We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Goodbye BG Collective Fix Feb 2017

Options

Comments

• Subaru_WRX
    Options
    I got a letter from British Gas the other day telling me my 'fix' was coming to an end on 28th February and that I could switch to one of their other tariffs or move to another supplier anytime after 11th January without paying any exit fees.

I still don't know what to do !

I got the letter too from BG, looking at what to do too as everything seems a fair bit more.
  • SavingSteve
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    You have to do something. Inaction will result in your tariff switching to BG's most expensive standard variable rate.

Run a comparison on MSE CEC or A N Other PCW. Use kWhs/year not £s to get an accurate result. Electricity prices are on the increase so my advice is do not wait.
    My thoughts too were to jump at the best price now. Then MSE went and dangled the carrot in this thread to suggest a new collective switch may be in the works, which made me think maybe I should pause my search and wait a few weeks. Decisions decisions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @savingsteve
    Last time MSE ran a collective tariff, it failed totally. They could not get any supplier to offer a cheap tariff as the market prices are rising daily. I doubt they will find any company willing to do a deal this time as well.
    Why in a rising market would any company large enough to handle a 100k new subscribers want to cut a deal as it will be a massive loss leader not only in terms of tariff costs but also the £6m in fees that 100k subscribers would cost the company (MSE gets £60 per new subscriber for a referral)
  • Joanthebone
    Options
    Are you going with Iresa now Martyp ?
  • lewie1966
    Options
    Hi guys I m in exactly the same situation not sure what to do. Received my email this morning from CEC suggesting I swap now or hold out for another collective switch witch could possibly take place. One note of interest I went on U switch to run a comparison then compared it to CEC up to date tariffs. The one intriguing thing I found was the Scottish power March 18 fixed deal has completely different tariffs admittedly there is £30 cash back on CEC but can someone explain why there is different tariffs on the same deal but through two different concerns ? . TBH I'm even more confused now on what to do :mad::mad:
  • Joanthebone
    Joanthebone Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Hengus, I will do something, and as quick as I can, but the possibility of another collective is making me a bit indecisive! I have done a search using Kwh :)
  • DonnySaver
    Options
    It would be good if MSE could give us an indication on when they <might> be able to come up with a collective switch deal.

Will it be before our British Gas deal ends or not ??
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    It would be good if MSE could give us an indication on when they <might> be able to come up with a collective switch deal.

Will it be before our British Gas deal ends or not ??

Hi DonnySaver

Frustratingly, collective rules mean that we're unable to publish dates up-front, plus these things are always slightly changeable during the lead-up to the bidding period so it is difficult to be definitive.

That said, we've run collectives in the past two February's and clearly we're aware that we've lots of Cheap Energy Club members who are on a British Gas tariff which ends at the end of February.

However the energy market is challenging at present, with prices increasing month on month. Given the volume of switches which an MSE collective generates, we also need to ensure that any winner would be able to cope with 100,000+ new customers.

As soon as we know more we'll share it on the site (and most likely in a weekly email).
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    I'm going to wait a few weeks to see whether MSE come through for us
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Massive dilemma over what to do. The mse post above sounds hopeful, but it could go wrong. Perhaps time to 'use' more units up, in terms of meter readings, and delay a switch as long as I dare;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport