🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

more help with my PC

Options
iammumtoone
iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 16 January 2017 at 10:09PM in Techie Stuff
I have posted before about the problems I have with internet access on my PC. I am now using a long Ethernet cable to rule out wireless connections problems.

I still can't access certain sites, examples are PayPal via ebay (but I can go to paypal direct) the really annoying one is plusnet emails it logs into the screen but won't download the emails :mad: I have spoken to plusnet they say it is my PC (this is correct as I can get access via a friends laptop in my house via my wifi and I can use PayPal via ebay this way). I have tried three browsers (firefox/chrome/edge) the same thing happens on them all :(

Plusnet say its the firewall but I dont know how this can be I have not changed anything whatever has happened has been via an automatic windows update :mad: previous I could get my emails on this machine.

If I re-set my PC to factory settings it will go back to win 8 which I dont mind as at least it will hopefully work but does anyone know if I will be able to update to 8.1 from that? and is windows 8 still being undated/supported.

Thanks

EDIT: if it makes a difference Is a Dell intel(R) core(TM) i3-4150 RAM 8 GB (822GB free of 922GB - so nothing on it!)

What has it gone so slow/crap :( :mad:

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its not the firewall as I just turned that off but it didn't help.

I need to access my emails :(
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like the registry is screwed up to me, either by a virus or it just got corrupted for some other reason. Have you tried any restore points?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    You can just run a clean install of Windows 10 from Boot. Make a note of your Windows 8 product key and any other product keys, such as Office beforehand. Back up any data you wish to keep.

Strange that the 1TB drive does not appear to be partitioned in so that you have separate spaces for storage etc.

If you are happy to do this, I'll guide you through it.
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    Have you got or removed any antivirus programs?
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make a note of your Windows 8 product key and any other product keys, such as Office beforehand.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What's your email client? If it's Outlook that's more likely your problem rather than Plusnet.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's your email client? If it's Outlook that's more likely your problem rather than Plusnet.

But if you read the OP it's not just emails that are a problem, which to me suggests that it's a more fundamental issue with the machine itself.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What error/failure messages do you see when you try to access one of these sites ?
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2017 at 1:25PM
    Options
    run malwarebytes as admin

I would check your dns settings on your network card. Check your host file. check your proxy settings.

Download Process Explorer and run it as administrator. two easy things to look for: (1) in the VirusTotal column, score should be 0 (blue). (2) Company Names column, these should be companies you easily recognise like Intel, AMD, and Microsoft, not something weird or blank except for the two system ones

Also set up a new user on PC, and see if that account has the same issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport