Flush by 30?

Options

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    jvr wrote: »

I imagine its just like leaving the heating on all day? I may be wrong but I cant see it being too crazy.

I've just read your confession JVR and honestly, it doesn't always feel like I'm doing well!! I think we can very often put too much pressure on ourselves. You'll have seen already I'm right with you on the takeaway bandwagon!!

Good News
    (it's nice to have some to share!!)
    1) I'm feeling better. I've really struggled with the changing clocks this year for some reason, but I'm ok now I think.
    2) I bought a bargain of a dress for a friend's wedding in May - £10(:eek:) for a '70s vintage number from our local St Leonard's Hospice shop. I can't always wear vintage (because I am, shall we say, generously proportioned) so I feel fab in it!
    3) ....ok here's a biggie... I'VE PAID OFF MY CREDIT CARD!!
    however it's not quite as magical as it seems. I cheated a bit. I borrowed a bit from my savings to do it, so they're back way way down now and I also increased my loan a teeny bit (it will be paid off earlier though, because I got a better deal).
    4) The wedding trip is all paid for already: flights, hotel and Euros. So for the first time since my amazing friend moved to Holland I'm not scrabbling around to be able to visit her.

Not So Good News
    It's not bad news, but...
    1) I urgently need to stop buying takeaways. It's a waste of my money and I would like to lose half a stone before May. So there's that.
    2) I haven't got up the courage to call British Gas yet, but I need to. I don't know how much that next bill will be, but I do think I'm in credit with them so hopefully that will cushion it.

Whooooooosh! Hope everyone else is doing well!!
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on the good news! It is still good news however you achieved it!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Well done on the good news! It is still good news however you achieved it!

Thanks Bob! It's mainly a psychological thing; I just feel better 'only' having my loan to deal with (apart from the mortgage but that's something else altogether!)

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on paying off the cc. Another debt gone :)

Re the takeaways - could you make your own "fake aways", you'll be able to control the calories that way, much cheaper too.

Great to see lots of good news :)
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That is great on paying off the credit card and just having a loan outstanding. We don't do takeaways. Our version is just having a few supermarket ready meals in the freezer for days when we don't feel like cooking. Cheaper and usually less calories and I think we have now lost the craving for the takeaways. Still do the odd curry night out at local Indian though ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Well done on paying off the cc. Another debt gone :)

Re the takeaways - could you make your own "fake aways", you'll be able to control the calories that way, much cheaper too.

Great to see lots of good news :)

Thanks SA - it feels good... now just have to show my mum how great the MSE way can be!! And I know you're right about the takeaways/fakeaways - sometimes I'm really good about it, but then sometimes I get sucked into a vortex of tasty, convenient deliveries... it's no good and I know I can do better!!
    That is great on paying off the credit card and just having a loan outstanding. We don't do takeaways. Our version is just having a few supermarket ready meals in the freezer for days when we don't feel like cooking. Cheaper and usually less calories and I think we have now lost the craving for the takeaways. Still do the odd curry night out at local Indian though ;)

Oh thank you :) I agree about the ready meals, I used to be really against them but then I realised that it's no worse than a weekly Chinese food delivery!

Mini goal for me:
    I will go back to meal planning. I should be able to manage that Thursday-Thursday as that's when I get my fresh veg delivered by the local greengrocer, and it should in theory stop my takeaway urges if I know what I'm supposed to be eating in advance.

I also might do some pre-cooking - things like fajita chicken and things, so that when I get home on an evening it's not such an onerous task after 11 hours out of the house to think about cooking!

• JWPopps
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm enjoying the sunshine coming in through my office window these days - even though I spend half of my working life in a room with no windows, which is where we do appointments.

Also, today I got access to the Virtual Learning Environment for the 2nd Masters I have to do for CPD for my job. It's daunting, thinking about writing essays etc after quite a long time! (My first MA was in a creative field so I didn't have to write essays in the same way). But, it's all very positive and after all I am an enormous geek ha!

I have Monday off work as I will be travelling to London with the charity I work with, to help them develop an app for supporters which is interesting and something I'm happy to be involved in. I have a reasonably quiet weekend planned before that too other than that I'm hosting, and my mum's away so I'm hoping to make a start on an assignment for this course.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!

• JWPopps
    Options
    Hello!

I won't bore you all with my new SOA just yet, but I think I've managed to increase my overall net worth by about £3,000 since November!!

My monthly income will be going down after next month because... my mum has fallen in love with a bungalow!!! So it looks like she will be moving out at the beginning of May.

I love her very much, but we both need this to happen. She needs to feel in control of her 'own' home again, and I need the bigger bedroom back so I can take longer term hosting placements. Also, my house is too little to have 2 peoples' stuff in it!

I am really pleased though that the place she's found is on my usual bus route to and from work, so I'll be able to pop round to see her a couple of times a week, which I think will make us closer than we are currently.

My only worry is that because of her existing IVA and also her (still utterly shocking) attitude to money, she might need a guarantor. I'll do it, obviously, but it would feel like a massive backwards step for her. I've had to tell her three times in the last week alone that she needs to stop saying she's on 'poverty wages' currently, when in fact she earns £50 more than me a month after tax, for working a day and a half a week fewer hours...

Anyway, I can't believe it's Friday again already!!

Happy weekend everyone :):):)

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Wooooop!! Awesome news, really hope she can go ahead without a guarantor. Will make a big difference to your relationship... I am so close to my mum... but I wasn't the 6 months I had to move home! Monthly income may go down but may be evened out with total control of spends in the home :)
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • NewMeNewLife
    NewMeNewLife Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi JWPopps :wave:

Just popping in to say your diary is a great read. My mam is currently living with me too. Luckily though, we haven't gotten to the stage where we need more space yet (fingers crossed).

Also, congratulations on paying off your CC! Bet it feels great :D
    Emergency Fund: £300 / £1,000 (30%).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family