PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• LoveKnittingSocks
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome :D

Its not a wooden bookshelf but an old veneer type material in a very very dark brown. I thought it was a good idea to use primer/ undercoat first to make the paint go further - I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not very "crafty" but I like having a go.

My mum told me tonight that she and my dad only paid £12 for it when it was new yesrs and years ago so they've had their money's worth out of it.:D
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    6 bags to the charity shop, only taken youngest 3 yrs to sort out stuff!!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning MMMers

Me and OH did a clear out of the hall cupboard earlier this week. When we first moved in, it was the dumping ground for everything we weren't sure where to put but it's now all organised. 2 black bags for the bin and another for the CS which I will drop off today. Gutted to say my 2 summer jackets were not in the cupboard :( which means I think I must have put them to the CS/thrown them out by accident.

Popped to the supermarket yesterday and ended up getting heaps of ys stuff - sausages, eggs, bread, fruit loaf, crumpets and a pack of spring rolls. Also stocked up on the df marg that I like as it was on special offer. I must stop buying ys stuff for a while as the freezer is full.

Tea last night was chicken, bacon and avocado salad. I love avocado but rarely buy it due to the price, however, last time I was in A!di they were 45p each so I got a couple. Tonight's tea is veggie stir fry to use up some bottom of the fridge veg.

Looks like it's going to be a lovely day again here, I must mind to buy some pegs on the way home so I can start hanging the washing outside.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning all,
    I too could do with a few new pegs but I am looking for wooden ones as the plastic ones break so easily I may have to widen my search a bit I am going to Dunelms tomorrow maybe they have some. I still have a few that I have had for years in my peg bag and they are still going strong :)

Well, had a root around the freezer and found some fish for dinner tonight so along with some peas it will help to minimise my freezer a bit more.

I shall make do with some HM soup from there as well for lunch today as well I will go shopping tomorrow for the first time this month :) as I am trying to use up what I have rather than buy more in ,but need fresh fruit and veg.

Bit mor knitting with my new wool I bought on holiday for my charity blankets last night ,got another three squares done :)every little helps as they say :)

Hope you all have a great weekend and the sun shines down on us all :)

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dinner tonight from the freezer - DH wants a 'Full House' so it will be bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, egg & just found a couple of steak beefburgers so he'll have one of those too - got chips, hash browns or some 'bubble & squeak' cakes - his decision!
    I've also got out all my bits of frozen mash to make up some corned beef hash to freeze for when I'm short of time or CBA. Thats my make do and minimise - havn't mended anything though I do have 7 cushion covers to make over the next few days. Managed to get a lovely heavy chenille type fabric offcut enough to do 4 for £10.00 and another offcut in my local hospice craft shop that will do 2 for £2.50, just got to sort out the last one, might be a patchwork ;)
    Have a good weekend all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Jackie last summer I started putting pegs on my airer of clothes so it could go out on the decking (not enough space for a line or whirly :() and I found DS1 & DS2's wellie pegs from when they were in infant school!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi lovelies

Hope you are all ok. Day five of no spends apart from food. Going well. Making do with what we have. We're having our bathroom done and I wanted to get new towels but my husband has convinced me that just because the ones we have aren't the colour I want doesn't mean I need new ones. He's right of course. So no towels bought.

Shall be spending the next few days meal planning and batch cooking ready for the week. Love a quiet weekend x
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ... We're having our bathroom done and I wanted to get new towels but my husband has convinced me that just because the ones we have aren't the colour I want doesn't mean I need new ones. He's right of course. So no towels bought...

When we did our bathroom 6 years ago, we had towels that didn't suit the new decor, so I dyed them to complementary colours ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LizzieR
    LizzieR Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    We're having our bathroom done and I wanted to get new towels but my husband has convinced me that just because the ones we have aren't the colour I want doesn't mean I need new ones. He's right of course. So no towels bought.

Could you dye the towels to a colour you'd like or to match the bathroom? If they're a lightish colour.... I've never tried dying towels myself, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I find the dylon dyes that you use in the washing machine tend to be really good. I know some people are quite nervous about using them, but I've never had any problems and never had anything accidentally dyed in the next wash....! Perhaps cos I normally put my navy blue towels in for a wash afterwards :-)
  • LizzieR
    LizzieR Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    When we did our bathroom 6 years ago, we had towels that didn't suit the new decor, so I dyed them to complementary colours ;)

Great minds think alike eh?!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport