How complicated will it be to switch to an electric oven?

Options
contrivant
contrivant Posts: 58 Forumite
So we currently have a gas hob and separate, built in gas oven. I freaking HATE the oven. I'm really struggling to bake properly in it and it loses loads of heat if I open the door for even a second. And I have to open the door to turn things or they end up burnt on one side.

I love the gas hob and would prefer to keep that, but I'm just wondering how difficult it's going to be to make the switch. I basically want to switch to a built in electric fan oven. I'm guessing there will be some sort of electric behind the oven if only to run the clock and lights? Would I need to get some rewiring done if I'm just going with a single electric fan oven?

I'm guessing I'd need to get a gas engineer in to cap off the gas supply to the current oven.

Anyone ever made the switch?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 December 2016 at 11:00AM
    Options
    contrivant wrote: »

I'm guessing I'd need to get a gas engineer in to cap off the gas supply to the current oven.
    Not necessarily. The last two gas appliances I changed had bayonet fittings on the rubber connecting pipe, and when it was removed the supply socket self-sealed as it's supposed to do.

Some ovens can be run from a standard socket, but it depends on the current the oven draws on maximum power. I had one wired like that in a number of different rooms while we were refurbishing. The power requirements were clerly shown on the side of the oven casing.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Have you ever had the kitchen refitted or had the oven out since you have lived in the property?
    If not, you might be lucky and find that when you remove the gas oven that there is a blanked off electrical cooker point behind it.
    Many double ovens often need at least 30A and in some cases a bit more so a 40A supply is really ideal, especially if you get the wiring sorted before you decide on a oven.
    But as with most things electrical, it's best to consult a trusted electrician for the best advice.

As Dave.. states, some single ovens are rated well below 13A so can be run from an existing socket.
  • contrivant
    Options
    No we haven't had the oven out yet. We just moved here a few months ago. I'm hopeful though since it's an older place that maybe she had an electric oven at some point.

I'm definitely wanting just a single, so hopefully we'll get lucky.

Is it very difficult to take an oven out (and then put it back in)? Like something we can DIY? I'd be interested to see what's back there, in case it's something we can do sooner rather than later.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Every situation varies, but my ovens have been held by 4 screws, which I've just removed before sliding them forward and out. None has been particularly heavy, so two of us have managed this easily.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    They're very easy to get out. Usually theres just a few screws in the front somewhere and once undone it should slide right out.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    To save you pulling out the gas oven, have a look at your consumer unit / fuse box. If a seperate cooker feed exits it will be labled as such.
  • contrivant
    Options
    Ah no such luck then. Will see about getting an electrician in to give me some advice/a quote.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take it there's no fuse or circuit breaker named 'Cooker' or 'Oven' on the consumer unit, then?
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 December 2016 at 2:31PM
    Options
    We switched from all gas to gas hob/electric single fan oven 3 years ago.

I went to the trouble of getting a spark to put in a separate cooker circuit thinking this was what was required (this was not a 2 minute job but as we were having the kitchen redone, it was no real issue on the mess front) yet when the single electric oven arrived, it had a standard 13amp 3-pin plug on it and was rated for a normal socket.

At least ive got the proper circuit there if I ever switched - and I guess there is no chance of the current cooker overloading it.

My gas supply was as described above - a kind of twist off pipe that seals itself when you disconnect however I did have to get a gas man in to properly connect my gas hob as that was a change because previously i had a combined cooker/hob with one supply- doesn't sound like an issue for you though.

In answer to your question - in my experience it should be easy for you IF you get a single electric oven as it sounds like your gas hob is to remain and is separate anyway.
    What I don;t know is what happens if your cooker is on the same circuit as say, your kettle and you switch everything on at once.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    What I don;t know is what happens if your cooker is on the same circuit as say, your kettle and you switch everything on at once.
    The integrated fan oven I dragged around my house while renovating drew 1700 watts max, somewhat less than a kettle.

So, it would be no worse than using two kettles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure