How do I convert my Euro coins to Sterling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Edelman
    Edelman Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. But add on the cost to post it, which I think will be over £1, and I would loose over 10% of the value of what I am sending to be exchanged. Nice idea, but......
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Edelman wrote: »
    I have returned from Spain, possibly for the final time, and have 9 euros to convert back into about £7.50.

3 of those euros are in coins, but no bank or PO will take them.
    So how do I convert them, or am I now stuck with them forever?

And why don't they convert them??

Depends where in the country you are but I travel a lot and always end up with dregs of coins in local currency

Have a look at https://www.fourex.co.uk - simple machines to use in some London stations/shopping centres - to an extent ignore the ex-rate as currently they're worth nothing to you

Alternatively try a friend/neighbour who's travelling in the near future and trade them that way
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find the charity boxes located at many airports that take any currency for good causes is a good way to get rid of coins, or if flying BA, their Flying Start programme is a very worthy cause and cabin crew will provide an envelope to donate.

Although not very money saving, I just get rid of any unused coins after a trip as they are too cumbersome, but can do more good to a charity than being stuck in my luggage doing nothing until the next trip.....assuming I go to the same place I can use the coins.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Edelman wrote: »
    I have returned from Spain, possibly for the final time, and have 9 euros to convert back into about £7.50.

3 of those euros are in coins, but no bank or PO will take them.
    So how do I convert them, or am I now stuck with them forever?

And why don't they convert them??
    Take a dover/calais £1 day trip.........buy a coffee onboard.......sorted
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • davethetaller
    Options
    Don't worry: just spend the coins. You don't have to go to Spain but can use them all over France and Germany. Even if your passport has expired, many places in touristy regions of the UK would accept them: probably you could exchange your Euro for a cup of coffee at a major attraction.

I think that you will need more than the one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure