Charter Savings Bank - Possible Data Theft

Options
Receieved a lettter from Charter Savings Bank - reporting loss of laptops and possible loss of personal data.

If offers an experian service for a year - but the experian web site - says that service no longer offered to new customers - making me dubious.

Did a quick google search to see if in news - but didn't come back with anything.

Anyone else seen this letter ?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, I have accounts with them but no letter, can you post a scan with any confidential stuff blanked out?
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me also but no letter
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    eskbanker - sorry no scanner. redmalc - maybe not all customer's affected - maybe come later Posted on this theft also under "credit files and ratings" - and have one other letter recipient posted me a reply. Anyway have phoned customer services who didn't have any real details - other than enough to state letter genuine - and they have been given instruction to refer callers to a "dedicated" team at Experian ( the number matches that on letter ). Letter states "have no evidence to suggest any personal data has been exposed" - but as they are offering 12 months of monitoring - they must have some concern - so seems silly not to take them up on it.
  • Ann0808
    Options
    I also recieved a letter about the stolen computers,I spoke to customerservices and it is genuine.i will call experian for the 12 month membership
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So while the computers were password protected the files were not encrypted.

The big issue for me is that not only have they lost my name, address and date of birth but also my National Insurance number. All key information when it comes to someone stealing my identity.

They say they are putting in place extra security measures which begs the question why those extra security measures were not in place before the thefts.
    2010 Posts: 5,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    The big issue for me is that not only have they lost my name, address and date of birth but also my National Insurance number. All key information when it comes to someone stealing my identity.

Hence the free Experian.

You can also join Noddle free for life.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    So while the computers were password protected the files were not encrypted.

They say they are putting in place extra security measures which begs the question why those extra security measures were not in place before the thefts.
    Is all this information in the letter? I still haven't received one, which is hopefully good news, but am still concerned and am naturally curious about what it says - in the absence of any further info being visible online other than this thread, do you have the option of scanning one (redacted)?

I opened an account with them recently and am 99% sure that I wasn't asked for NI number - I know these are needed for ISAs but don't think Charter offer ISAs....

I bet they're really glad they chose this password example in their September advice on security at http://www.chartersavingsbank.co.uk/News/557!
    When you pick your password, rather than thinking of a single word, consider choosing a memorable phrase and then take the first letter of each word to form your password. For example: My Savings Are Safe With Charter Savings Bank would become MSASWCSB.
    2010 Posts: 5,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Is all this information in the letter? I still haven't received one, which is hopefully good news, but am still concerned and am naturally curious about what it says - in the absence of any further info being visible online other than this thread, do you have the option of scanning one (redacted)?

I opened an account with them recently and am 99% sure that I wasn't asked for NI number - I know these are needed for ISAs but don't think Charter offer ISAs....

I bet they're really glad they chose this password example in their September advice on security at http://www.chartersavingsbank.co.uk/News/557!

Even stronger:

Then, change letters to similar looking numbers (‘A’ looks like a ‘4’ and ‘S’ looks like a ‘5’) to make your password M545WC5B
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 December 2016 at 8:14PM
    Options
    We are not talking about a lost laptop but a whole set of nicked PC's and probably a server that held the information.
    The best bit is that the theft happened on October 7th, nearly 2 months ago and only now have they decided to tell us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure