LED light bulbs

Options

Comments

• elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Do I assume from the silence that 806lm is ok from a 9W lamp?

I'm genuinely interested to know if this has all been a confusing misunderstanding, or if an expensive LED could deliver this for far less wattage.

BTW a CFL just died, no warning, just went off ..... speak of the devil and all that.

Lumens per watt is largely irrlevant in deciding if an LED is 'quality' or not. Squeezing maximum lumens out of LED chips to get high lumen figures is one of the worst things you can do in terms of stability and longevity.

Expensive LEDs are expensive usally because;

a) Cost of R&D
    b) Costs of quality raw materials (chip, resistor etc)
    c) Costs of designing and implementing an effective heat dissipation system (usually completely ignored).
    d) Paying for testing and certificates.
    e) Paying staff a decent wage and provding decent working conditions.

It's impossible to do all the above on the cheap.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with the bulbs I've bought, despite your claims to the contrary. I was laughing about this last night with the wife, and the claims that the room is darker ...... what fool makes that sort of claim about somebody else.

Re-read my posts. I've acknowledged multiple times that you are happy with your bulbs. That's not my argument, I've stated it several times.
    I'm 'betting' and 'guessing' all the time because you repeatedly fail to tell us the specifications of any products you're recommending to the nation. If you've replaced a 60W halogen with a £1.50 bulb, I BET your room is darker. If you can't tell, fine, but don't spout on here about them being like for like replacements - they're not!
    Myself, and others keep giving you prices and shops, but you dismiss them, then ask for them again.
    since then I've bought a 60W equivalent as others said they are good.

HOW. MANY. LUMENS?!

I asked for links. B&Q and Screwfix both have websites that list products. Link me to them. Don't give me a link for a shop, I want a link for a product. We're on the internet here!
    as you know nothing about my house lighting,

I am trying so desperately to find out, but you're keeping it a secret.
    What if someone who would be happy with a £1.50 bulb, went and paid £10 following your advice - then

They can try a £1.50 if they want. My advice is to check a few things BEFORE simply buying the cheapest, or indeed, the most expensive. CHECK what you are replacing. If you're happy with the light from it, CHECK what you're replacing it with. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    first can you tell me what a reasonable amount of lumens would be for 7W and 9W, and supply some price/product links.

Then I'll give you my 3 lumen figures.

Sure thing. For new bulbs I'd want NEARLY 100 lumens per watt. Lets say 600+ lumens from a 7w, and 800+ from 9w. And 2700 Kelvin (simply 'warm white' isn't good enough) and (not quite sure here) 95%+ CRI. Now you have to go and look at those specs you refuse to do...

I have been talking about traditional twist in or screw in lamps this whole time. But from the above, 360 lumens doesn't replace 50w halogen in my opinion and experience. And for a spotlight, it's almost irrelevant to say how bright it is, without also saying the angle the light is spread over.
    As you seem to have a struggle with using Google and websites

Not at all, I provide plenty of links in other threads. In this one I asked for links to products, and they weren't forthcoming. It's not for me to go looking for them.
    806 lumens

Yes! This seems decent, and I bet it's far better than what Martyn has installed. It's also twice the price. Only thing missing is the CRI. Lumens per watt is improving all the time, and older ones are likely to be less efficient. These appear to have broken the 100 lumens per watt guide I used above.
    My Screwfix were slightly different as they were 8.7W but also 806lm. They have also gone up slightly to £9.99 for 5, though they regularly appear in the e-mail deals they send me at lower prices. Toolstation currently have 10W LED lamps on offer at £7.50 for 5.

The B&Q pack of 5 are also 806lm (starting to see a theme) but are 9W. they don't seem to have any decent deals on at the moment, so are around £2.50.

The HB 7W is 620lm.

Wow. Post number 67. That's all you needed to say in the first place. Just back up your claim! Why so secretive?!
    Do I assume from the silence that 806lm is ok from a 9W lamp?

I'm not on over weekends - yes, yes it is! Make sure it's 2700K if that's your preference (that's probably the colour temp of the lamp you're replacing).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Wow. Post number 67. That's all you needed to say in the first place. Just back up your claim! Why so secretive?!

So to sum up then.

The lamps I've bought are fine.

I'm not sitting in the dark.

Your posts have been BS because you kept assuming, betting and making 'stuff up'.

Folk like me can light their homes for as little as £1.20 per bulb, as per Screwfix e-mail this morning.

What a waste of time.

PS - Still no links and prices from you I see!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    elstimpo wrote: »
    Are we cool? :p

I sincerely hope so. Though it seems everyone was perfectly happy and cool before all of the false claims by you and almillar were made.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your posts have been BS because you kept assuming, betting and making 'stuff up'.

I had to, because you refused my repeated requests for the specs you had. I still haven't seen a decent lamp in Home Bargains, and I will still advise against buying lamps there. I don't need to provide any links, the Screwfix ones, as provided, as I've already confirmed, are fine by me.

I STILL recommend checking the lamp you remove, and trying to match it, if you want the same amount of light. You STILL won't replace a 100W incandescent with a 400 lumens LED. That WILL provide less light, and that's the point I've been trying to make. I'm still not sure you get it.
    And yet it's exactly what I installed, and the info was given days before your response, and later in the same response you acknowledge it.

So it seems you simply can't help yourself making false statements about something that you are talking about, just to defend/prolong an argument that should never have started in the first place.

Sorry for not keeping up. I simply wasn't on the forum. As I've said repeatedly, I've asked you for the specs of your cheap bulbs and you refused for a long time. Home Bargains was an alarm bell for me because I know they're rubbish. 'Cheap LED lamps MIGHT BE rubbish' is not a false claim and I stand by it.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I am sure that "light quailty" or intensity matters to some people, but the majority of us?
    Careful, you'll get 20 (tongue) lashes from Elstimpo for such blasphemy. :rotfl:
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope so. Though it seems everyone was perfectly happy and cool before all of the false claims by you and almillar were made.
    How peaceful it was in this thread before the lightbulb police showed up. :D

I understand why Elstimpo is passionate about his cause, and I respect it, But some of the actions in this thread remind me of religious groups who come to your door to try and convert you. I just isn't needed.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    How peaceful it was in this thread before the lightbulb police showed up. :D

I understand why Elstimpo is passionate about his cause, and I respect it, But some of the actions in this thread remind me of religious groups who come to your door to try and convert you. I just isn't needed.

I can also see Elstimpo's point if the quality of light matters, but I never thought we were talking about that. the rest seems to be false criticism based on false assumptions and lack of knowledge on what we were talking about, somehow assuming we are all simpletons unknowingly stuck in the dark (figuratively and literally). :D

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Hi All

What a load of BS seems to regularly be forwarded by some who claim to be close to LED bulb technology, associated performance & relative quality and, of course, the market ..... interestingly, I also have purchased many multi-pack LED bulbs from 5crewfix and elsewhere (for our household & others), and yes I do understand how to compare performance and match requirements (would anyone expect otherwise .. :D), having stated so on this forum.

Through following & contributing to various discussions elsewhere, I really do find it to be bordering on incredulous when someone 'knowledgeable' pops up but doesn't recognise the published performance of units supplied by the likes of 5crewfix considering the number of times that they're discussed on UK boards - even more so when promoting 'quality' 'brands' or web-based suppliers normally costing ~3x more than what is for many/most people a local supplier with stock ... particularly on a money saving site ....

By the way, regarding the light intensity .... as others have mentioned, it's utterly ridiculous to assume that this isn't accounted for in the purchasing decision - it may not necessarily be on a lumen basis because a good majority of consumers wouldn't have a clue what it means, that's why the incandescent equivalence wattage is published .... anyway, we've got some 0.5W BC golf ball bulbs and they do what they're supposed to do where they're supposed to do it - thus illustrating/proving a point .... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just read all the posts in this thread.
    Bloody hell !
    All I can say is that my pound shop efforts still work , I can see everything I need to see and my direct debit for electricity has just been reduced.
    Forgotten but not gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport