more help with my PC

Options

Comments

• austonic
    austonic Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Start your computer in safe mode with networking and see if you can access sites that are currently blocked.

If it works, then use msconfig from the command line and customise your boot/startup by turning off pretty much everything that is not from Microsoft. Reboot in normal mode using these new settings.

If it works, then use msconfig and slowly reintroduce back into use those things that you want to have running. (In some cases, you do not need to restart, but can just manually start processes/applications that you have stopped automatically starting on boot up, and then you can test with them running.) This is a long winded test. You can of course turn back on groups of things and see if they are okay, but you might have to revert a step if you take this approach.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but ignorance is lethal.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 January 2017 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Thank you all I am working through your suggestions

Mr Generous I have restored as far back as I can, unfortunately I have had these issues a long time every since window 10 anniversary update. I thought it was the wireless adapter but now know that not to be the case as I an using Ethernet.

NiftyDigits Is the only way to find the key(s) as per JB suggestion? I am reluctant to keep downloading programs :o

Crinkmeister I have AVG it comes out clean but does suggest some registry fixes (4MB) I don't want to mess about with that as most recommend you leave it alone. I don't know enough about what I am doing to risk it.

Colin_Maybe I am sure it is the PC other laptops/devices can access the sites from my house/broadband.

AndyPix just doesn't download the sites and times out all the time, however many times you try.

bluesnake
    I have ran malwarebytes. Sorry I do not know how to "check dns settings on your network card. Check your host file. check your proxy settings" or what I am looking for with these :o

austonic tried it in safemode its the same as in normal mode.
  • iammumtoone
    edited 17 January 2017 at 7:18PM
    Options
    bluesnake I now have Process Explorer.

I have checked the names and the only one I don't reconise is cyberlink. Google tells me this can cause problems? Do I need it and how do I get rid of it? Thanks

Found the VirusTotal feature. It has a red 1/56 for Bonjour Service Apple Inc. Do I need to do anything about it and what?

EDIT: I have found via process explorer that the virus I have is "Malware.Generic!QLYrY0l0foL@5 (thunder)" if I am reading the info correct I need to download Rising to get rid of this as its the only one that is showing as detected it? Should I do this? I haven't heard of Rising its not mentioned anywhere as one of the better antivirus so why is it the only one picking this up?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2017 at 8:38PM
    Options
    which process - 1/56 indicates a false positive (bonjour is legit, where did thunder come from) or a very new threat

cyberlink make video/dvd software

have you rebooted the router recently, or reinstalled the browsers? If not, do so.

Are the failing sites all https sites? Do you get a secure padlock, what is displayed when you click it. Are cookies enabled?

Virus scanners can also interfere, so you might want to try a different one.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    bluesnake[/B

I have checked the names and the only one I don't reconise is cyberlink. Google tells me this can cause problems? Do I need it and how do I get rid of it? Thanks

Found the VirusTotal feature. It has a red 1/56 for Bonjour Service Apple Inc. Do I need to do anything about it and what?

EDIT: I have found via process explorer that the virus I have is "Malware.Generic!QLYrY0l0foL@5 (thunder)" if I am reading the info correct I need to download Rising to get rid of this as its the only one that is showing as detected it?

Cyberlink is dvd viewing/editing software.
    Bonjour Service Apple Inc. for itunes etc - caused my xp system to crawl. You can kill the process, but it will start again when you next reboot.

a one of event sounds ok, but also you can kill this task and try the pc. When you reboot all that you have killed will come back without any damage being caused.

An easy way to stop these two popping up without installation is by using File manager and renaming them like 'my.exe' to 'my.exe.bad'. The paths can be found in Process Explorer, in the Path column. You can always rename them back afterwards, but I think the issue is elsewhere, but you may as well kill them in Procxp and then rename, to be sure.
    bluesnake ...Sorry I do not know how to "check dns settings on your network card. Check your host file. check your proxy settings" or what I am looking for with these

visit this page https://www.doileak.com/ and look for 'DNS Request Source:' and you should see one if these numbers, but hopefully not the safeguard ones:
    To set standard DNS server addresses
    Primary 212.159.13.49
    Secondary 212.159.13.50
    To set alternative DNS server addresses
    Primary 212.159.6.9
    Secondary 212.159.6.10
    To set Plusnet Safeguard DNS server addresses
    Primary 213.120.234.42
    Secondary 213.120.234.42

host file (need admin right to play with this, read instructions, may have to to reboot after): http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-set-the-windows-7-hosts-file-back-to-default

proxy - leave it off/unconfigured http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/27/windows-10/how-to-configure-proxy-settings-in-windows-10.html

Create new user http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a-new-local-user-account-in-windows-10/

windows key + x and choose Command Prompt (Admin)and paste this to verify and repair the OS:
    sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/")

When finished in the same elevated box type
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (please note the space after "dism", & "online" & "image")
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all I am working through your suggestions

Mr Generous I have restored as far back as I can, unfortunately I have had these issues a long time every since window 10 anniversary update. I thought it was the wireless adapter but now know that not to be the case as I an using Ethernet.

NiftyDigits Is the only way to find the key(s) as per JB suggestion? I am reluctant to keep downloading programs :o

Crinkmeister I have AVG it comes out clean but does suggest some registry fixes (4MB) I don't want to mess about with that as most recommend you leave it alone. I don't know enough about what I am doing to risk it.

Colin_Maybe I am sure it is the PC other laptops/devices can access the sites from my house/broadband.

AndyPix just doesn't download the sites and times out all the time, however many times you try.

bluesnake
    I have ran malwarebytes. Sorry I do not know how to "check dns settings on your network card. Check your host file. check your proxy settings" or what I am looking for with these :o

austonic tried it in safemode its the same as in normal mode.

MJB software is fine.

I honestly don't bother to spend days on here, diagnosing software conflicts, when a clean install takes less than an hour. Since you've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 to Anniversary update and beyond, a clean install will certainly do away with any problems.

What's the Service Tag on your machine? Was it supplied with Windows 8.1 Pro? What is installed currently? Windows 10 Pro or Home?
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/th/en/thbsdt1
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2017 at 9:32PM
    Options
    PayPal via ebay (but I can go to paypal direct) the really annoying one is plusnet emails it logs into the screen but won't download the emails :mad:
    re-reading, wonder if it is a java issue?

Nifty is right, for a quick fix re-install, but it take the fun out of computing:)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Thank you again all for your time and help it is appreciated.

I have decided I am going to do a factory re-set, as pointed out it will be quicker for me than having to spend time trying to resole the issue(s)

I have my (free) copy of win 10 registered to my Microsoft account so hopeful I will get it back, if not I would still rather have win 8 working than win 10 like this.

I wont get time to look at this again until next weekend but will update for anyone following in future with how I get on.
  • iammumtoone
    edited 17 January 2017 at 10:25PM
    Options
    MJB software is fine.

I honestly don't bother to spend days on here, diagnosing software conflicts, when a clean install takes less than an hour. Since you've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 to Anniversary update and beyond, a clean install will certainly do away with any problems.

What's the Service Tag on your machine? Was it supplied with Windows 8.1 Pro? What is installed currently? Windows 10 Pro or Home?
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/th/en/thbsdt1

Not sure if it was 8 or 8.1, 8.1 was out when I purchased it but can't remember if it was pre-installed or it update to it.

Its now win 10 Home.

I am running a full diagnostic test from the link you supplied, I think that is the last thing I will try before factory-reset.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure