We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Boots Sale

Options

Comments

• moneysaver890
    moneysaver890 Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2017 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Don't know about the stock but would avoid Meadowhall Boots sale, it's like a free for all rugby scrum and you have a job to get near the shelves.

I went two years running and would never do it again

Ohhh not good then! I want to go shopping not a rugby scrum lol My local isn't usually bad even though theres always a queue. People are always polite, no pushing and shoving so think I'll stick with there. Thanks for the warning :)
  • catswiththumbs
    Options
    cagsd wrote: »
    I was a seasoned pro of the Boots 75% off sale harking back to around 2005. Every year either my mum or I would manage to find out - or work out - when it would take place, and I'd be there as the store opened, along with maybe half a dozen other shoppers - we'd stroll round calmly, picking things up off the shelves, take our time looking at them and I'd come home about 9:30 with about 4 huge bags containing £100s worth of stuff to do all the birthdays that year and some towards next Christmas!
    This pleasant, leisurely sale fashion continued until about 2012, when I was shocked and horrified to arrive a minute or two after the shop opened, to find hordes of large, rough women with two trolleys each, just shoving their arms out and swiping stuff off the shelves! What on earth had happened to the sale I so enjoyed? Oh yes, it had been publicised everywhere, that's what. The world and his dog were there and it was no longer fun. For a couple of years I continued to go but just timidly reached out past the grabbers and bought 2 or 3 items, rather than the bags full I used to get.
    Then the discount was reduced and it became a 70% sale. Not sure if it was coincidence but this seemed to be the same time that the full prices had rocketed. Where you used to get a lovely gift for say £12 full price (so £3 at 75% off) it would now be £20 for pretty much the same thing, so £6 after 70% off. Not only did the prices go up, but the quality of the gifts went down.
    So in 2015 I decided I wasn't bothering again, and it seemed strange not to get caught up in the hype but I figured it was such an unpleasant experience and the gifts were such non-bargains, that what was the point.
    Last year I did pop in around lunchtime on Sale day as my mum wanted to have a look, but the shelves were bare other than some Lynx sets that were cheaper everywhere else anyway, and some wrapping paper!
    I really believe that this sale became a victim of its own success. It's sad but I'm just not interested in it any more, it was fun while it lasted though!

You're right about people swiping stuff off the shelves, seeing as I am always stopped from buying any more than 6 of an item even when they are full price I wonder why they are allowed to do it. I wonder if the rule about "You're only allowed 6" only applies to me and the local stores I go in. It never applies to the sale when people are filling shopping trollies with many more than 6 of the same thing. Sorry but it's my pet hate and I feel I'm being victimised!!!!!!!
  • Tescodealqueen
    Options
    Ohhh not good then! I want to go shopping not a rugby scrum lol My local isn't usually bad even though theres always a queue. People are always polite, no pushing and shoving so think I'll stick with there. Thanks for the warning :)

Fargate in Sheffield always used to be good but I haven't been for about 5 years, maybe someone who has been there more recently can say whether it is still a friendly sale experience. My job moved so I no longer passed the store on my way to work. It was great while it lasted
  • lucys_mum
    lucys_mum Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    didn't even bother. like the rest of you it was wonderful, fun and stress free but I think Boots are engineering this now:( and there are no real bargains, most sold!! And absolutely nothing on line.
    Miss Boots next year
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fargate in Sheffield always used to be good but I haven't been for about 5 years, maybe someone who has been there more recently can say whether it is still a friendly sale experience. My job moved so I no longer passed the store on my way to work. It was great while it lasted

Always a massive queue down Fargate before the store opens, gets very crowded and congestion in the aisles but usually quite civilized.
  • Africat
    Options
    Don't know about the stock but would avoid Meadowhall Boots sale, it's like a free for all rugby scrum and you have a job to get near the shelves.

I went two years running and would never do it again

Good stock levels when I was in a week or so back, plenty of Soap & Glory.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    cagsd you're right, it's a victim of its own success. I'd bought a few bits in the 75% sale before but it had never occurred to me to queue up and go when it opened until a few years back. I did come out with a massive S&G set then, except later in the year I figured there wasn't that much in it I actually wanted and prob broke even selling the bits I wasn't going to use.

Now it's like the Next sale (not that I've ever been) where greedy people just grab whatever they can whether they want it or not half the time.
    That said, I did get some nice Xmas cards in next this year when I popped in on a whim.

Let's hope this year's Boots sale is met with people actually remembering their manners.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Africat
    Options
    I also agree, not what it once was.
    There's bargains to be had pretty much all year round nowadays so no real need to go mad and hoard it all year.
    As mentioned a few posts back some retailers reduced there's ages ago to 70% off or more - Boots always seem to be pretty much the last, apart from Debenhams that is who sit on stock at only 30%off for months!
    No doubt Boots will have some new Star Gifts on the shelves too soon for Valentines Day & Mothers Day & then again in the Summer, not such a deal when they're sold half the year at that price anyway & with so much excess packaging usually in an impractical box like the Sanctuary one that's not good for storing things in.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stratford Upon Avon Maybird store still has loads of S&G gift sets (no star gifts) plus the Ted Baker and No7 star gifts easily 50+ of each, I think they've got more Ted Baker sets in as there wasn't that many last week but the no7 sets haven't shifted at all. Still other bits and bobs too, didn't look too much as I was in a hurry.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • benedictadams
    Options
    they were moving stuff around at one of the Birmingham ones late afternoon

probably to give the impression to the customers that stock was selling when in reality in the two i went into no-one was actually buying any of the stuff

If, and thats only what Boots will know, is similar to other stores then wonder what the business decision is to keep shelves full of stuff when they could clear at least half of it within the day by boosting the sale
    Debt of £6300 cleared in 5 years, now ZERO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family