Getting into Debt because of Wedding Costs

Options
124»

Comments

• themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    Comlongon Castle is nice in Scotland, I got married there to my second husband - on to my third now!! and Gretna Green is close by...and it will be cheaper than £15000
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just to clarify things for those making loaded judgemental statements... the marriage is what's important to me, but to us both, the wedding is symbolic. I don't want a fairy-tale, I just want somewhere that's outdoorsy because we both spend a lot of time. The problem is that the outdoorsy locations (even though you'd think they'd be cheaper) are expensive.
    'loaded judgemental statements' or not - you did ask this question:
    We started talking about getting a wedding loan. I was kind of on board at first, but owing money makes me uneasy. We'd probably be paying it off for two years if we don't overpay, which isn't exactly ideal. Has anybody done this? Are we mad to even consider it??
    I do hope you find the venue you want and can be happy about the price.
  • Hutchch0920
    Options
    Two options I looked at that came out quite well for an outdoor feel:

Campsites - we found several campsites that were willing to host a wedding - outdoors but always with good access like paths or flat fields and toilets, parking etc.

Village halls with outdoor space - in the end my Mum suggested a beautiful arts and crafts village hall, it had a field could hire separately for all our outdoors stuff.

Both took about half a day to research each but for I do the campsite would have been £450 plus a marquee (or go somewhere else after) and the hall was £400 inc the field!

On my rounds I also saw a registry office that has a pergola (in Kent alas) but perhaps there's something similar near you.
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000:money:
  • ScarlettKitsune
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. We've reviewed now over 100 venues and have started the arduous process of visiting them. We're looking at venues that won't go over £7k. This is doable with our budget.

Temporary insanity over!

I've found one nice village hall that fits the bill, and am hoping that I can convince OH to consider it. I'm also looking at campsites as a further option. Haven't found one that'll allow a wedding, but I'm sure I'll find something.
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What about a local golf club, my daughter got married in the one my oh is a member of, they got married there, we had the meal and obviously the reception there and it was a brilliant day. It was six years ago and I think it cost about 5K for everything, that included her dress, kilt hire, flowers, cake, favours etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure