PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone, lovely thread, like jondav I'm picking up sewing again after a few years of not doing it. I'm ok (ish) but its interesting to read about people altering patterns. I'm not accomplished enough to do this. Think thats what I have to spend some time getting to grips with.

Kittie the pinterest link of the esme top is so interesting. It shows the difference fabric makes to a creation!
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is the pattern I'm using for the jacket, very simple and straightforward. https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-dress-tunic-trousers-shorts-simplicity-sewing-pattern-3799
    I'm making one in lace and one in voile.
    I shan't get much sewing done today, too many other calls on my time.

Ive got that pattern. Ive made the dress, just got to hem it. good luck with the jacket, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ooh fantastic, welcome flishh

altering clothes can be easier than it seems, just looking at a pattern is daunting these days because of the multi sizing but you have to get your eye in. Some mean cutting the pattern and moving the whole section and obviously that is harder but worth learning to do the BP side dart for a start, I found out the hard way when a lovely blouse had a dart pointing upwards to fresh air , while my BP was below. I think FBA is more for big or small boobies, when the actual cup should be made more or less accommodating. I was never a pattern alterer but decided that as my shape had changed, it was time to bite the bullet and I learnt. Making a high back is easy but you need a french curve as you have to keep that upward sweep at the shoulder/neckline

I am only tidying up my pink top this morning after buying compost and yes flissh, I agree seeing pinterest is interesting, makes you appreciate how different fabrics affect the look and hang of a garment so much

I am still managing to keep my sewing things tidy, don`t know how, except I have essential items in a small basket, which I carry around. Bobbin mates are also invaluable for keeping part filled bobbins together with the spool, I keep them in rows in an old bacon box and large spools that don`t fit the bobbin mate, a pipecleaner will do the job.

Flissh and jpndav, there are very many useful links on this thread, it took me many years to find them, just sharing
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Welcome flissh and jondav - I am learning so much from this thread. Bobbin mate - something else I didn't know I needed! I keep spools of thread in a small box that used to contain cards, and bobbins in a bobbin box. Last year as a Christmas present my friend gave me a box with lots of bobbins prewound in different colours, it was a great gift.

I had never altered a pattern until recently, see my posts above about FBA - I didn't need to do all this when I was a (relatively) slim teenager but Kittie is right, these patterns seem to be made for people whose vital attributes are still heading north, mine are definitely going south!

Jondav, you're exactly where I was about five years ago - just as Kittie suggests, I started with charity shop fabrics, I made cushions and pencil cases and drawstring bags and then it's only in the last year that I've ventured back into clothes, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I remember.

As well as the link Kittie has put above, I will put in a vote for this baby which was my first machine. It has been down to £65 in the John Lewis clearance so you might be lucky - it usually comes in a range of colours. It'll do everything you need, and I only moved up a grade because someone I knew was selling a barely-used Janome.

I've got a free-ish day today so I am going to try and sort out the shoulder issues with my muslin, it's difficult pinning it on yourself. I am lucky enough to own a dress form, donated by my sister who was given it but never used it - sadly, even dialled up to the largest sizes it's a little bit slimmer than I am at the moment! It will be helpful for getting hems level, and I am going to see if I can pad it out with an old bra today to get nearer to my shape.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 11:25AM
    Options
    polly I have a dress form, bought 18 years ago and used the first few years, until my shape started to change. It has lived in three different houses and always under the stairs until 5 years ago, when I got inspired by posts on the artisan square site

I bought many metres of thick and thin polyester wadding, curved needles and an interlock that was made in a wide tube shape. Took my measurements and two months later finished. It was no way an easy job, I put my bra on her and stuffed that and slipped the interlock over her and pulled it tight and stitched it with the curved needle. Then another tight cover with a back zip, so I could future proof. I put black tapes around to mark waist, hips and bust and made a slipover because it was like looking at me half dressed. There she stands in a tight corner of my sewing room, completely out of the way and used twice and only for knitting top down jumpers. She is probably ok wrt my size but I have been tempted to ditch her but won`t do as I suppose I could hang a dress on her. I should bring her into the room but she takes up a fair bit of space and nestles well into the corner

lol, 3D printing is the way forward. They are already doing perfect body images in america

I think the shoulder issue is the hardest measurement to make and change as you need to cut a whole section out of the bodice pattern and move the whole lot and re-draw the neck and armcyse. It affects the back waste length and bp position. Kathleen Cheetham says to do one change at a time as it can affect the whole pattern
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Its a grey breezy day and perfect for gently drying new fabrics, I just draped a new one over an airer after a 30 wool wash and it is fantastic. Its woven double gauze and I cannot believe how drapey it is. Very slightly see through if held up to the light but will have air flow hence perfection for the heat and best of all, I have just discovered that it is double sided, both sides could be the right side and I can imagine something made in this with bits of one side and contrasts with the other. It is too good for esme but I will be looking at a MnM dress as there is no pattern match and I might have enough
    https://drapersdaughter.com/collections/fabrics/products/robert-kaufman-double-gauze-chambray-dobby-black-new

new as in modern stash and its 145 wide :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options
    esme is completely finished, buttons and all and I am 100% happy with it. I will make it over and over as it is such a comfortable top to wear. Size 14, psychologically good or what!!

I put style arc maddison together, size 18, aussie sizing, this afternoon in R Kaufman metallic linen. It was the easiest top ever, the most difficult was the bias neck tape but I used my own way and got a good flat result, just got to take the hem up tomorrow. Its the first style arc top I have done, I have many as I joined their club a long time ago, when they started and they gave out good prices and free patterns. Real patterns, not those PDFs. Its a fantastic start. Now for the fabric, mistake as it is scratchy because of the lurex, so I will wear it as an layer on top of something thin. The linen is a weave and it is good as maddison, so maddison will be awesome in a knit fabric. It is tunic length and true to size. I moved the side dart on that pattern, which is something I will have to do with every pattern

Something new to me, the only pale blue overlocking threads I have are two large cones of woolly nylon, never used it before and wow. The filaments spread out from the loopers and cover a much better area, the result was fantastic and the fabric frayed a lot with not a stray thread to be seen. I will be getting more when appropriate, from empress mills

How to make a nice neckline
    http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits
  • Concerned75
    Concerned75 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been sewing at an Industrial level for 27yrs on the PAYE system, but I would like to pack that in and work for myself. I'm registered self employed. Does anyone know any useful companies or websites looking for people to work from home, but on a remotely basis ideally? So i can do it anywhere from in the country. Much appreciated if anyone does!😊
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I`m so sorry concerned, I cannot help but maybe start a relevant thread on the employment thread. I am only into personal sewing. Good luck with the change of direction

wrt woolly nylon
    https://www.empressmills.co.uk/edition8-woolly-nylon-thread/

Maddison is completely finished now and ready to hang in my wardrobe but first I need something to come out. I am thinking that a short sleeved crew t shirt might be good underneath. I`ll have to have a hunt and a try on. If I hadn`t been sewing in the evenings, I would only have fallen asleep so radio company and sewing is rather nice
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all - I've had a little lurk and I'm very jealous of your talents!
    I sew to sell but only bags, aprons, animal collars and accessories etc. Your ability to make clothes amazes me! I've been very busy in the 'day job' lately so haven't had much time to sew but I have an idea I'd love to try out and a craft fair next weekend so fingers crossed I can get some sewing done during the week :)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family