PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Winchelsea
    Options
    "Margaret", I think I've read five of that series of James Oswald's books, but made the decision not to bother with them again.
    Easy to read, really draw you in, and well written and quite well plotted, but in the end the supernatural element was just too much for me!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I'm big into my self help books. A lot of it is BS but even if it fills me with a sense of hope, motivation, clarity or determination then I'm happy.

My current read is "Tools of Titans" by Tim Ferris.

Essentially it's the highlights of various interviews he's done with people who are successful in their field. Recommended.
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    "Margaret", I think I've read five of that series of James Oswald's books, but made the decision not to bother with them again.
    Easy to read, really draw you in, and well written and quite well plotted, but in the end the supernatural element was just too much for me!

Do you mean too silly or too scary? I find supernatural themes less frightening than more realistic crime fiction, but partly because I can't manage to take it very seriously.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm big into my self help books. A lot of it is BS but even if it fills me with a sense of hope, motivation, clarity or determination then I'm happy.

My favourite ever 'self-help' book is:

S.U.M.O - Shut Up, Move On by Paul McGee

Linky

It made me see things in a different way - lots of humour and a good light but entertaining read.

(PS - how do you post the book images? I just don't seem to be able to do it.)
    :hello:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My favourite ever 'self-help' book is:

S.U.M.O - Shut Up, Move On by Paul McGee

Linky

It made me see things in a different way - lots of humour and a good light but entertaining read.

(PS - how do you post the book images? I just don't seem to be able to do it.)
    51PF1oNFa4L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I liked this so much when I first read it....I photocopied it for reference :o

Years later I came across a copy in a chazzer, bought it and gave it away to someone in need almost immediately. It wasn't in my bag for as long as 15 minutes!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble with their Kindle?

My old one, bought in 2011 for $49 in Walmart served me well, but started playing up last summer. It would jump forward loads of pages when I clicked to turn over, then froze.

I was given a discount on a new Paperwhite, but I'm less than impressed. If I read for a hour, you can bet ill so end ten minutes waiting as it reboots itself. It's also frozen a few times.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I liked this so much when I first read it....I photocopied it for reference :o

Years later I came across a copy in a chazzer, bought it and gave it away to someone in need almost immediately. It wasn't in my bag for as long as 15 minutes!

Yes - must admit I've given a couple of copies to friend but it's backfired a bit - they now tell me to 'SUMO' if I start moaning. I've created monsters :D.

(Put me out of my misery please - how did you post the image of the book?)
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I was given a discount on a new Paperwhite, but I'm less than impressed. If I read for a hour, you can bet ill so end ten minutes waiting as it reboots itself. It's also frozen a few times.

Had a problem with mine - called Amazon and they told me to try resetting it back to factory settings. Apparently some update may not have 'taken' properly. They said to call them back if it didn't work and they'd replace it.

Surprisingly, it did work but had to reload all my books.

So, may be worth a try?
    :hello:
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Tiddlywinks to put in pictures, find a pic of the book online, then copy the page address. If you click on the picture icon when you're typing your post, then you can put the address in the box that comes up and then it should appear in your post. You could try previewing your post to make sure it's worked. Hope I've not explained that really badly!
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Too silly Margaret - couldn't be doing with it!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Too silly Margaret - couldn't be doing with it!

Ah yes I can understand that, they've got even sillier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure