Is it safe to use my bank on a mobile?

Options

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2017 at 6:38PM
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    i googled 'lloyds banking app for apple' and its free. sounds like you'll have to complete apple account setup with your new card and then get the lloyds app.
    thanks mt, I am leaving lloyds app off, and not Updating my Cc details.
    I don,t intend buying any Apple products, so not happy giving them new Cc details for free Apps.
    I was not happy putting details on when I set up from new!
    Unless they insist, it will stay off.
    I Didn,t need it for free HSBC and Santander apps, so cannot see reason for lloyds free app.

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.:beer:
  • ericpode
    ericpode Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2017 at 7:07PM
    Options
    The thing that puts me off using banking on my phone is the poor rollout of security updates to Android by the handset manufacturers.

It's just a cost to them to test new Android updates with handset models that are no longer on sale, so beyond a year or two you may never get any security (or any other) Android updates.

And Android has had huge numbers of security flaws reported in 2016. Presumably many older handsets will never see these fixed.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/android/27846/android-beats-adobe-flash-for-most-security-flaws-in-2016

Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I just wouldn't chance it. At least security updates for desktops and laptops get installed at frequent intervals for several years while the OS is supported - they don't stop when your computer is a year or two old.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2017 at 9:46AM
    Options
    ericpode wrote: »
    The thing that puts me off using banking on my phone is the poor rollout of security updates to Android by the handset manufacturers.

It's just a cost to them to test new Android updates with handset models that are no longer on sale, so beyond a year or two you may never get any security (or any other) Android updates.

And Android has had huge numbers of security flaws reported in 2016. Presumably many older handsets will never see these fixed.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/android/27846/android-beats-adobe-flash-for-most-security-flaws-in-2016

Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I just wouldn't chance it. At least security updates for desktops and laptops get installed at frequent intervals for several years while the OS is supported - they don't stop when your computer is a year or two old.
    One cannot be over cautious when it comes to banking, that's why I joined this post.
    I agree, the constant updating of these Apps, leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hsbc,s App, is no different than logging in ordinarily, without the key, so I won't be using that,Plus, I would have to log in with the key, once a month, to keep the key viable, (tc's).
    Cannot see how App is safer, It still uses I pad keyboard, not virtual, so still open to keyloggers:
    All banks should use virtual keyboards, Icici bank have used them for years.
    Santanders is easier, But, as I only use it ocassionally, I think I will just stick to logging in via sites kept in favourites.
    Taken them back off my i pad
    Apps may be handier when you are on the move, but, I never bank when out, so, "
    They may give one a false sense of security, and people will log in on unsecured wifi sites
    :beer:
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    One cannot be over cautious when it comes to banking, that's why I joined this post.
    I agree, the constant updating of these Apps, leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hsbc,s App, is no different than logging in ordinarily, without the key, so I won't be using that,Plus, I would have to log in with the key, once a month, to keep the key viable, (tc's).
    Cannot see how App is safer, It still uses I pad keyboard, not virtual, so still open to keyloggers:
    All banks should use virtual keyboards, Icici bank have used them for years.
    Santanders is easier, But, as I only use it ocassionally, I think I will just stick to logging in via sites kept in favourites.
    Taken them back off my i pad
    Apps may be handier when you are on the move, but, I never bank when out, so, "
    They may give one a false sense of security, and people will log in on unsecured wifi sites
    I'm out":beer:

The reason the Apps are safer is because when you first install it they are registered to that device and can only be used on that one device. They also usually use a different login method to the website so even if someone did intercept your login details for the app they couldn't use it anywhere else but your device so it's pretty useless information.

When you login via the website browser if anyone intercepted those details then they could log in from any browser on any device, so obviously less secure.

But as you never use online banking outside your house then you have no real reason to need the Apps.
  • DarkShadow
    Options
    Safest form banking means branch banking. Be safe, be smart.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • bellaboo86
    Options
    I feel really secure using banking apps. They really help me keep on track of my money. With the Natwest App you need a passcode and then if you want to add a new payee you also need to use your card reader. Then, you will get a text telling you that you have set up a new payee as well to confirm.
    I check my accounts daily using my apps so I would easily spot if there was fraud.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    DarkShadow wrote: »
    Safest form banking means branch banking. Be safe, be smart.

Do you have anything to back this claim up?

Most large cash frauds take place in branch.
  • Bloomberg
    Options
    Do you have anything to back this claim up?

Most large cash frauds take place in branch.

The safest banking is cashless banking. Cash can be lost or stolen. If ever you do need to withdraw cash then the NatWest emergency cash is probably the safest option.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Bloomberg
    Options
    bellaboo86 wrote: »
    I feel really secure using banking apps. They really help me keep on track of my money. With the Natwest App you need a passcode and then if you want to add a new payee you also need to use your card reader. Then, you will get a text telling you that you have set up a new payee as well to confirm.
    I check my accounts daily using my apps so I would easily spot if there was fraud.

I too check my accounts almost daily on the apps, this increases security because if there was a fraudulent transaction you become aware sooner rather than later. Apps are the way forward.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    I hope so. I've got 9 bank apps on my phone. Makes managing my accounts very easy.

M&S app seems nice and safe as you can do !!!!!!-all with it.

M&S is the safest for me as I haven't even managed to install it:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport