Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nice to know that you had a good Xmas sugar. What you and your siblings do for your brother is lovely. Although its a shame that your grandson couldn't spent Xmas with his Dad, his loss is your gain and I know he would have had a lovely time with you.

I hope your DD and her husband recover from their illnesses, I know its not nice to be unwell, but at least they have sought medical help and it shouldn't be too long before they are both on the mend.

I hope you all have a nice Xmas and I'll 'see' you all again on the new thread.....
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Loviely Ladies....

Hope you,all,had a fab-u-Lous Christmas. I had a lovely time with my boys and their girls. DIL is still struggling with nausea and extreme tiredness but she is now 12 weeks so we are hoping it eases off soon.

She has gone from 24/7 nausea and lots of vomiting To having a window in the later afternoon/early evening where she feels almost human. Bless her she has that “waxy” look that goes with being ill and huge circles under eyes. She really does look very peaky. Also lots of backache and just generally feeling “out of it” and thoroughly uncomfortable at times, she is having a miserable time at the moment. But we had some excitement last week with the first scan.

SUgarbaby - hope your daughter and son in law pick up soon too, it does sound nasty. It’s not the best time to be having lurgies.

I am having a nice quiet day today, I’ve just finished cleaning up the kitchen. Actually everywhere looks pretty good so I’m just going to put my feet up and have a well earned rest. I am not sure about walking today, it’s currently a bit wet and miserable outside, cold and damp and I’ve got killer backache. I might just do so yoga instead......and then have a nice long soak in a salt bath.......before I polish off the last of the trifle. :rotfl:

Other than that it’s just Simple foods today........
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 December 2017 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Hello my friends,

We had a lovely day on the 25th, my darling stepsons (or the hollow-legged ones as I affectionately call them :rotfl:) arrived around lunchtime and didn't go home until late in the evening. We had offered a bed for the night but the oldest had an early start the next day for a footie match. We ate too much and played loads of silly games, they were very appreciative of everything that I prepared and it was lovely to have them with us. It was so very different from any previous Christmas Day but that suited me being the first one without my darling Mum.
    All the presents have been stashed away, the turkey has been stripped, soup made and all leftovers tucked away in the freezer. Now we have the new year approaching with all that entails so have been starting to think about what I would like to achieve in 2018, have some ideas milling around in my head already :D
    Haven't really troubled the sales too much, the only thing that attracted my money was a navy, cord tunic that have been hankering after for the last couple of months so when it popped up in the seasalt sale yesterday I grabbed my chance. If I like it I will need to sort through my wardrobe for something to pass on as am now using the one in, one out policy.
    Good to hear that people enjoyed their big day, hope the poorlies feel better soon, take care all x
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Laine lovely to read about your Xmas. Pleased you were able to enjoy the day, despite missing loved ones.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good to hear that people have enjoyed Christmas with family and friends. I know it's a magic time for children and presents but I think it's the company that makes it for adults.

We had DD1 and DGD1 for Christmas and went to see DD2 and her family on 27th. In between time it's just been the two of us with the usual eating and drinking involved. We're gradually getting back to eating 'normal' food which is quite a relief.

We always play games too on Christmas Day. For years we've played Disney Monopoly but as DGD has now taken it to university (!!) we played a new game called Linkee and really enjoyed it. It's a sort of quiz but you have to guess the link between 4 answers. Great fun.

I've got no plans for the sales either. I wore my (relatively) new White Company jeans out to lunch with a cashmere sweater and got compliments for my 'trendy' jeans. I think it's because they are well cut and soft that makes them noticeable. Some of my jumpers are getting to the stage of being relegated to house clothes but unless I saw a jumper I really loved I could get by until next winter. I suppose it depends on how long the cold weather lasts!:rotfl:

It's gloriously bright here today and we're too far south for snow. My back has been playing up a bit otherwise I'd want to go out walking.

Enjoy the rest of your break all. I'm mulling over plans for 2018.:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello,Lovely Ladies.......

Just back from my walk......it’s a “brisk” wind out there and my cheeks are glowing.......like you Maman my back is playing up so I need to rest now.

I am managing about 5 to 6k steps a day now - without my knee brace. I know it’s not nearly enough, I should be aiming for 10k, however, it’s a lot better than it was and hoping to build up gradually.

Right ......have we been thinking about our plans for next hear. I will start a new thread on January 1st so you’d better be ready........:rotfl:

I have to say I’m really looking forward to 2018. It’s looking good already, my big adventure and my first grandchild. I don’t know if I mentioned it but I have also been offered a job. I don’t think I’ll bother ....... I have other plans ....... but I must admit it was flattering to be asked. Good for the old ego. ;)

I too haven’t bothered with the sales. I did buy a couple of bras online and a book I fancied from amazon but other than that my spending has been very restrained. I need to go into the city tomorrow to buy a few bits and bobs for my holiday but I won’t spend much, it’s mainly toiletries, camera batteries etc. I will meet a friend for lunch whilst I’m at it. One of the ladies from the jolly Dollies widows group.

One of my goals for next year is to get out more, to continue to broaden my horizons, to nurture existing friendships and make new friends along the way.

Btw Indie.....I love your artworks. I bet they really lift your spirits.

Hope you all have a lovely New Years celebration.

I’ll see you all on the other side. .....lol.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2017 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Right ......have we been thinking about our plans for next hear. I will start a new thread on January 1st so you’d better be ready........:rotfl:

I have to say I’m really looking forward to 2018. It’s looking good already, my big adventure and my first grandchild. I don’t know if I mentioned it but I have also been offered a job. I don’t think I’ll bother ....... I have other plans ....... but I must admit it was flattering to be asked. Good for the old ego. ;)

Btw Indie.....I love your artworks. I bet they really lift your spirits.

Hope you all have a lovely New Years celebration.

I’ll see you all on the other side. .....lol.

Glad to hear you've got lots to look forward to in 2018... I'm in reflective mode thinking about plans for next year too but will save my comments for the new thread.

My knee is playing up, I was thinking of going to a Ceroc event tonight but I think a warm epsom salts bath and taping my knee up and saving it for an evening of dancing at the local pub with my local friends tomorrow night would be a better idea, I hate having to sit out while others are enjoying dancing and it was hurting to go upstairs yesterday which is not a good sign - been a bit too relaxed over the Christmas break and that's counterproductive.

Other than that my plans for today include dropping another car load of stuff off at the charity shop - will be my third in recent weeks but I've got a way more to go.

You're right about the art LL, it does lift my spirits. My ex used to talk about not wanting to clutter his place up but to me his flat was cold and sterile and lacking in personality (which did say quite a bit about him on reflection!). Don't get me wrong, I don't like it when rooms are overcrowded with art so you don't know where to look, but a house isn't a home without art to me.

It doesn't have to be expensive - as a student I just had impressionist posters blu-tacked on my walls and from there I "graduated" to the cheap clip frames and onwards. Even now most of my pictures are good quality well framed limited edition prints rather than originals - the artists I like are mainly out of my price range - e.g Paul Horton (the colourful house pictures) has an original on his web site for £3.5k. Although I say that.... I probably spent as much on my Florida trip last year... I guess it's a question of priorities. Something to reflect on for next year.

To be honest I suspect it's a question of not thinking I would get that much more pleasure out of the original than the print so not being willing to pay those kinds of prices. Buying original oils is a different matter as the texture brings something very different to the painting but a pastel (which is what his pictures are) I am not convinced is that much better than a good quality print of the pastel. Plus at the moment I need to put more money into sorting out the walls than what I put onto them...

Not that I won't go on holiday next year, but I won't be doing anything as expensive as Florida for the foreseeable future. Need to economize a bit so I can invest in the house and if I get back on the diet as planned I will have to spend money on more new clothes.

At least I shouldn't *need* to spend much on toiletries, accessories or books etc.

I have a stockpile of toiletries and makeup that are either little used or not at all, passed on a bunch of gift with purchase products that are wrong colours to relatives at Christmas but the rest of the stuff I think I will use eventually.

The only accessory I think I might need is a new brown or tan belt as mine is looking rather worn - I have some footwear and bag purchases from earlier in the year that have had little use so far and plenty of lovely scarves and some new additions to my jewellery collection earlier this year that I am still really enjoying getting wear out of.

I also have a bunch of unread paperbacks in my box room - need to try to get into the habit of reading physical / paper books at home and keeping my kindle for travel while I get through them. I prefer not to carry a real book around outside the house as they are so much heavier and take up too much space in my bag (I am trying not to carry too large ones as it's too easy to then overfill and end up in pain having been unbalanced by a heavy shoulder bag. I have a smart backpack but it's leather and that's rather heavy even empty, probably wasn't the wisest purchase with the benefit of hindsight.

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to talk too much about plans for next year so I should stop here and save something for 2018! Hope however you are all celebrating new year that you have a good one. x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm really enjoying reading the posts about plans for 2018 starting to come in.:)

Like you, indie, I think there's a big difference between clutter and having thing you love around your home. I must admit on the clutter front I'm already tiring of the Christmas decs :( and I, too, must make a few more trips to the CS. I find that cathartic.

Our walls are covered with antiquarian maps, prints and paintings as collecting is one of DH's many hobbies. There are a few limited edition prints but mainly they're originals. The fortunate thing is that as we have an Edwardian house we have picture rails so they can be moves around at will.

Today I must do some food shopping for the week. I've done my meal plan and shopping list and I'm just talking a short break before setting off to the supermarket. Hopefully it won't be too manic and I won't have to trail around to find what I need.

I've been having a few aches and pains lately too. I think it's partly to do with extra dancing but maybe I just need to pay a bit more attention to my bones and muscles generally. I noted the Epsom Salts. I was wondering whether I should plan in more oily fish and maybe take a supplement. Any ideas?

Just jeans and a scarf today as I don't think food shopping and the pub to watch football need anything grander.:D
  • indiepanda
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I've been having a few aches and pains lately too. I think it's partly to do with extra dancing but maybe I just need to pay a bit more attention to my bones and muscles generally. I noted the Epsom Salts. I was wondering whether I should plan in more oily fish and maybe take a supplement. Any ideas?

I am wondering if my aches might be related to having run out some supplements and forgotten to take others. I usually take a good quality fish oil and had started taking some glucosamine too as I got it very cheap on a special offer in Holland and Barrett (I wouldn't usually buy supplements there, nutritionists are pretty negative about the quality). Fish oils have definitely made a difference over the years, got a delivery yesterday so hopefully effect will kick in soon. I also I have a magnesium spray which I need to remember to apply at bed time when my knee isn't taped - I can't always make time for a bath, but that only takes seconds.
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning fabbers!

Can relate to the talk of aches as I have just started crossfit and now ache (to varying degrees) pretty much constantly! Love a good Epsom salt bath, need to pick more up when I pop out later.

I'm mixed on glucosamine as whilst it seems to be the go to thing for joint health it has not been proven to work preventatvely. Supposed to be good if you already have joint issues though. I've just been supping on my protein shakes when I get back in as I can't face food for hours later (and definitely need to eat meals hours before so I don't throw up!).

I've lost an inch of my stomach since I started middle of December but not really any weight but as long as I get smaller that's the main thing. And hopefully less wobbly :rotfl:

I could do with some new clothes but going to hold out until I'm back from Vietnam in Feb. 4 weeks today till I go so hoping my waist shrinks a bit to get in summer clothes then I will buy some new stuff when I'm back. Definitely going to try and get quality instead of cheap as constantly getting holes in my cheap leggings and shirts! Also need to stop buying second hand stuff off eBay all the time as none of it fits! Perhaps need to try on in shops first to check sizing in each brand :think:
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport