PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord Insurance guide discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Tarian
    Tarian Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2021 at 11:39AM
    Options
    (Quote removed by Forum Team)

Read the Reviews more closely.
    You will see that almost all are about the buying process, e.g.
    "Quick and easy".

Rarely are insurance reviews about service months down the line, when you want to make a claim - or just amend a detail.
    :A
  • ortolickus
    ortolickus Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is true. I've had previous dealings with Just Landlords and have found it to be a positive experience. However, i've never had to amend a policy to make a claim which i guess is the acid test.

Timing seems to be critical when requesting quotes for car insurance. A couple of weeks before renewal seems to be optimum for the lowest quote. Does anyone know if the same applies to house insurance and in particular landlord insurance?
  • Dinosaur24
    Options
    Can anyone recommend an insurer please? I live in South America and rent out my old house back in Britain. Only now that I'm renewing my buildngs cover I've spotted (after years of blindly renewing with the same provider) that they want me to be UK resident 183 days per year. And I'm not. Any recommendations for companies that'll insure me?
  • GreatGrrr
    Options
    Help Please. My son is going to live rent freee in the house which I own. Seems if rent less than £250 then standard tenancy agreements not applicable. Conflicting information. Anyone know what I should do about building insurance please?
  • anandp
    anandp Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any recommendations for LI?  I've used a combination of Homelet and Total Landlords Insurance in the past, but would like to put all under one policy now.  Ideally, would like recommendations from someone who's dealt with a firm after the buying process, i.e. claimed or change of details, etc.
    Interested in property investment, web tech, social media, forex, equities. Also a proud father & entrepreneur of sorts.
  • fimacdoodle
    Options
    I used Direct line. Was about £150 for LL insurance with legal cover for an average 3 bed semi, but NOT rent income cover. 
    Have never made a claim, so don't know how they would preform, but they are one of the better, known, companies.
  • m1k3_1969
    m1k3_1969 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's quoted here and on comparison sites that Landlord Insurance isn't compulsory, and my current Landlord Insurance is due to rise by over 20% at renewal.

If I were to have only buildings cover, how can I accurately and truthfully search for quotes on comparison sites, (the forms are asking if I'll live there alone or with family etc.)?

Surely I don't have to phone for individual quotes and explain my preferences, has anyone else had a similar situation?
  • donny_jim
    donny_jim Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say never auto renew, why not when no one else is cheaper.
  • donny_jim
    Options
    We inherited a property which is rented off us by our son, but that isn’t taken into account by insurers. But we still have to have landlord insurance.
  • donny_jim
    Options
    m1k3_1969 said:
    It's quoted here and on comparison sites that Landlord Insurance isn't compulsory, and my current Landlord Insurance is due to rise by over 20% at renewal.

If I were to have only buildings cover, how can I accurately and truthfully search for quotes on comparison sites, (the forms are asking if I'll live there alone or with family etc.)?

Surely I don't have to phone for individual quotes and explain my preferences, has anyone else had a similar situation?
    m1k3_1969 said:

You have to state you want landlord insurance at the beginning, then fill form in as normal.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure