PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems ages since I last checked in however I have been reading along.

Mended a pocket in OH's trousers then sewed a button on for mine.

We returned from Spain a couple of weeks ago and we both realised how out of condition we were. So we are trying to cut back on food and I am finding recording everything I eat, I have managed to lose 4lb. I have re-joined the local council gym so I can swim. Just have to remember to take it easy and not do too much.

The freezer and cupboard list has worked well. Apart from a tin of ratatouille, best before date 04.2009 - oops!! I did open and smell it and it seemed fine but I just couldn't face eating it as it was a sludgie grey/green colour. I am currently working my way through the Nottingham pasta pile.

I continue to minimise the weeds in the garden. I am trying to find how long I can go without buying anything for the garden at all. I even dried out some tomato pips to see if I can get them to grow!

Last year I managed to only buy things that were reduced for the garden and I was really pleased with the bargains I found. I focused on buying perennials, rather than annuals and so I have split quite a few into new plants. I also have found more than 20 self seed pansies. What's not to like in free pretty little flowers in unexpected places? If I can manage to sell some of my plants, I will treat myself to some plants but that is the only way, unless I am given gardening bits for my birthday.

I managed to make do with my holiday clothes from last year but OH treated me to a new dress and trousers as a thank you for looking after him when he had sepsis. Totally unexpected and it has really cheered me up and helped to re-focus efforts towards fitness and wellbeing.

Managed to mend the three bird feeders from the attacks from the squirrels. I love watching their antics but I wish they wouldn't constantly knock the feeders to the floor. I have now fixed them to the tree with elastic bands, dropped by the postman.

Hope everyone enjoys the Bank Holiday
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've divided up my sewing threads into 3 tubs, one each for me, DD 1 and DD 2. I've also sorted out all my towels, they are all either cream or dark blue, I'm keeping the blue and giving DD the cream ones.
    I've posted the first of three boxes of soap making stuff off to a fellow mse'r.
    We're on the boat t his weekend then I'm back at work and I will fill more charity bags.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello MMMers

Well I finally planted some seeds so we shall see what happens. Next thing to do in the garden is to finally go and buy the fruit tree we'd discussed.

Made scones during the week and didn't have quite enough self raising flour so used up the ends of plain and rice flour plus a bit of brown bread flour. Slightly interesting texture but they tasted fine. I've been using almond milk in my scones and it does give them a nice taste.

I've had a pair of jeans sitting in the cupboard for ages (2+ years) which are too short despite claiming to be a regular length. Inspiration struck today so I took a little bit extra off to make a pair of cropped jeans. They will look very nice with my sandals in the summer.

Not much else to report, I'm busy mending my finances by working lots of overtime. Unfortunately doesn't leave much time for anything else but have been batch cooking whenever I've had time to make life easier.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hester - hope you have a good weekend on the boat. I went on a club rally yesterday, just an overnighter to a local marina 8nm away. Had to navigate through a lock gate to the marina - that was interesting! Had a good evening but the return journey today was a bit of a challenge as the wind had picked up considerably and then the rain turned to sleet halfway home :( Did manage to put the boat back on the mooring but it took me two goes because of tide and wind. Won't need any rocking tonight.
    Made do with bits from the storecupboad for tea - hope that counts as a minimise too. Haven't had chance to mend anything yet though - must try harder
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hello, lots of familiar names here from other threads. I need a bit of incentive to MMM so reporting here will be a good idea.
    I am very lucky in that I get new things when Amazon send me items to review, but this means ever expanding bookshelves, as many of the said items are books. I have to keep what I am given for an alloted time, cannot give it away and certainly cannot sell it, so it's previous possessions that have to go.

I'm on the No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries threads and am keen to minimise my stash. I almost got there a couple of years ago, then Amazon started offering me toiletries and make up. Here is our May thread if you would like to report controlling these. Note the word 'unnecessary'; it's not about not washing or going 'au naturel' but not buying a shower gel because you have five you haven't opened yet.

Although some people feel more comfortable with a decent stash of stuff 'just in case'; anyone who has ever had to wash their hair with washing up liquid will sympathise, I am sure!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    making do with Ham salad and using up the ham I brought home from my holiday today .mending I will finally do a small repair to a door hook which fell off about january :) I actually bought some hollow door raw-plugs as it was the reason it fell off in the first place :)
    That's a definite job to do today. I seem to have a to-do list and a been-done list and I must get some from one and get them onto the other :):):) as its a rainy Bank Holiday Monday it seems like a plan today :) and that was I shall be minimising one list at least

have a good day chums

JackieO xx
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm not a regular poster on here, more of a lurker but I enjoy reading about what you are all up to and it keeps me inspired. As it's a bank holiday I have a little more time than usual to spend on myself and my home and garden, which is lovely. I have just planted some seeds, courgettes and dwarf French beans which will hopefully go in the garden when it gets warmer. Yesterday I potted on some plug plants I ordered of begonia apricot shades, my favourite for containers and baskets. They should give my home a splash of colour in the summer.

We had to make do yesterday of what was left in the fridge as we were away last weekend and I haven't had time to do a big shop. I made a big pan of butternut squash soup and it was delicious. I put a few chilli flakes in as well to give it a bit of a kick. My husband loves chilli!

Today I'm going to walk to my local town to return some shoes I changed my mind on. I also need some stationery for the new year's files for a club I do some admin for.

Will be paying Mr Ald! a visit later on too before I go for a run. I have just entered the London Marathon 2018 ballot. Let's see if I'll be lucky!

Have a good day everyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dismal bank holiday Monday here in Suffolk. We've just had bacon and egg sandwiches for lunch. Hubby had to go and get the eggs from the chickens as we had used them all up yesterday. Those girls are a joy.

I'm going to declutter the bedroom in a while and try and get rid of some more stuff I don't need or use.

I'm making a gift for a baby due any day to save my pennies of a bought gift. Just need to get a card.

Hope everyone is feeling good and have a great day xx
  • LoveKnittingSocks
    Options
    Hello, I hope you don't mind me joining in. I've been a lurker for years but today I thought I'd do my own MMMing. I'm in the process of emptying my mum's home - she's now in a nursing home. I brought home an old bookshelf she doesn't want, I've sanded it and its just had a first coat of primer ready for painting which will also help us minimise half an old tin of primer and the remainder of a tin of chalk paint.

I've also just finished knitting my first pair of Christmas socks (my target is 9 pairs!) which is helping to minimise my wool stash.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend x
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello, I hope you don't mind me joining in. I've been a lurker for years but today I thought I'd do my own MMMing. I'm in the process of emptying my mum's home - she's now in a nursing home. I brought home an old bookshelf she doesn't want, I've sanded it and its just had a first coat of primer ready for painting which will also help us minimise half an old tin of primer and the remainder of a tin of chalk paint....

:wave: Welcome to the thread :)

BTW, I don't think you need primer for chalk paint.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills