Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
265 replies 13.1K views

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    DH was so worried about the possible duplicate present thing that he made me show him what I'd ordered.  Turns out we've both ordered similar things from the same company :lol:  Basically I pre-ordered a Disney themed bag a few months ago which was due to arrive in November but has been delayed and he's ordered me another Disney themed bag / purse from the same company which is also delayed.  Looks like I'm going to be set for my next trip to a Disney park!

Have a half day at work today as we're being given the afternoon off in lieu of an office Christmas party.  DH is having a virtual Christmas party with his team this evening so looks like it might be the perfect time to crack open the Bailies and curl up on the sofa with a book.
    Emergency Fund - £6,100 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3566.50
    LISA 2021 - £1671 :: NSD September - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 35 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 1177 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!  Last work day before January and I can't wait for the day to be done.  It's the first time in 17 years that I won't be working between Christmas and New Year and I'm excited to just do nothing (not that we've done a lot this year anyway :lol:)  Tier 4 means that we're now only seeing our families for video calls this Christmas but it's ok, fingers crossed things will be different next year.  

Money wise, I was paid on Monday so have moved some things around and managed to send £420 to the LISA.  I've worked out that I should be able to max out the contributions by April and then hopefully max out next year's contributions in about 6 months.  I'm determined to go on a bit of a no-buy next year as I spent way too much on "stuff" this year so I've joined the decluttering challenge for 2021 in a bid to help spur me on.  Also hoping to OP £2000 to the mortgage in 2021 but we'll see.  This is all dependent on me not having to go back to the office full time, thereby cutting my commuting costs.

Have a whole bunch of goals to possibly achieve next year but will list those out closer to January.  For now I'm going to crack on with clearing my inbox!
    LISA 2021 - £1671 :: NSD September - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 35 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 1177 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone!  Had a lovely cosy Christmas with DH, not very different to our usual Christmas plans, just a lot less driving involved.  I had my first Christmas off for 17 years and enjoyed just reading a couple of books, watching some netflix and eating a lot of food, but we still have lots left over which is good for keeping the weekly shop down for a little longer (not so good for my waistline!)

Money wise we're doing OK, just waiting for the mortgage payment to clear today so I can work out how much to OP from my December pay.  Going to put my goals for the year down in a separate post because there are a lot of them.
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right so 2021 - I like to have a word for the year and this year it's Consistency 

I want to be consistent with my positive habits in the hope that this will help me achieve some of my goals:

Finances
    • Get the emergency fund to £5000 through "free money" (surveys, cashback etc.) and consciously setting money aside each month
    • Max out the LISA asap: for the 21/22 financial year, I'll through all extra money to this until it's at the £4k limit before splitting any leftover money to the other savings pots
    • Aim for 15 NSD's a month: Last year I bought a lot of stuff.  In a bid to reduce the amount of stuff, I need to stop spending money so aiming for NSD's is a good place to start

Health
    • Exercise 5 x a week: Before Christmas I was managing to work out after work 5 times a week.  I want to actually continue this to make this part of my routine and hopefully get stronger and fitter with it
    • Fix my relationship with food: I worked hard last year repairing my mental health after leaving my last workplace and realised that I use food to try and reward myself or make myself feel better.  I want to just see food for food and enjoy what I eat and know when to stop.  I'm working on this with my therapist and was seeing progress until Christmas where I binged a lot.  Being consistent with positive habits and behaviours will help me with this.
    • Continue working on mindfulness: Alongside the above I want to work on being more mindful so it's back to regular yoga and meditation for me.  I started the Yoga with Adrien Breath course on the 1st and loving it so far and did a quick meditation this morning to help me get into the zone ready for work.

Home
    • Tick at least 4 projects off the master list for the house: some of these are as small as "hang a picture" while others are painting the woodwork in the living room or bleed the radiators.
    • Declutter 2021 items: Not sure we can get to 2021 but I'm going to make an effort.  We got rid of a lot of things last year but there are even more pockets of "stuff" that I know we can evaluate and either put to good use or get rid of
    • Create a cleaning routine: I don't want to be one of those people anymore who panic cleans every time someone comes over (not that anyone is coming over any time soon!)  I've tried half-heartedly to do Flylady or Team TOMM but will make a concerted effort to try and get into it this year.

Personal / Relationships
    • Date night once a month with DH: We need to make more of an effort, that's about it :lol:
    • Reduce my screen time: definitely going to try and put the phone down in the evenings and do something different that isn't scrolling mindlessly 
    • Read 52 books: I have this as a goal every year and last year I managed 132!  I've already read 2 so far in January and will probably finish another one this evening before bed.

I also have a project that I've been talking about for a couple of years that I might want to get off the ground this year.  I'm not sure if it would generate any income but it would be a passion project that some people may find helpful.  There are ways I could monetise some of the content so it could be a good passive income stream but it would also involve a little bit of investment to get a website up and running.  Going to try and scope it all out over the weekend and take it from there.

3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Final overpayment made to the mortgage out of the 2020 money of £199.37, bringing the OP's for the year to £1687.38 and the mortgage down to £251,500.  Would have loved to have started the year at under £250k but I only started making OP's in April I think so don't think that's too shabby really!  

Cashed out another £7 from Prolific this morning and have another £5 already waiting to clear so making progress on the free money side of things.  Haven't updated the EF total as I'm waiting for other DD to clear but think we're at around £3500 if my maths is correct, which it often isn't :lol:
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updated the EF total, but have just cashed out another £19 from topcashback so we're at about £3450 now.

Made a couple of online orders this morning as I'm running very low on some skincare bits and pieces.  I spent a bit of time arguing with myself between spending the least I needed to spend to replace what I need and actually spending a little bit more and buying some larger sizes / backups and essentially getting a few month's worth of product for free.  I went with the latter option because from a financial standpoint it made so much more sense: I'm getting a way better price per ml (half the standard price in one case), I know I'll use it all and I'm saving money in the long run.  Sounds so stupid agonising over buying a face wash and serum but I want to make sure I make good financial choices in all aspects of my life 🙃
  • powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    293 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Ruby I’m laughing a bit at your face cream decisions, I’m the same! To be honest I find it a bit paralysing so try to rein it in a little. 
    Congrats on your progress in2020 and good luck for 2021
  • caelercaeler Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ruby_eskimo and @powerspowers I’m literally having an internal debate with myself about my face cream order! I buy in bulk as I get a big discount when doing that so I’m only ordering every 8-9 months so it makes financial sense but I don’t want to spend £30 at the moment but I’m down to my last pot! 😂
    Mortgage started on 17 December 2012 at £169,000 with a 25 year term finishing in 2037
    Mortgage Repaid on 20 April 2021
    Click here to visit my Mortgage Free Wannabe Diary
  • BravingSavingBravingSaving Forumite
    71 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just wanted to say well done on the mortgage - to be so close to £250k is amazing! And completely understand where you're coming from on the face cream, I think you did the right thing and its what I would have done :) 
    Mortgage Balance June 2020 £102,824.39 Now £90,500.00
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one who worries about weird non-consequential purchases.  However got an email on Saturday to say they had to cancel the order as they realised they didn't have the large size in stock :lol: so all that debate over nothing!  They did agree to honour the 20% discount once it comes back in stock though so that was nice!

Realised that the overthinking is probably due to me dealing with redeployment this week - last year I was in A&E and this time I'm probably heading for critical care.  Have to go in Wednesday for some refresher training and then I'll be off.  Happy to do my bit and help out but not going to shy away from saying that it's a scary prospect as well.  

On a different note I bought I new printer today - our old one has finally gone to printer heaven and is just refusing to do anything now.  It was a hand me down from my parents 8 years ago so I think it's served it's purpose.  We don't actually print that much stuff usually but this week we need to print quite a bit and I don't want to have to go to the local Ryman's and pay for it when it's more cost effective to buy a printer and some paper myself.  Managed to get an upgrade to our current one that takes the same cartridges that was 30% off, got some cashback through topcashback and DH bought discounted gift cards through his work to pay for it so eventually we only paid half the RRP for it.  

Right going to make some more coffee because I really need it today.