On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Starfrog said:
    the last time I went fishing was back in the 1980’s maybe I’ll take it up when I’m up there full time :) 
    The trout fishing is fantastic up there ! 😉
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    chamelion said:
    Very limited and specific use case here but I've found something interesting...
    I had switched to go faster tariff from agile. I have the batts charge up to 100% during the 5.5p 830pm - 130am slot, and from 130 onwards they contribute to the house. 

I previously had it trickle contributing - approx 300/350 watts to lower my profile for the day. However last night I bumped that to 1500w (my home baseline over 2500w) and got 15% more power out of them... 
    I'll try again tonight with 2kw output. 

Sum of it is if you're doing something similar on go, sounds like you get more efficiency at higher wattage contributions rather than trickling. 
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
    Are you saying that you only usually get 6kw of discharge and now you get 7kw?
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chamelion said:
    I had switched to go faster tariff from agile. I have the batts charge up to 100% during the 5.5p 830pm - 130am slot, and from 130 onwards they contribute to the house. 

I previously had it trickle contributing - approx 300/350 watts to lower my profile for the day. However last night I bumped that to 1500w (my home baseline over 2500w) and got 15% more power out of them... 

Sum of it is if you're doing something similar on go, sounds like you get more efficiency at higher wattage contributions rather than trickling. 
    Basically yep. Not 7 (7.2kw system with 90% DoD) but there's a marked increase in total amount squeezed out the batteries when running at higher wattages. 
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • Starfrog
    Starfrog Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    so how do I achieve that ?

——-
    12 x JASolar 455w Panels (5.46kWp south facing array) Enphase Microinverters IQ7+, Lux AC ESS 3.6kW, 5 x 2.4kwh = 12kWh Plyontech US2000C Battery storage, Lochinver far North, west coast of Scotland 
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:

Basically yep. Not 7 (7.2kw system with 90% DoD) but there's a marked increase in total amount squeezed out the batteries when running at higher wattages. 
    That is strange right enough, id put it down to a hiccup at this point to be honest, it's definitely not what I've found.
    The only time I've had more than the 8.5kwh of discharge on my system is on sunnier days when after discharging for some of the morning its charged up by solar, and so discharges again later.
    West central Scotland
  • chamelion
    Options
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:

That is strange right enough, id put it down to a hiccup at this point to be honest, it's definitely not what I've found.
    The only time I've had more than the 8.5kwh of discharge on my system is on sunnier days when after discharging for some of the morning its charged up by solar, and so discharges again later.
    Running at 2kw output last night yielded 6.2kwh. At 1.5 it was 6, at 300w it was 5.8!!
    Definitely a correlation. I'd chalk it down to a set 'overhead' that doesn't vary based on output, so the longer you have the unit on the more you're wasting to cover the overhead... 
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • EVandPV
    Options
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:

Running at 2kw output last night yielded 6.2kwh. At 1.5 it was 6, at 300w it was 5.8!!
    Definitely a correlation. I'd chalk it down to a set 'overhead' that doesn't vary based on output, so the longer you have the unit on the more you're wasting to cover the overhead... 
    Strange !
    You'd have thought it would be the other way around with higher wattages creating more heat. Or do the cells perform better when warmer ??
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • mickyduck55
    Options
    Mine certainly charge faster when they are warmer.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • EVandPV
    edited 6 February 2021 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Mine certainly charge faster when they are warmer.
    Yeah, charge power drops when the temp falls below a certain level.
    I'm guessing efficiency is better at certain temp ranges ??
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:
    chamelion said:

So you have just set it to output a set amount?
    And so you are exporting most of the output?

How long have you been tracking this for?

As Ev and PV said it should be more efficient lower down as not as much power is lost to heat. 
    Unless of course you have it in an unheated part of the house and so the heat you generate actually helps get past the inefficiency of running it all cold
    West central Scotland
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family