2017 - Spend less, live more

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

Well meaning relatives can be a real pain when they will not take No when they are offering items or gifts that you have no use for.:o On the plus side, my local charity shops always benefit if a relative just will not listen to my repeated No's. :)

I have a couple of Christmas presents from my eldest daughter which I will eventually end up selling on eBay because they are perfume sets even though my whole family know I only wear one perfume and have no desire to experiment with other perfumes. It took years for me to find the perfect perfume for me. :D My oldest son got me a digital photo frame for Christmas, with a memory card loaded with over a hundred family photos of him and his 2 daughters. It was costing too much electricity each day so now I leave it unplugged. :o
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hmm the cornbread sounds a bit odd but would still try it. :)

Yes I’ve already experienced people trying to give us all their old baby stuff! Luckily most of it has been needed and/or will be used. We got a lot of stuff from friends of ours (including a cotbed for DS in perfect condition!) & they were really good, said just take what you want & we’ll bin the rest.

Every time we go to their house now though we seem to leave with another noisy baby toy they’ve come across. :eek::rotfl: My DS’s favourite toy atm is a secondhand one from a girl at work - it plays music and makes animal noises and he just loves it!!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

I have a couple of Christmas presents from my eldest daughter which I will eventually end up selling on eBay because they are perfume sets even though my whole family know I only wear one perfume and have no desire to experiment with other perfumes. It took years for me to find the perfect perfume for me. :D My oldest son got me a digital photo frame for Christmas, with a memory card loaded with over a hundred family photos of him and his 2 daughters. It was costing too much electricity each day so now I leave it unplugged. :o

That’s a shame on both counts, but at least you will do something productive with the gifts. I remember when those digital frames were popular a couple of years ago. Funnily enough, I don’t recall seeing them around much anymore.

Sashy a work colleague gave me a few toys for DS once. One was a Thomas the tank Engine train and when you rolled it, the eyes moved. DS started to have nightmares about ‘scary Thomas eyes’ and we had absolutely no idea what he was talking about for ages.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    The only recipes I remembered (maybe Nigella) used it as a coating for fried chicken. Polenta is the other thing.
  • chanie
    Options
    The only recipes I remembered (maybe Nigella) used it as a coating for fried chicken. Polenta is the other thing.

Fried chicken - that seems like a good idea. Thanks.
  • chanie
    Options
    Saved £11 ish today on two cinema tickets for OH and his best mate.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    Saved £11 ish today on two cinema tickets for OH and his best mate.

That's a great saving well done. xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sashy a work colleague gave me a few toys for DS once. One was a Thomas the tank Engine train and when you rolled it, the eyes moved. DS started to have nightmares about ‘scary Thomas eyes’ and we had absolutely no idea what he was talking about for ages.

:rotfl: Poor wee soul. It's strange the things that they find scary, isn't it. My brother bought my DS a Chase Me Casey toy for Christmas, it's a wee monkey that runs about and plays music etc. My DS is terrified of it at the moment, he likes the look of it but as soon as it moves he gets freaked. My cats absolutely hate it, only seems to be me & DH that like it. :rotfl:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • chanie
    Options
    I popped to Card Factory and bought most of the cards we need for Jan and Feb. I normally like to buy all cards for the year in one go, but I haven’t yet written a list of what I need, so I’ll stock up once I’ve done that. I can get cards for £1, whereas elsewhere, they are at least double that.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I popped to Card Factory and bought most of the cards we need for Jan and Feb. I normally like to buy all cards for the year in one go, but I haven’t yet written a list of what I need, so I’ll stock up once I’ve done that. I can get cards for £1, whereas elsewhere, they are at least double that.

Hi Chanie,

I am lucky in having a local independent card shop in Camberwell Green that is even cheaper than Card Factory.:D I can get cards from 69p upwards. It is a lovely family run business so I also get really great customer service from the husband and wife who own this card shop. :D As we are a big family, I also avoid buying cards that other people have bought for someone in the family. At any family birthday celebration there will be lots of cards from Card Factory which are the same :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure