PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Nadeemali
    Nadeemali Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    That is very interesting discussion related to cooking. Love it.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Breakfast was an avocado, yoghurt with honey, a banana and apple juice. Lunch was a store bought tuna sandwich (I can't manage to get tuna mayo to taste as nice as the shop bought ones, I don't know why), packet of crisps and some smoked salmon. Tea was a veg and feta pizza. Still ate lots of chocolate but not as much as yesterday.

I did go swimming though, even though I didn't want to. I've been a few times over the last month, I upped from six to eight lengths.

Hospital appointment tomorrow, hopefully they can shed some light on a few things that have been playing on my mind.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ate a pasty with a splash of brown sauce for tea....and 4 bourbons :)

Saw this: https://youtu.be/H-YxGN1xVw8

Thought of you ;)
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Thought of you ;)

Watched it all .... no idea what relevance that has to me eating a pasty!
    I don't understand many things ... and that's one of them.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had bacon with some leftover carrot and potato mash that I forgot I had. Now having some chocolate.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 8:43AM
    Options
    another day and another round of food to think about. Breakfast, the muesli and frozen blackcurrants soaked all night in almond milk and some sd toast. I have some nice goats cheese in and am expecting an organic delivery later so have a standby of goats cheese and tomatoes on top of sd toast for a day when I CBA. Veg refilled today as well as red grapes and kiwi. Freezer is still full of hm stewed apple etc

Fridge veg drawers are empied and cleaned, just a carrot left in there, so will make another soup later from defrosted clear turkey stock as well as home grown shallots and garlic with frozen green beans, broad beans and leeks. The veg soup with edamame pasta filled me well, so I am happy to eat that often and will make enough for three days, just adding the pasta each day

Well grilled belly pork strip was gorgeous, slightly spicy on the edge and from costco. Froze them singly. Their beefburgers are also very useful, frozen as singles. I have dozens of sardine tins and tuna and salmon with fresh fish in the freezer but am not eating too much fish these days due to heavy metals and poly micro bead ingestion and not liking what goes into farmed fish. Only once a week max now, was four times a week

Soup was so filling that only a mini meal will be needed at teatime, bowl of frozen berries with nuts and seeds and hm dairy ice cream. If I am hungry, which I doubt, then I will have a protein weetabix with kefir. I do have standby raisin and cinnamon bread slices in the freezer and also plain scones, light and fluffy made with kefit and no sugar

I have to have the stand bys and am happy to open a tin if needed. I have good chocolate every single day, after lunch, really love it
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    .... muesli ....frozen blackcurrants .... almond milk ..... sd toast. .... goats cheese .... organic delivery .... red grapes .... kiwi. .... edamame ... belly pork
    That's a whole world of food I've no experience of :)

I have had red grapes - tried them for the first time a few months ago, lovely - looked at them yesterday but at £1.85 for a punnet I kept walking :) bought bourbon biscuits for 24p instead.
    heavy metals and poly micro bead ingestion and not liking what goes into farmed fish.
    This world of "caring" is alien to me. I don't think about what's in food/where it comes from - to me, if it's in a tin/packet in a supermarket then a gazillion food experts and nutritionists have already been poking around and it must be OK to eat.

.... frozen berries with nuts and seeds ... hm dairy ice cream... protein weetabix ... kefir.
    More "alien foods" :)

I've never had any frozen fruit yet.... I do look at it sometimes, but it's pricey when I've looked. Never made ice cream, but I don't buy it either. protein weetabix? never heard of it. No idea what kefir is, it's "one of those modern-fangled things".

:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 9:28AM
    Options

I don't get it either.

Think it's a reference to your "I've got a few basic type ingredients in - gotta eat something - now what shall I do with it? Oh....I don't really want to have to bother" attitude to cooking?? That being the slapdash way they are doing the "cooking" here...

I may have interpreted it wrongly:)

Kefir usually means milk kefir - ie a cultured milk drink much akin to plain yogurt. I sometimes have it too. Yep...I'm familiar with most of the foods kittie mentions and they feature frequently here too. I don't eat meat and I havent heard of "protein weetabix".

I am familiar with the concept of "caring" about my food. Long experience in a variety of respects has taught me to be way more cynical than the very idealistic/somewhat "wet behind the ears" person I used to be decades ago. So I don't trust the powers-that-be (in this case food manufacturers and government) to take care that the food I'm sold is healthy in the first place. More like - regard them as mucking it around in all sorts of ways - with chemicals/g*netic modification/etc. I share Kittie's concerns re fish ingesting plastic particles and am not happy about it. I'm basically a pescetarian of myself these days - but have pretty much been forced into giving up fish - because I know the odds are so high that they will have ingested a variety of plastic particles before they got to my plate.

Frozen fruit is handy - though personally I'm not happy I can't find organic frozen fruit yet (at least in the small town I'm currently living in). So I occasionally disregard the fact it's not organic yet and get it anyway - it does come in handy. I've started growing as much berry type fruit as I can myself - precisely because of not being able to find organic frozen fruit yet. So I'm still occasionally digging out a few berries stored in my freezer from last years crop.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

More "alien foods" :)

I've never had any frozen fruit yet.... I do look at it sometimes, but it's pricey when I've looked. Never made ice cream, but I don't buy it either. protein weetabix? never heard of it. No idea what kefir is, it's "one of those modern-fangled things".

:)

Ditto re frozen fruit, protein weetabix and kefir?

Oh and I've never made ice cream either, and very rarely buy it:
    firstly because it hurts my teeth,
    secondly because it takes up valuable freezer space and
    thirdly it might never see the freezer as I'd just grab a spoon and eat the lot whilst it's slightly melted from the trip from the SM to home :D

ETA Grapes: I love them but only unseeded ones..rarely buy them as they are expensive.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Just watched it too...and I don't get it either?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family