We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Someone Is Trying To Register Their Car To My Address

I arrived home from work last night to find a brown envelop from the DVLA. I don't drive, so my immediate response was "she's (my sister) done it again, another speeding ticket, just when she's got her clean license back. On a closer look, the letter was addressed to someone else (a male) who is unknown to us. So I immediately phoned the DVLA to report it. The girl then asked me to open the letter to see what it was, lo and behold it is a V5C/2 that had been incorrectly sent to the DVLA, accompanied by a letter telling the owner he had to wait for the seller to send the V5C.
(Insert own list of expletives) :mad:
I am now in possession of the little !!!!'s - incriminating - handwriting claiming to live at this house.

I then told the girl from the DVLA that this person and car are unknown at the address. I have been advised to send the V5C and a letter explaining what I have told her to the Sensitive Casework dept. at the DVLA, and should receive conformation in a fortnight that the vehicle has no connection with our address. The letter is ready to be posted (I've saved the letter on my computer and scanned the letter - and V5C/2), and will send it by Recorded Delivery

I assume, the 'owner' attempting to send the V52 means the car is not yet registered to this address? Or should I be prepared to be receiving speeding and parking tickets (not that they will be in our names)? Is there a chance this car is stolen?

I just can't get over the nerve (and stupidity) of this person. Did he not think he would be found out when the V52 arrived here?:rotfl:
«13

Comments

  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,410
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is it an old car? Possibly someone trying to register the car as sold so that when they abandoned it, they could argue that it was no longer their car.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    ....will send it by Recorded Delivery......
    No need to spend (waste) money on "Recorded" (signed for) delivery


    Just get a free cert of posting at the post office when you hand it in.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All a bit presumptuous. Could well be an honest mistake
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,742
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    No need to spend (waste) money on "Recorded" (signed for) delivery

    Just get a free cert of posting at the post office when you hand it in.

    Hmm, DVLA have a reputation for losing documents or claiming to have never received them. Since there could be flack from this not being sorted out early, the OP's caution sounds sensible. In fact some advise using only RM 'signed-for' as opposed to Recorded for comms with DVLA.
  • If this had been 2 years ago, I'd have said you've probably got my documents ;)

    I'd just bought a car from a dealer and he got his wired crossed. The receipt, warranty etc had my correct details, but he'd accidental sent the wrong address to the DVLA.

    Only came to light when I phoned DVLA to ask where my V5 was.
    No big deal, as far as they were concerned, just corrected the mistake and sent another to me.

    All sorted with a simple phone call.
  • Apodemus wrote: »
    Is it an old car? Possibly someone trying to register the car as sold so that when they abandoned it, they could argue that it was no longer their car.

    Good point! It's 2002.
  • arcon5 wrote: »
    All a bit presumptuous. Could well be an honest mistake

    Well it obviously not the DVLA's mistake, and I'm doubtful that its the mistake of a seller, seeing the 'new keeper' sent the part of the paperwork that is expressly not to be sent to the DVLA.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,997
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dealer gave DVLA incorrect address for my last purchase. I had quite a job to figure out and sort out their mess.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,283
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Last car I bought brand new and the dealer managed to get my name wrong though the address was correct, had to send it back to the DVLA to be corrected.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hmm, DVLA have a reputation for losing documents or claiming to have never received them. Since there could be flack from this not being sorted out early, the OP's caution sounds sensible. In fact some advise using only RM 'signed-for' as opposed to Recorded for comms with DVLA.

    'Signed For' and Recorded are the same thing.

    Do you perchance mean Special Delivery?

    'Signed For'/Recorded will mean that you know that someone has collected it. Won't mean that it has reached the correct department, though...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.