PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Hello everyone, I will de-lurk too as I wouldn't want this thread to disappear just as I have regained my sewing mojo! I will be relying on you lot for some support to keep me motivated :)

I used to sew quite a lot (confident enough to have made my wedding dress and bridesmaid's dresses, 32 years ago!) but over the years I just didn't seem to have enough time to fit everything in and sewing took a back seat. I miss it, and want to get started again with a plan to start making small items which I might be able to sell at craft fairs, especially on the run up to Christmas.

I have a reasonable stash of Cath Kidston fabrics including oilcloths so am planning on covering some A5 sized 2018 diaries with removeable fabric covers as I hope they will sell well. I might make some small zippered makeup bags or purses too. CK handmade items always seem popular.

My younger daughter is a primary school teacher who will be teaching year 1s in September, so I've just finished making a dozen small floor cushions to make a cosy reading area in the corner of her classroom, with a teepee made of the same fabric so there's a quiet(er) space for the children too. I'm lucky to have a couple of very good fabric shops within a few miles of where I live, and one of them has a large range of brightly coloured polycottons (ABC/tractor/animal prints etc) for just 99p a metre so I snapped up a whole lot of that.

Do any of you have experience of craft fairs? What sort of things have sold the best for you?
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sewing at the moment but will probably get the machine out in the autumn - too many other things going on at the moment.
    This calls for cake - LOVED the Sewing Bee - such a shame they are not doing any more series - all we seem to get is stupid people on reality shows instead of something worthwhile - grrrr.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh I love you lurkers, thank you for showing yourselves. Its been quite hard to find things to post about, sometimes I just want to get on with stuff and not bother but the thread would so easily sink and die off

I wish the sewing bee was back too, instead we get all these cooking programmes. My husband used to watch it and liked it and I loved to see the different people esp the men.Everyone has different ways

I do love the ideas that people are coming up with, things to sell and to give as gifts

Re fabric Emm, no-where online is cheap, they all have to cover PnP so I would suggest that you call into charity shops as often as you can and look at the curtaining as well as for dress fabrics. I had a friend 40+ years ago, in her 20s, who made the most wonderful clothes from curtain fabric
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Kitie we need you to be mother hen for us!
    Welcome to the de lurkers too- I'm a recent joiner too and it's a very friendly place to hang out
    My husband enjoyed the Sewing Beentoo, he liked how everyone helped each other not like in many of the reality tv programmes we get.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi folks.

Just a quick introduction. I'm a past Old Styler, we moved abroad and we're now back in the UK. I've set my sewing area up but it needs an electricity supply which DH is going to do for me later. We are also making plans for a built in unit so I can have more space but that is on the back burner at the present due to time constraints.

I have a Brother Innov-Is 980K sewing/embroidery machine and I have just been presented a Pfaff Coverlock 4.0. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to get practicing. I'm mostly self taught and make mostly household items and bunting and totes but want to expand that.

I'm on the P4P and M4M FB groups and their clothes look fabulous.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Patternsforpiratesgroup/
    https://www.facebook.com/madeformermaids/

I'm also loving this little group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/304039410008936/?sw_fnr_id=1046812154&fnr_t=0

I notice that a few groups I'm on the posters are using sheets, duvets and curtains as material.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • This_calls_for_cake
    Options
    I loved sewing bee too, so sad its not been renewed :( I used to watch it with my son, he is 9 and I've been teaching him bits and pieces, he's hand sewn some felt bookmarks and some embroidered ones as thank you gifts for his teachers, he also made a book bag for school on my machine and wants to make a teddy for his sister for Christmas :heart:
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 10:55PM
    Options
    I think sewing is sewing, it's not just about making clothes - I love the idea of the puppy blanket, Sen! Are you going to sleep with it for a couple of nights before you send it, so the puppy gets used to your scent as well? I've made a very rough-and ready blanket, but I've got a project for a cover to go over the cat basket so that on our (sadly more and more frequent) trips to the vet it can be covered for her comfort but still allowing me to pick up the carry handle. I usually drape a towel over it but it's not very convenient.

Not much sewing here, I came back from holiday and had to start working immediately, but after tomorrow it's quiet again. This time I'm going to conquer my fear of the overlocker!

PS great to see so many lurkers disclosing themselves- this thread has really inspired me and I'd hate to see it fade away.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    I've only recently got back into sewing and doing a few little projects, really enjoying it though. I originally did needlework at school (back in the 80's!) and my nans/mum also taught me. Used to make my own clothes etc years ago then life took over! I've recently made a cute little sundress for one small niece and a skirt for another. Finished a skirt for myself that I started making 3 years agon(it looks hideous on me). Also did a "sewing with jersey"'class at the Stitch shop as I have a stash of several of those fabrics but not had the confidence to use the yet. I have treated myself to a Brother overlocker - why have I not discovered those before??
    I'm also in the process of turning a king size duvet & a couple of flat sheets into lined curtains for my bedroom, and made my mum a 'fake' London blind for her kitchen window as a birthday present a few weeks ago.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• srn
    srn Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have found a pattern for a puppy sling, so I'll have a go. Luckily I have all the fabric that I need.

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/patterns/dog-carrier-pdf-sewing-pattern-small-do/208262

I never thought about sleeping with the blanket, Polly, what a good idea, it's tucked in beside me as I type.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :hello::hello: lovely to see so many people on this thread. Squiggly, thanks for the info re Brighton, I will definitely check those out. I'm back next week and I can't wait.
    Well, typical me, I hit a problem with the shift dress I was making and stuffed it in a drawer!
    As I said, I had to unpick the side seams as I couldn't turn the facing back after sewing them, Doh! After all that unpicking turning then re stitching, I had managed to somehow twist one side so that the shoulder was twisted and had to unpick a side seam again! I couldn't believe it.
    Anyway, got it untangled, side seams done and it doesn't sit right at the hips. There are deep darts on the front as well as bust darts and I need to graduate the seam out a bit, more noticeably on one side.
    On top of all that, I don't really like the pattern/colour of the fabric I've used:undecided
    I did say to hubby though that I need to get it out and keep going even if its just a practice piece, because I do like the actual dress, think it would be nice in the right fabric.
    That has always been the hardest part for me, picking the right fabric. Not just type and weight but print too.
    Oh I could cry its so frustrating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure