Best recording box for TV

Options
Can anyone recommend a box for watching TV that also pauses/rewinds and records programmes?

I am currently with virgin and the prices hikes are getting ridiculous, so was thinking of doing a separate broadband/phone and TV deals but we quite like the function that the virgin box has so wondered if anyone could a new one so we can ditch the virgin box?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The best recording box that I've personally used is the Sky HD+ 2TB box although you don't say how you intend to receive your TV in the future.

You can pay a monthly fee to enable the recording function without subscribing to their TV packages although their basic Original bundle with a 1TB Q box is available to new customers for just £20 a month with a one off £15 setup fee.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chan42 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a box for watching TV that also pauses/rewinds and records programmes?
    If you no longer want to watch subscription television, you can do no better than the Humax range of PVR decoders.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chan42 wrote: »

I am currently with virgin and the prices hikes are getting ridiculous, so was thinking of doing a separate broadband/phone and TV deals but we quite like the function that the virgin box has so wondered if anyone could a new one so we can ditch the virgin box?
    For Freesat or Freeview a Humax box is the best.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Humax boxes are widely recommended and I can say from experience that our two have far outlasted the other two brands we had.

They now do one which allows you to record up to four programmes at once, but they may not suit your colour scheme, as they are white or brown, with the black one being exclusive to their online sales.

However, you can get refurbs, from the site, which have a full warranty and are much cheaper than normal retail.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you go with BT sign up to BT TV and their top TV package. For £12 a month for a year you can get their top Total Entertainment package. That gets you a rebadged Humax 4k box plus premium TV channels, BT Sport in HD and 4K and in a year the box is yours and unlike Sky boxes it'll continue to record Freeview without needing a subscription. You end up ultimately getting a 4K UHD Humax Freeview box with a BT TV interface for £144.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, most Humax boxes are pretty good, even the ex youview ones are usually OK. Make sure they are the Humax version though...The tuners are A1 sensitive in all cases.
    Mine falls out occasionally with its HDMI connection & a Tesco TV - but a reboot cures that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cancel it. They will be on the blower to you within days offering you a much better deal to stay.
  • safara
    safara Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Tarambor,

Does the box work in an area where there is no Freeview? I live in a valley in Wales where there is no Freeview. We get Freesat though a dish - and are on the Infinity 2 BB>

So, do these BT Boxes allow plugging in satellite cables for FreeSat ?
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, it wont work.
    Freeview (the one offered with BT/Talktalk Youview boxes) need an aerial.
    Freesat (same system as Sky) needs a satelite dish.
    They are complete different systems and are not compatible with each other.
    You cant connect a freeview box to a satelite dish, it wont work. You will need a freesat box or an old sky box (no recording unless paid subscription).
  • safara
    safara Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation Marcio45 - damn, so, no Universal Channel unless I pay Sky :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure