We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How complicated will it be to switch to an electric oven?

Options
2»

Comments

• contrivant
    Options
    Nope, no fuse labeled cooker or oven. A mess wouldn't be a huge deal as I wanted to retile behind the oven anyway, but that may mean I wait a bit longer before getting it done so I can plan it out. I'll decide on an oven and then see what a sparky says.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The vast majority of single ovens now available require a 13 amp supply, so can run off a plug on a standard socket. The higher wattage ovens are from yesteryear and a dying breed - ovens are better insulated so don't leak the heat so much (hence the double, triple and quadruple glazed doors). A double oven might warrant a 16 amp supply, but not much more than that.

During my kitchen install I bought two ovens that were both marked as requiring 16 amp supplies. My sparky installed two supplies, but when he came to fit the ovens found that one of them was actually 13 amp on its label, so set it up with a plug and put a socket on the end of the dedicated supply! Bloody frustrating to know I paid for all that set up, but I guess I'm good for the future if I change things again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport