Ready to do it all over again ...

Options

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Tallgirl, the savings are needed in case things go wrong with ds at school over the next 2 years as I would then need to home educate (and give up my job). Assuming we make it that far without that happening then I may pay some of it off as a lumpsum.

I was thinking while I was at the hairdressers with ds - while he's having counselling sessions I will not pay money into the car fund / car maintenance fund. Basically the car fund is to go towards a new one - I have only had this one for 18 months so hopefully quite a few more years in it yet ;) The car maintenance fund currently has £623 in it, the mot isn't due until Feb and the car isn't that old, so again hopefully I can afford to miss a few months payments into that fund. My best mates other half is a mechanic too, so if it needs anything doing I have someone very reliable to call on :)

This will mean that I will have an extra £80 a month, and 2 x counselling sessions a month = £90, so only £10 to come out of the spends budget.

The tesco delivery saver should stop me popping to Sainsbury's which is just around the corner now, as it's much more expensive than Tesco's.
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,582 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Makes sense sounds like counselling is money well spent and agree car fund should be ok mines 4 years old had it from new fingers crossed not cost me a penny yet.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,578 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad the things are good at this moment in time benben.
    That is all any of us can ask for TBH.
    At this moment in time.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Morning all, another sunny morning here :D

Today is payday, so I can make sure everything is where is should be for the month ahead. I have done 2 surveys so far today, I need to stay on top of them and start earning some pennies ;)

Today we're going bowling with friends which should be nice. Other than that I might tackle the ironing (I'm wild ;) ), maybe change the beds too.

I didn't speak to my brother last night, I will try him again later on.

For June I have got cash ready for my food / petrol / spends, so I will try not to touch the bank account. If i need to buy anything online I will move the equivalent cash amount into a pot ready to go back into the bank. Let's see if this helps me stay on track :)
  • benbenandme
    edited 1 June 2017 at 7:58AM
    Options
    Morning all, so a new month has arrived :) I'm sat in the conservatory with a cup of tea and a big fat pigeon is plodding around the garden. I stripped my bed when I got up so the duvet cover is currently in the washing machine :)

Yesterday was a lovely day - we went bowing with friends and then to a new crazy golf place which was great, the sun was shining, we had lots of laughs, it was a lovely day. In the evening I dropped ds at the station as his new camcorder has arrived (he has saved up for it to do some youtube filming of trains). I took the dog down the beach for a bit while he was there.

Today is a day of appointments - I'm taking Mum to Sainsburys at 9 before it gets busy as she doesn't like it crowded, then ds and I are going to the forest to walk / film trains with a picnic. After that Mum needs a lift to the dentist at 4 and then ds has his counselling appointment at 5.30.

I have a few bits and pieces to fit in, either today or over the weekend;
    • Clean out the car
    • Fill windscreen wash in the car
    • Pay friend back for yesterday
    • Replant fuchsias
    • Wash back door curtains
    • Move some plants to the front of the house
    • Pay in money at the bank
    • Move money into savings
    • Change ds bedding
    • Find addresses for ds work experience
    • Submit meter readings
    • Tax credits renewal form
    • Put up new washing line
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Taken Mum to Sainsburys - spent £9 on a few bits while I was there. I think I should be okay for food until the end of the weekend, then will need another shop.

The second load of washing is now on the line, the first lot is almost dry already :) Time for another cup of tea :)
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Been a lovely day down here, we took a picnic and went to the forest, ds spent a couple of hours filming passing trains, the dog and I chilled under the shade of a tree :D I did however manage to burn my arm, only one despite me making sure I turned around several times :o

I dropped ds at his counselling appointment, I've come home and sorted dinner and he should be back in about 20 minutes.

The bed has been remade with the summer duvet, looking forward to a better nights sleep tonight ;) The ironing pile is starting to build up again, I need to tackle that soon. I will do ds bedding at the weekend when he's at his Dads. He commented today that he doesn't know why he bothers going, he hasn't heard from his Dad at all since the last time he went, no calls or texts at all :( Last time he came home early because they were off to a baby exhibition, he is definitely feeling pushed out by this baby, it will only get worse once it's born :cool:

Anyway, tonight I have a chilling evening planned, dinner in the garden, a nice bath, water my plants and an early night :D
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Morning all, I had a much better nights sleep with the lighter duvet last night :)

This morning I have been to town and paid in a load of cash that had accumalated in my drawer - ds gives me £10 each week, if I do Mums food shopping online she gives me cash, and I rarely spend it, I automatically use my debit card. Anyway, that's all now squirrelled into my account, although I have left out enough cash for my spends for the month. Petrol and food money has been banked though as I tend to use my card for those.

I have had an offer through for a Nectar credit card today, I've never had a credit card in my life as I don't see the need when my debit card does it all quite happily. However, if I spend £2000 in 3 months on this one (can be done quite easily ;) ), I will earn 30,000 nectar points, worth £150, which can be spent on my food shopping and the equivalent money transferred to savings. I will think about it some more today but it does seem like a good deal. I will then cancel the card after the 3 months.

I have also submitted my meter readings this morning, done a load of washing, moved some plants out to the front garden and had a general tidyup.

When I went out earlier I popped into the £shop and spent £7, I got dog poo bags, sugar soap, sandpaper, dust sheet, a Russell Howard dvd for ds and a cheapy chess set. I did teach ds years ago but he's forgotten how to play, so we will do that later. I'm also going to paint the downstairs loo this weekend, it's small and will just be white paint but it will freshen it up a bit.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,582 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a great offer on the credit card also don't you get double points if you use it in Sainsbury? It's handy to have a credit card slightly more protection when booking things and also delays paying it back by a few weeks. I always pay mine on time so it doesn't cost me anything but I earn extra points. Just my 2 pence worth. Enjoy your busy day.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh great credit card deal, got to be worth it if you can make the spend/payment work for you. We only have a credit card for purchasing big things for the insurance and for the points, I'm normally paying it off as we're driving home after the purchase.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure