PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just put the topside in, it didn't get cooked yesterday, going to have an orange then do the washing up. Very lazy start to the day.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PN agree with you about the excess of ingredients. I may have a go just using stuff I have 'in' and see how it goes :D

Nelski yes please report back how it goes and what, if any, substitutions you make :D

I can't remember who but I'm sure someone mentioned egg curry/curried eggs? in this thread a while ago. Would that work with Madras sauce?

I've never had them before. Is it just a case of hard boiling a couple of eggs (which I actually have 'in' atm) then heating up and pouring on the sauce?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone back from my morning snooze!
    Sounds like a fair bit of cooking is going on must be Sunday:)
    Karcher don't see why pouring the sauce over a couple of boiled eggs wouldn't work but if you CBA cooking some peas and onions to stir through might give it more texture. One thing I sometimes do is to stir LO curry sauce through a pack of savoury rice as a kind of wanna be biryani
    Nelski - enjoy the carrot croquettes and report back they sound interesting:)
    moneyistooshorttomention - hope your chickpeas defrost in time.

Despite the toast and pate earlier I'm peckish again - so poached egg and asparagus shortly I think:)
  • caronc
    Options
    My left-over hotpot made it as far as brunch, and oh, it was soo lovely. Sated now, so possibly something light at tea-time. I haven't done drop scones for a while. They were a frequent Sunday tea treat when my children were younger. My daughter never liked them though - about the only thing I make in the cake/baking/flour items that she didn't enjoy.
    I'll take any spares wouldn't want to go to waste and best eaten fresh :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I can't remember who but I'm sure someone mentioned egg curry/curried eggs? in this thread a while ago. Would that work with Madras sauce?

I've never had them before. Is it just a case of hard boiling a couple of eggs (which I actually have 'in' atm) then heating up and pouring on the sauce?

Probably me... I eat it a lot.

Just: do your rice (I sometimes do it with a few peas dotted here and there)
    Make hard boiled eggs.
    Halve the eggs and put them on top of the rice.
    Pour a curry sauce over the top. I mostly use the granules to make up a sauce as it's quick.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went up the local budget supermarket and walked out with 6 frozen dinners. A box of 3 frozen pizzas, a curry, a sweet/sour, a spag bol. Also a loaf of bread and a pack of crumpets. £5.45 in total.

That's a week's food right there :)

Already nuked the curry.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went up the local budget supermarket and walked out with 6 frozen dinners. A box of 3 frozen pizzas, a curry, a sweet/sour, a spag bol. Also a loaf of bread and a pack of crumpets. £5.45 in total.

Already nuked the curry.

Wow PN that's impressive.
    Slimming World at target
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,316 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afteroon all, had a miss yesterday, busy in the sunshine doing "man things" with the garden, like hacking trees down, I don't have a chain saw which would make it more fun, but jumbo loppers can certainly make quick work of a large overgrown shrub

Back into the kitchen, yesterday I reverted to another YS pie from Asda, with oven chips, it was excellent as a CBA meal

Tonight is a bit more effort, steamed fresh veg [leeks, cauli & brocc were reduced price] with YS roasted bangers from Costcutter, actually not bad for meat content and sort of local [Dorset]

All prepped and just need the gas lighting under them all later

Lunch was a bacon & brown sauce bap, which was not planned but just had to be had, followed by 2 off aforementioned YS sausages in a wholemeal bread sarnie, with bright yellow American mustard from a squeezy bottle which sounds awful but the mustard is not as bad as I thought it may be

No wonder I weighed more yesterday morning than a week ago :(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Already nuked the curry.

Wow...a bargain :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Afteroon all, had a miss yesterday, busy in the sunshine doing "man things" with the garden, like hacking trees down, I don't have a chain saw which would make it more fun, but jumbo loppers can certainly make quick work of a large overgrown shrub

Back into the kitchen, yesterday I reverted to another YS pie from Asda, with oven chips, it was excellent as a CBA meal

Tonight is a bit more effort, steamed fresh veg [leeks, cauli & brocc were reduced price] with YS roasted bangers from Costcutter, actually not bad for meat content and sort of local [Dorset]

All prepped and just need the gas lighting under them all later

Lunch was a bacon & brown sauce bap, which was not planned but just had to be had, followed by 2 off aforementioned YS sausages in a wholemeal bread sarnie, with bright yellow American mustard from a squeezy bottle which sounds awful but the mustard is not as bad as I thought it may be

No wonder I weighed more yesterday morning than a week ago :(
    Not surprised you CBA after a day of lopping things LOL - still would have worked up an appetite for the pie. :DBacon bap has to be brown sauce for me too:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure