PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in Berkshire and we always thank the bus drivers.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • SCFC1961
    SCFC1961 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in Staffordshire and always thank the bus driver
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm in South Hampshire and we also thank the bus driver on getting off the bus, not just oldies like me but folks of all ages.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

......Anyone noticed that they seem to be putting their prices up. I try to keep an eye out for books on my 'to read' list but our local BHF has now put the price for paperbacks up to £2.00. I know that times are tough but from £1.00. then £1.50 and now £2.00 in the space of a couple of months. It just makes me stop going in there and I know I am not the only one. Still have a pile of stuff to put on that auction site.

On a totally different note...... living up here in the north we seem to have a quaint custom that everyone who uses buses follows and I got very strange looks in London when I did it down there. Everyone when getting off the buses automatically says thank you to the bus driver. Does it happen anywhere else?
    Hope the weather stays good for tomorrow. I have another 4 fence panels to paint.

Hi Osborn, I'm with you, in that I find the BHF is particularly dear. I have never bought a book from there because their prices are so high. Jigsaw puzzles are just as bad..... £5.99 ! £5.99.... I don't think so. I consequently go to Barnardos ... I have a good one near me and also the St Josephs Jospice who are extremely cheap.... 99p or 1.99 at the most.

Your other comment about bus drivers is very much something we do in Liverpool. My brother has been a driver for 27 years and my dad was one for 15 yrs until ill health forced his retirement .... it' nice that people say thank you to them. During his time as a driver, my brother has had a knife pulled on him .. twice; been spat at; and I'm not sure there are enough fingers and toes in Liverpool to count on the amount of times he's been called all manner of names because he won't let folk off at the lights, when the stop is across the road. Back in the day when my dad drove, a fellow driver let someone off at the lights, they tripped broke their ankle and sued the company. I don't get where people feel they have to go to so urgently, that they can't wait a minute or two to get across the road to the stop. At the end of the day, drivers are just doing their job, so give them a break. I'll slink back out now.:rotfl:
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'm from the West Country and most of us thank bus drivers when we get off.

Cue for move to West Wales and notice that most people thank them here as well.

It's automatic to do so to me - though I never quite know why we all do - but I do so anyway - as I'm so "trained" into saying "thank you" for pretty much everything that I have to make a conscious effort not to do so if there is an occasion where someone doesn't deserve a "thank you" (eg a bus driver that has driven very carelessly - so I've had a few times recently where I've bitten my tongue rather than thank them - as a mild unspoken reproof for not being careful of our safety in the way they were driving).

In the main though - at a final bus stop - there is a constant stream of "Thank you"s to the driver as everyone disembarks at once.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    everyone round my neck of the woods says Thank you even school kids! But I got a bus to a different area recently, a bit further in towards Central London and it was noticeable that nobody said Thank you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Up here on the sunny Lancashire coast everyone says thank you, in a variety of accents & some different languages, it seems to be a common and an accepted show of appreciation by passengers.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • imataloss
    imataloss Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Lindlou wrote: »
    I always say thank you to bus drivers and I notice a lot of other people do too and this is in Birmingham! Mainly older people tho'...

I`m from Birmingham and I do too :)
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in North Lincolnshire and I thank the bus driver too!

There are an awful lot of rude people about though....

I was brought up to say Please and Thank You but using these seem to be in the decline.... I must be old fashioned but I get quite annoyed when my doctors reception tells me to 'sit down' without even looking at me rather giving eye contact and saying 'please take a seat'

A little bit of courtesy makes a world of difference!
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• alice-mary
    alice-mary Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    [I was brought up to say Please and Thank You but using these seem to be in the decline.![/QUOTE]

I was taught to do the same and when I was at uni and first started using cash point machines, my friends thought it was amusing when I thanked the machines! Just shows how well trained I was (and still am, although I no longer talk to hunks of metal), doesn't it :-)

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport