PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezer Jenga!

Options

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    C_J wrote: »

I love JWPopps' mother's habit of 'buying food we do not need'. I bet she's just trying to be helpful (or is she a hoarder?)

Ha - it's definitely her meaning well!!!
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been working my freezer down these last few weeks. There's enough space in there now that I could easily clean it out and this afternoon will shop to refill it! Haha

That's less than a day nearly empty.

I hate shopping in general but especially over the holiday period so this shop should do the trick. I've already got a table set up to infill with the purchases.

Fingers crossed I get a few yellow sticky goodies.
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    I think my fridge freezer is empty enough to attempt defrosting and cleaning this evening before doing a big shop tomorrow! I won't put on the smallest radiator in the world that's in my kitchen, so it gets rather nippy on and evening, should work well. And the one fish finger, sweet corn, ice pops etc, I'm not going to lose sleep over if they're no good to go back in
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Sweetcorn relish??
    I have a recipe that I think was from Martha Stewart to use fresh corn (being American and all that) but I use frozen corn and it's good. It's quite handy for Christmas hampers as it only needs a couple of days to mature so you don't have to have made it last August:D but it keeps on the shelf in sealed jars quite happily.

I can find the recipe if anyone wants - it's a bit like the commercial ones but not as gloopy.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sweetcorn relish??
    I have a recipe that I think was from Martha Stewart to use fresh corn (being American and all that) but I use frozen corn and it's good. It's quite handy for Christmas hampers as it only needs a couple of days to mature so you don't have to have made it last August:D but it keeps on the shelf in sealed jars quite happily.

I can find the recipe if anyone wants - it's a bit like the commercial ones but not as gloopy.

Yes please. Sounds good - love a good relish, pickle, chutney etc!

Denise
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Sweetcorn relish (adapted from Martha Stewart - everything was in cups originally)

Makes 4 pints

5 cups frozen corn kernels
    2 finely chopped onions
    2 finely chopped garlic cloves
    1 finely diced red pepper
    2 stalks celery, finely diced
    1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 1/2 tbsp. coarse salt
    2 tbsp. dry mustard powder
    2 tsp mustard seeds
    1 1/2 tsp celery seeds
    2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 cups cider vinegar

Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for approx. 30 mins, stirring from time to time. Ladle into hot, sterilised jars, leaving a 1/4" gap at the top and seal.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you Thriftmonster - that sounds great :) will defiant give it a go
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am very pleased to report that this morning I cleared, defrosted and cleaned the freezer drawers of the big fridge/freezer in the kitchen. I was ruthless! Anything without a label or more than six months old (there was quite a bit of this) got chucked. It felt very liberating.

Then late this afternoon I did a quick supermarket shop - we were passing just before closing time, and I needed milk - and I bagged myself a basket full of 10p reductions, most of which are freezable. I never normally get any YS things reduced by so much, but this was an amazing haul AND even better, I had clear freezer drawers in which to stow it all neatly. I have even started a spreadsheet to inventory it all. Yay me :)
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (I felt a bit bad throwing out the old food from the freezer. It did feel very much like throwing away actual money, so I am determined not to let it get like this again. No more freeze 'n' forget for me!)
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Freezer has been defrosted but still no room for much Christmas stuff so will have to ask DD nicely if I can stow tomorrows shop in hers. Still using up odds and sods from mine so a few peculiar meals for us the rest of the week.
    All that clutter used to be money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport