Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All of your posts were rude

I don't recall being rude.
    you even claimed 806lm was far better than I'd installed

Guessed would be a better word, since you refused multiple requests for the info.
    despite my giving you that information, and your acknowledging it BEFORE you posted that comment.

I was responding to multiple posts in order of reading, and I didn't go back to edit. Once you actually gave the information, I've stated several times that the lamps are fine. Again, the BS, guessing, speculating, betting, was all caused by you refusing to give info.
    Now you refuse to supply links to these super duper expensive LED's, instead suggesting that the Screwfix ones which we were happily discussing in December are now fine.

I must be speaking a different language. I said that cheap stuff could be junk, and that you need to check the specs of what you're replacing, and what you're buying. I never recommended any specific product or price (and won't). Just gave a word of caution about buying cheap stuff. Your continuous refusal to give info, whilst at the same time defending your claims, caused the excessive discussion.
    a statement that still blames me (not sure what I ever did wrong)

You recommended buying LEDs. You didn't say which ones. When asked which ones, you said it doesn't matter, any cheap ones are fine.
    And you are still having a go at the HB LED's even though they seem to fit your lm/W requirement.
    Can I refer you again to the HB 60W equivalent that has 620lm,

See, those are the specs that I find so important, that you ignored for so long. What if you'd pulled out a 100w bulb and put a 620lm LED instead. That would be disappointing.

I'm happy to apologise for all my speculation, betting and filling in the gaps, if you apologise for not supplying a few specs.
    and yes I do understand how to compare performance and match requirements (would anyone expect otherwise .. )

That's all I ask!
    it's utterly ridiculous to assume that this isn't accounted for in the purchasing decision

Strongly disagree. I've taken part in plenty of threads with people asking what a 'lumen' is.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope so. Though it seems everyone was perfectly happy and cool before all of the false claims by you and almillar were made.

State one false claim i have made. :wall:
  • elstimpo
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Careful, you'll get 20 (tongue) lashes from Elstimpo for such blasphemy. :rotfl:

Isn't it odd that some people can't or wont read what i have actually written. :(
  • elstimpo
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    How peaceful it was in this thread before the lightbulb police showed up. :D

I understand why Elstimpo is passionate about his cause, and I respect it, But some of the actions in this thread remind me of religious groups who come to your door to try and convert you. I just isn't needed.

I've just stated facts. Sorry if you didnt like that.
  • elstimpo
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi All

What a load of BS seems to regularly be forwarded by some who claim to be close to LED bulb technology, associated performance & relative quality and, of course, the market ..... interestingly, I also have purchased many multi-pack LED bulbs from 5crewfix and elsewhere (for our household & others), and yes I do understand how to compare performance and match requirements (would anyone expect otherwise .. :D), having stated so on this forum.

Through following & contributing to various discussions elsewhere, I really do find it to be bordering on incredulous when someone 'knowledgeable' pops up but doesn't recognise the published performance of units supplied by the likes of 5crewfix considering the number of times that they're discussed on UK boards - even more so when promoting 'quality' 'brands' or web-based suppliers normally costing ~3x more than what is for many/most people a local supplier with stock ... particularly on a money saving site ....

By the way, regarding the light intensity .... as others have mentioned, it's utterly ridiculous to assume that this isn't accounted for in the purchasing decision - it may not necessarily be on a lumen basis because a good majority of consumers wouldn't have a clue what it means, that's why the incandescent equivalence wattage is published .... anyway, we've got some 0.5W BC golf ball bulbs and they do what they're supposed to do where they're supposed to do it - thus illustrating/proving a point .... ;)

HTH
    Z

If you are referring to me, would you mind adding some subtance to the claims you have made. :(
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First off, I and all others have shared personal experience of lamps bought, nobody has recommended a specific lamp, we've simply said that our experience has been fine.
    elstimpo wrote: »
    State one false claim i have made. :wall:

Just one, come on, too easy!
    100% they will not be working in 2030 and they wuill have failed well before that. That comes from 14 years studying and developing LED drivers / power supplies and resistors.

Cheap LEDs are just that, cheap. Incredibly poor perfoming, made of the cheapest materials known to man, no heat disipation, crap power supplies with resistors that are worthless and manufactured by people who don't care one little bit what they are making or selling.

Impossible for you to make such claims, and to claim thatb they will all fail by 2030 is highly dubious.
    None of them can match the quality of light of an incandescent or halogen. No bets needed, its fact, they cannot.

In your opinion. For my own personal use, they are fine, I see no difference, therefore your statement is false.

If people don't care about CRI then they dont care about colour in their homes,

Your opinion, based on your views, doesn't mean you can impose them on others, or make such insane conclusions.

You clearly don't care about quality of light - which is absolutely fine. I care greatly about quality of light

Again making statements about me, and linking my lack of interest in your lighting obsession, with my own personal appreciation of light.

You can continue to make personal comments and state ignorant opinions based on no knoweldge or experience of the industry these comments are based on. Doesn't bother me.

We all have knowledge and experience of light and lamps. I don't need to be a formula 1 driver to prefer one car from another.

What i will happily state is that cheap LEDs will not last anywhere near the claimed lifespan.

Your opinion, stated as fact, and ignoring the cost savings from paying 1/3 or less for the lamp.

If you think High CRI, High quality LED Lamps will be avaiable at £5 or under soon (if ever), you better think again.

Statement made against me, but has no link/association to what I said.

Again i completely disagree with you. Cheap LEDs are a false economy and will end up costing more time and money than spending more money on a high quality products from the start. Plus, you get a lower quality of light.

False statement. Combined with your earlier claim that even £5/lamp won't be reached soon, it would require an enormous amount of lamps replacements to justify your expenditure/statement.

How am I doing so far?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • elstimpo
    Options
    First off, I and all others have shared personal experience of lamps bought, nobody has recommended a specific lamp, we've simply said that our experience has been fine.

Just one, come on, too easy!

Impossible for you to make such claims, and to claim thatb they will all fail by 2030 is highly dubious.

In your opinion. For my own personal use, they are fine, I see no difference, therefore your statement is false.

Your opinion, based on your views, doesn't mean you can impose them on others, or make such insane conclusions.

Again making statements about me, and linking my lack of interest in your lighting obsession, with my own personal appreciation of light.

We all have knowledge and experience of light and lamps. I don't need to be a formula 1 driver to prefer one car from another.

Your opinion, stated as fact, and ignoring the cost savings from paying 1/3 or less for the lamp.

Statement made against me, but has no link/association to what I said.

False statement. Combined with your earlier claim that even £5/lamp won't be reached soon, it would require an enormous amount of lamps replacements to justify your expenditure/statement.

How am I doing so far?

I've worked in the LED industry for almost 15 years. I've sourced products for two of the biggest electrical companies in the US, started my own retail business from a kitchen table and have seince become a retailer and manufacturer. I have a dedicated research and development centre based in the North East of England and a product that we designed and brought to market was a finalist in Ethical Product of the Decade in the Observer Ethical Awards 2015.

My work has also appeared in Energy Saving Trust published papers and i featured in their end of year report in 2015.

I've also been published in the Sunday Times for LED Lighting related questions.

I'm satisfied that i am can state things based on my own knowledge and experience.

1) Please tell me how a resistor in a power supply inside a small cheapily made LED Lamp is going to last 20-30 years? All the research we have done, (extensive) suggests that it cannot. No research has even been published to support 20-30 year lifespan claims.

2) Not my opinion. Fact. A halogen and incandescent lamp with have a CRI rating of 99/100 and therefore if the CRI rating is not matched then the quality of light is reduced.

3) Same answer as no.2 - it's not my opinion, it's fact.

4) If people don't care about CRI then they clearly dont value brining out the true colours of everything in their home. People can care about CRI without having the budget to install high CRI Lighting.

5) Lighting is my obession. I'm proud of it. My career is in lighting and i'm meticulous in the way i go about my work. You stated you don't care about CRI, CRI greatly impacts quality of light and there i made my statement which i stick to.

6) You are still stating things that are factually incorrect.

7) Same answer really as 1. Looking forward to hearing you in depth views on power supplies, the components in them and the impact of heat disspation.

8) High CRI lamps will not be available at under £5 in the near future. Yep, that is my opinion. Obviously what consitiutes high CRI is up for debate and important. I consider High CRI to be 95+, you?

9) Not a false statement at all. My opinion based on years of experiene and research.

Not very well i'm afraid.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've worked in the LED industry for almost 15 years. I've sourced products for two of the biggest electrical companies in the US, started my own retail business from a kitchen table and have seince become a retailer and manufacturer. I have a dedicated research and development centre based in the North East of England and a product that we designed and brought to market was a finalist in Ethical Product of the Decade in the Observer Ethical Awards 2015.

My work has also appeared in Energy Saving Trust published papers and i featured in their end of year report in 2015.

I've also been published in the Sunday Times for LED Lighting related questions.

"When a man needs to state his qualifications, he's already lost the argument."

You are simply repeating that you know better, because we don't know what we are talking about. But I think it's you, that doesn't know (or appreciate) what we were actually talking about - perfectly satisfactory lighting at extremely reasonable costs.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2017 at 5:23PM
    Options
    If you are referring to me, would you mind adding some subtance to the claims you have made. :(
    Hi

Yep, you're definitely posting in a manner which suggests being full of BS and here's the substance ....

1. Continually partially quoting text without relating it to full context.
    2. Continually quoting without reference to poster or source.
    3. Continually quoting and conflating posters & sources

... it's illogical, it's nonsensical and in many/most cases it's utter BS - it's not clever and it doesn't make much sense (other than to suggest an industry insider in self protect mode, which we sincerely hope is not the case but expect denial even if it is) ...

Your entire argument over many pages seemingly stands on the foundation that in the case of LED bulbs expensive is better than cheap due to better light intensity & colour and although multiple posters have countered this position, instead of conducting the most basic research possible (eg search ... 5 pack BC lightbulbs 5crewfix) you'd rather conduct a lengthy argument over numerous days employing an extremely juvenile approach ... obviously there's more intent to cause mischief or chase technical acclaim than participate in discussion, therefore your posts simply become meaningless as your credibility (technical & otherwise) spirals down the drain.

I do note a hint of back-peddling now the penny's dropped that this section of the forum is actually populated by some with more than a little knowledge & maybe even decades of experience in various energy saving technologies, so maybe it's time to pull on the brakes, have a rethink of what currently seems to an outsider to be an unnecessarily 'aggressive' approach, swallow some pride and introduce yourself into the community in what would be considered a more civilised manner ... you never know, instead of just preaching the approach could include listening and the outcome may even lead to learning something new ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • elstimpo
    edited 2 March 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    "When a man needs to state his qualifications, he's already lost the argument."

You are simply repeating that you know better, because we don't know what we are talking about. But I think it's you, that doesn't know (or appreciate) what we were actually talking about - perfectly satisfactory lighting at extremely reasonable costs.

I stated my qualifications to qualfiying my opinion and position. Who's quote is that by the way, because i find it odd.

No, mostly i'm stating facts. I do add my opinion in as this is an online forum.

You haven't bothered to address any of my questions or points so i'll leave it there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure