edited 29 December 2016 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
36 replies 3.5K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 29 December 2016 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 29 December 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, very cold and frosty, yesterday was awful - very cold, frosty and fog that didn't lift all day - it looked like it was clearing then 10 minutes later it was even worse! - thankfully it's cleared a lot over night.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, boys both still in their pits, I'm now enjoying first cuppa and porridge, having had a lovely hot shower and am now dressed.

Dinner last night was frittata - it had bacon, mushrooms, peppers and cheese in it - all items from the fridge that needed using up, I also re-heated the LO veg, I sprinkled it with some herbs, balsamic vinegar and worcester, then grated some mature cheese over it, I also cooked a tray of curly fries, we had this with coleslaw, pasta salads etc, so a good amount of fresh items used up that otherwise would have been binned today - family ate it, but don't think they were that impressed - there was nothing wrong with any of it, I'm just not throwing food away anymore - so they need to get used to it! They helped themselves to the LO desserts with cream etc. Tonight will be a bit more normal - it'll be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Yesterday work was a lot more busy than I'd expected, but manageable, I'm now on days' off until Saturday - I'm working just the morning, then off until Tuesday, working Wednesday then have the following week off, so will then not be going back to work until Monday 16 January.

Today I'll be going to local town first thing, to visit the building society and bank, want to get there first thing as yesterday colleagues said they were queuing out of the doors at several. Then to mum's as younger sis and her family are there and leave today to visit my bro and sil, will then come home and potter along doing what chores are needed, I may get boys to get boxes down and take all the decs down.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Another frosty start for us. The frost is so thick I thought it had been snowing. A cold but sunny day is forecast.

LWW I hope yesterday's funeral went as well as it could do. COXY thoughts are with you for the forthcoming funeral. NRA I really felt for you reading your post. It's so sad how you are being taken for granted and it's no wonder you feel bitter about it. You really must push Social Services for more input before things get any worse for you.

We have an early start this morning as it's Mr TA's Oncology appt in Leeds which was postponed from last week when he wasn't fit to go. It's now 5 weeks since his last injection and it's starting to tell on him with the effects of the last one wearing off over Christmas. No doubt we will have to do battle with lots of sales shoppers in Leeds between trains and busses on route for the hospital.

We should have been looking after the DGD's this afternoon and then for a sleepover but DD asked their dad and DP instead, who were happy to oblige under the circumstances. I hate letting DD down but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Have a good day all if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for LAINEY and DM. Thinking of the other poorlies and sad too. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks.

Sorry to hear about your beloved pet tiredmum. He had a few happy years with your family.

My mum picked up a bit last night, it's brilliant what a bit of TLC does. This morning I'll pick up her prescription from the pharmacy bedire doing a little shopping. Then I'll head into town for a short time as I need to do a bit of banking. I'll not be doing any buying!

I hope all is well. Happy Thursday.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone, thanks for the the thread nmlc, hope you enjoy the family visit.

Tired out as had a rough night, DB had to call the out of hours doc out to administer morphine injection as the pain is such that the normal levels are no longer working. We have our hospice lady coming today and I really hope that we will now get the help we need to see DM through this last stage. It's tough and the lady deserves a peaceful end.
    Thinking of Coxy and her family, take care all x
  • edited 29 December 2016 at 7:52AM
    dumplingdumpling Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2016 at 7:52AM
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's quite cold here this morning but I am sat here with the back door open so the dog can have his morning wee :). I am suffering a bit with a bad tum and got up a few times in the night needing the loo TMI I know. Never mind, I am dosed up now on imodium so hopefully things will calm down.

I am supposed to be going out with my lovely CMHT lady this morning but I will have to see how my tum is first as I wanted to go to the beach and sit and watch the dogs run around. I am looking forward to going out so much as I have a bit of cabin fever but I definitely do not want to go near a shop.

Hubby has requested gammon, egg and chips for tea as we still have so much meat left over. I am not going to buy such huge pieces next year, I don't know what I was thinking about really as there is only the 5 of us and 2 of the girls are not big meat eaters anyway.

We took down all the Christmas decorations a couple of days ago and it still feels like a relief to go into the living room and see it bare. I love putting them up but as soon as Christmas day is over I can't wait to get them put away again.

Anyway, I am off to make myself a cup of tea. I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

ETA, Hugs to you Lainey, I hope you get your wish for your mum to have a peaceful end. I really hope she gets the right pain relief too xxx
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]tiredmum I'm so sorry about your dog :cry: RIP little man xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hope today's not too stressful TravellingAbuela xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thinking of you both Coxy and Lainey xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My printer and laptop wouldn't communicate, nothing would fix it so I uninstalled the printer and installed it again, still nothing. It's wireless, when I first got the printer I turned it on, the laptop picked it up and a few clicks later, it worked. We got a new modem recently, I realised it hadn't worked since then so I looked for solutions online. I had to enter our Virgin password into the printer in order for it to work. I had no idea this had to be done, I've never come across it before, three laptops in the house worked just fine with the printer without entering passwords with the old modem. There are no error messages now but I haven't tried printing yet, I was so frustrated by the time I'd finished faffing with it all that I just turned it all off and sat down to eat instead :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've sorted through most of the food, there's enough turkey and ham to keep us going for quite a while. By the time I'd sliced and portioned it, and sorted a few other things, the freezer was full. I won't be spending much on food for a couple of weeks, this makes me very happy, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not much happening here today, it's very frosty so just a couple of short walks, we'll spend most of the day indoors. I'm not sure what to do with myself yet but I'll make sure it's enjoyable and relaxing, mr tru is off work for four days from tomorrow and he'll cause chaos and annoy me, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]

I'm missing your carols tru!
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm all carol-ed out :D But if you fancy a sing-along, here's a link to my fave song from The Muppet Christmas Carol :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • lonewhitewolflonewhitewolf Forumite
    278 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Morning all x
    Thanks TA the service was as expected so sad time.
    It was te journey home that was worse. Left London at 3 and from 3.30 to 10.30 was stood at side of motorway freezing cold as car had broke down. There will be a major complaint going in today to the recovery people.
    Finally got home at 11.30 and I had not eaten since 8am when I had porridge. Was too tired to do anything bit crawl into bed and try to thaw out. Woke this morning snuffling so will not be suprised if a cold does the rounds here.
    Today we have a mobile mechanic coming out to check the car so more expense.
    Today I have to catch up on washing and cleaning and cook the joint of beef for dinner tonight.
    DD2 not happy as she has had to go to work today. DH is still in bed but will leave him there for a while.
    Anyhoo stuff not going to get done this way
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Morning all
    Thank you for your sympathy re Ziggy my heart is broken but he carries on as his beds are going to the local dogs home his canned food and xmas treats that he didn't have are going to a charity for the homeless who have dogs in London
    I don't think i can bear taking another oldie right now as he was the 3rd one we had and this upset is too much too take still i know we did the right thing for him

Right onwards and upwards today tidying up beds to be changed and copious amounts of washing to be done goodness knows what dinner will be as my freezer is bursting but not with every day meals i was lucky the other day to be in As*a when all the turkey crowns and other roasting joints were reduced may do ham egg n chips tonight
    Hugs to all those who are struggling at the moment
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
  • nmlcnmlc Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning

Lainey - sorry your DM is suffering - maybe it's worth asking the hospice lady if they can fit DM with a morphine device (I can't remember the name but it adminsters the morphine on a more regular basis and keeps the patient pain free). These devices really help - there's nothing worse than watching someone you love in pain, we had an ill person going through the same earlier this year, accept all help and support anyone can give you and your family. It may be worth also talking to Macmillan - they can provide nurses overnight to stay in patients home so at least family can get a night's sleep and be woken if necessary. Maybe it'd also be worth talking again about a hospice or Macmillan ward at local hospital - they were amazing with our ill person, and the care was excellent and we had the support and back up we needed.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • edited 29 December 2016 at 8:40AM
    cliffsgirlcliffsgirl Forumite
    366 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 29 December 2016 at 8:40AM
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Morning everyone, thanks for the the thread nmlc, hope you enjoy the family visit.

Tired out as had a rough night, DB had to call the out of hours doc out to administer morphine injection as the pain is such that the normal levels are no longer working. We have our hospice lady coming today and I really hope that we will now get the help we need to see DM through this last stage. It's tough and the lady deserves a peaceful end.
    Thinking of Coxy and her family, take care all x

LaineyT when my dad had cancer he had a morphine driver, could your mum get something like that. It helped my dads pain greatly.
    My dad was also in a Macmillan unit for the last 2 weeks and they were very good and it took some of the worry away knowing he was being cared for and pain free
  • SpekySquareheadSpekySquarehead Forumite
    3K Posts
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

Back to work today for the next 3 days. I felt a bit lost during the Xmas break, not knowing what day or date it was half the time so it'll be good to get back into a routine.

Coming down with a sore cough so hope it doesn't escalate to anything else. Decided to skip the gym today and likely tomorrow too given I'm not 100% so I've nothing particular to shout about.

Lainey - thinking of you.
    Dumpling - hope you feel better soon
    LWW - oh dear, what a day you had of it. Hope you don't come down with anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides