even better - hopefully!
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Cornish_mumCornish_mum Forumite
    433 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Great progress Ruby! Take care CM
  • edited 7 June at 2:01PM
    ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 7 June at 2:01PM
    Thanks @Cornish_mum doesn't feel like it sometimes but then I look back at the end of the month and see that there's always been a little bit of progress.

Bit of a furor in our road this morning due to 2 houses being up for sale.  One was initially listed at £500,000, then dropped to £475,000 and was under offer but the sale fell through, so it's back on the market.  The other is their immediate neighbour who's listing went live yesterday for OIEO £375,000.  The reason between the difference is that the 475 one is a) a corner plot so has A LOT more land and b) has been completely gutted and everything in it is new (not to my taste but looks very shiny).  The second one has had nothing done to it since the 80's by the looks of things and the garden is a third of the size (and most of that is taken up by a lean-to that apparently might fall down any minute according to their other neighbour.  Literally when DH went to get the bins in this morning he was accosted by one of the other husbands asking if he'd seen "the audacity of them (😆)" to list their house for that much when he'd had his valued last week at £300,000 and it's in a lot better condition than either of theirs 😂😂😂  Got to love neighbour drama, especially when all of our houses are THE EXACT SAME SIZE it's just some of us have slightly bigger plots (like us on the corner) compared to others.
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Can't believe it's been almost a month since I last updated 😳  Think that's probably a reflection of not a lot going on around here at the moment.  Most of my spare cash has gone on buying things for our upcoming holiday (59 days to go!) as I'm a bit chunkier than when I last went to a hot place 3 years ago so need some new shorts etc.

• DH is still waiting for his inheritance payout as there was an issue with completing on the house sale (apparently some solicitors don't think LTD and Limited mean the same thing).
    • Our neighbour's house went under offer, then it was back on the market and now it appears to have been withdrawn from the market so who knows what's happening there.  
    • I opened a Chase account to take advantage of the free £20 plus the cashback on purchases and the savings rate.  Plan is to use it while we're in the States to get the best rate and get cashback etc.

Better do the monthly update when it comes to goals:

Money

Overpay the mortgage by at least £5000: Another £289.31 sent to the mortgage today so we're slowly getting there, just waiting on the inheritance money now.
    Max out the LISA: This isn't going so well.  Managed to make my usual £150 contribution this month but lack of leftover cash last month means we're a little behind.
    - Build the emergency fund to £10,000: Currently at £6832 so slowly getting there!  Going to transfer over another £1000 to the premium bonds so that's locked away for a little bit
    Reduce my personal spending: Gosh, this got a little out of control last month with all the holiday purchases.  Can't see me needing anything else this month apart from conditioner and toothpaste.

House

- Declutter 365 items: DONE 🥳 Managed to sell and donate a few more clothes plus got rid of some stuff out of the loft and we hit the goal.  Now to just tackle the big box of shredding that's sitting behind me.
    - "Renovate" the Kitchen: Waiting to buy the blind we like when the website next has a sale
    - House to Home: Loft is now fully insulated, we've ordered the other blinds we needed for the house and DH has contacted a carpenter for a quote to replace all our internal doors (and fix the inevitable issues that will arise when we try to do it)

Personal

- Visit a new (to me) country: We go to Lisbon in 118 days!
    - Read 52 books: 30 down!
    - Build healthy habits: I've got firmly back on the healthy habit train and I'm about 4lbs down while noticing some more muscle where there wasn't before.  Long may it continue 🥳

So a bit of progress in June, lets hope we can keep the momentum into July!
  • Cornish_mumCornish_mum Forumite
    433 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Great progress Ruby, Lisbon is brilliant, I am sure you will have a fantastic time. I would recommend going up to Sinatra, especially if you have a blisteringly hot day. MrCM is half Portuguese so I am a bit biased but it’s an amazing country. 
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Thansk @Cornish_mum we were looking at a trip to Sinatra, so will make sure it definitely happens!
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just caught up on your diary. All your holiday plans sound fabulous. Well done for the mortgage OPs and growing your EF and decluttering!
    Target 1) Lose weight & get fit (started) 2) Declutter 3) Get to £6k EF/Savings Now £2.9k 4) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 255 payments to go. Now £196,223. 5) Mortgage neutral progress (private pension/AVCs c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief 6) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 7) CC Debt free April 22 (now stay that way!!)
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    White Rabbits, pinch punch and all that.  Doesn't it feel refreshing having a new month start on a Monday?  I finally get to say (I mean scream) "I'm going to Disney World this month!" 🥳😆  And those 4 weeks can't go quickly enough!

Some highlights from the end of July:

• 101 Dalmatians was amazing (I might have cried a bit...) and to make a MSE day even more MSE, we got 50% of the ticket cost refunded as they wanted it to be a dress rehearsal rather than a preview night.  Didn't notice anything going wrong so happy with half price tickets!
    • Celebrated our godson's 1st birthday and can't believe how big he is compared to when we saw him a couple of months ago.  Taught him how to say something like "thank you" so I feel that I've earned some godmother points there
    • Spent quality time with friends and family and feeling very thankful for it.  
    As mentioned, we're on the countdown to Florida and I think I have everything that we needed...apart from 1 thing that I'll pick up on Sunday.  DH's mentioned he wants to get some shorts so that will also be a job for Sunday too as we're heading into London to watch wrestling again; DH liked it so much on his birthday that he's roped some friends into going back now 😊.

On the home front, we're back into a routine now and the housework and laundry appear to be under control...so we shouldn't have the mass panic I usually have to clean everything before we go on holiday.  Although we have decided to quarantine for 10 days before we go to limit our chances of picking up you know what before we go so I could have been using that time to catch up.  Even though we don't have to test before we fly, we still will just for peace of mind and will be masking etc when on the plane and in the parks.  To help with the quarantining, I took advantage of the free Gousto codes that have been doing the rounds and managed to order a box for free that will have enough for 8 meals in it.  So the plan is that between that and what we have in, we can definitely feed ourselves for 10 days.  I'm running down the freezer to make some room so we can freeze the leftovers to have when we come back, or I can also get a second box for half price delivered for the day we come back in case we need to quarantine afterwards 👍  Also means we won't have lots of leftover food to either donate to friends or chuck away which makes me happy too.

Right onto updates to this years goals:

Money

Overpay the mortgage by at least £5000: Currently at £2386 👍
    Max out the LISA: Still on the £150 contributions, should change once we're back from holiday
    - Build the emergency fund to £10,000: Currently at £6857 
    - Reduce my personal spending: Should be back under control now we have everything for the holiday

House

- Declutter 365 items: DONE 🥳 
    - "Renovate" the Kitchen: Waiting to buy the blind we like when the website next has a sale
    - House to Home: Blinds are in, carpenter has been and quoted so need to order the doors when we get back from holiday and he can install them

Personal

- Visit a new (to me) country: We go to Lisbon in 88 days
    - Read 52 books: 35 down!
    - Build healthy habits: Have been keeping up with my "non-negotiables" and feeling better for it.  It's not all about weight loss but have lost almost 6lbs in July so trying to keep it up!