PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    5 or 6 weeks left to empty my house, today DD1 left with 5 pairs of scissors and a pair of pinking shears, a bedside lamp, a 1 litre glass measuring jug, a 1 litre custard jug, and 15 plastic boxes with lids.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    5 or 6 weeks left to empty my house, today DD1 left with 5 pairs of scissors and a pair of pinking shears, a bedside lamp, a 1 litre glass measuring jug, a 1 litre custard jug, and 15 plastic boxes with lids.

Think it's going to take a while at that rate Hester :rotfl:
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello my lovelies.

I've spent the last few days reading this lovely thread and I'd love to join you all.

I'm hoping MMM will help me to reduce my credit card bill significantly.

I'm from the Norfolk/Suffolk border and I definitely say thank you to bus drivers.

We are a family of three now (previously 7 - 4 children now left home��). I have always cooking from scratch and don't waste anything but I really want to do better in the coming months and years.

I've already picked up a few tips and can't wait to try some more.

Xxx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome Affordmylife.
    Today I've filled 3 bags with clothes, bedding and shoes to take to the CS.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Happy_One
    Happy_One Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Another Brummie here,everyone round here says thank you to the bus driver, young and old
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the thread Afordmylife - lots of friendly support on here and there are other forums to help significantly with CC debt and get that monkey off your back. Look forward to your posts.
    DGD is coming today to minimise my grey roots. New term of Yoga tonight to help minimise my aches. Portioning up the batch of Chilli I made yesterday and putting some chicken thighs in the slow cooker with a YS curry sauce. Will probably freeze that too.
    Sharp frost last night so hope it hasn't had too much impact on my fruit trees an bushes. Glad I haven't planted my beans out yet.
    Have a good day all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Last day of my holiday in the north of England today as we go back to Kent tomorrow.So today we are trawling some of the smaller towns and especially the CS for books ,wool etc :)

I have really enjoyed myself up here, and have found folk so friendly and helpful. Probably ate far too much ,but thats what holidays are for a few treats .Normality will resume by Saturday when I will have shopping,cooking and washing and ironing to catch up on :):):)Next holiday won't be until August so it will be belt tightening and using up existing stuff in stock again :):):)
  • affordmylife
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

I've spent a couple of hours sorting out my finances so I'm a bit clearer what's going on. I get paid tomorrow and hopefully I will be able last the month through.

I've got a huge shopping list for food as we've been living out of the freezer and I'm also going to try and reduce my phone tariff.

So today I've made do with pasta and all manner of random leftovers to feed the family.

I haven't mended anything!!!

I've minimised the number of books in the house by 3 off to the charity shop along with some other bits and pieces.

Hoping to have a nice frugal weekend and see some progress on our house renovations and declutter xx
  • osbornbiscuit
    Options
    Gosh. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post re thank you to bus drivers. Maybe it is just in central London it doesn't happen. Mind you the bus I got on did totally confuse me with THREE exits/entrances and TWO sets of stairs for top deck. 'Up north' we just have the one and no top deck.
    I agree Bury market is brilliant for wool but I try not to go there too often as my wool stash needs to go down a lot more.
    Still trying to minimise the wool by knitting for preemies. Have found a stash of 4ply wool so have knitted a couple of cardies. I forgot how thin the wool was and it takes ages. Can't wait to get back to double as it will feel like chunky!!!
    Mended the iron bird bath today where the bird had fallen off its perch with some waterproof gorilla glue. (The bird was a metal one ). That stuff is really good.
    The list on the front of the freezer is going well. I just need to remember to get the stuff out in the morning!
    Happy bank holiday to everyone. Hope the weather improves
  • affordmylife
    Options
    Hope everyone is managing to have a frugal bank holiday weekend.

I've found a bunch of things to return to the shops.

I've sent six books to my parents.

Another pile to the charity shop and a bag full of clothes to be sold.

I'm crafting away of Christmas presents and have been cooking up a storm all day ready for company tomorrow. I've over poo,ed so we have lots of lovely leftovers.

We're also redecorating so as each it is finished I'm doing a full declutter so this house is becoming much easier to live in.

Have a lovely evening everyone xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport