Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    That is an interesting post islandman and if you live somewhere where the buses are many and frequent it is quite often the most hassle-free way to travel.

Our son (27) has never learned to drive and shows no sign of wanting to, and goes everywhere locally by bus or on his bike, further away by tram or train, or flies to go abroad.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When I packed up the car, it seemed a whole load was taken orf me shoulders, didn't realise the worry it was running the mad things.
    Not for evryone tho, you gotta be fit to walk into town or bus stops have to be near.
    Like it Jackie "in the sticks" and we call London "The Smoke".
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you gotta be fit to walk into town or bus stops have to be near. this made me smile. I wouldn't say we were fit. I've had a heart attack and have been left with mild angina and my wife, who is reg. disabled following shingles in her ear, has been left with total balance loss and has to use a walking aid, but that hasn't stopped us walking from North Shore to South Shore in Blackpool and walking from Bournemouth to Poole. We do it with stops for a rest.

To get to these locations in the first place, we negotiate via rail/coach. We do it, with stops.
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DH got one when he was 60, but has never used it for its correct purpose. He produces it to get various discounts and no-one has ever declined it - they ALWAYS assume he must be an OAP. My advice is to get one anyway - it might save a bob or two along the line and that's what this site is all about!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Having moved 'out to the sticks' 12 years ago from my home town of London it took me a long time to get used to the pace of life here.Although I'm only 40 miles from the capitol it is a totally different lifestyle.People are more relaxed, and there is far less stress.I now and again have to go back home to visit relativesand they all say 'How can you live out there its so quiet' Thats the benefit of the place I think.
    We have a very low crime rate,almost no vandalism,little, if any graffiti and my road is swept twice a week. In fact our neighbourhood watch comittee gave our local road sweeper Michael a £10.00 gift voucher last Christmas because he does such a good job in keeping the area looking good.
    The downside of the lack of buses I can live with, although I know it does get a few local people cross.Usually when I am driving if I'm going to Maidstone or Canterbury I ask any of my neighbours if they want to go.I don't mind as the seats are empty anyway.When we get there I tell them what time I'm going home and where to meet and we all go off and enjoy a day's shopping.There is far more community spirit in the area ,and newcomers are welcomed. I do miss London sometimes for the buzz of the place ,but not enough to want to move back there.I was born in the east end and spent most of my life in south-east London but it has changed so much over the years and not always for the better.
    I enjoy going up there to go to the theater or to take my many grandchildren to see the place but I don't think I could live there anymore .
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You do well, Islandman, I know the Blackpool one, my brother 's daily walk for many years.
    My heart attack was in 1990 six months orf work, and a warning to slow down.
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys!:hello:
    I stumbled across this piece of information yesterday - sorry if anyone has already posted on the subject.
    Now I know it's 2 months away, but just so you know that it's not an April Fool's joke...

From the 1st April, 2008, people who receive concessionary bus passes for being over 60 or for being disabled, will be able to travel at off-peak times with their local bus passes, on any local bus service anywhere in England for free. :money:
    I imagine they're saying on local bus services because it wouldn't include services like National Express etc. services. London is also included with certain criteria.
    Here's the link to the gov. website for you to check the details.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/PublicTransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_071640

And here's the link for the sites with details relevant to your area.
    List of National Concessionary pass providers (opens new window)

As an example, my council will make sure a pass is issued to anyone eligible and current holders will not need to reapply. The passes will last for 5 years.

Hope this helps someone.sLo_hug2.gif
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got my over 60s National bus pass today, can't wait for April then i can travel further afield
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UPDATE

Because we are going away on the 25th March, and aim to use local Dorset buses each and every day for anything up to three weeks, I have just phoned our local council to ask a few things regarding card usage.

It seems that everyone that is entitled to a pass (that has requested one) will be issued with a NEW card, in the last few days of March, in readiness for April 1st and they will come from central government. (Our council have not yet seen one).

I expressed my concern that we may have departed before the card arrives, and could our existing pass be used, even though they don't expire till October. There was an emphatic "no".

What they will do however, is monitor the situation and if there is no chance of the card arriving before we leave home, a temporary pass will be given, which has to be shown in conjunction with my existing pass. This apparently is being done nationally.

Yes, I know there will be scoffers from those with independent means, but I'm not concerned with them, I'm doing it for me and for anyone else that is not too proud to ask.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I just say this isn't just for people over 60 many disabled people are also entitled in some cases the carer can go free. I know because my daughter got the old local card and a new one soon to be issued and I or the OH can go with her for free on local journeys

WE got the card by going to local council customer care and she had her photo taken there and then, and the card was issued some minutes later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure