PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Urgent - car park spaces; should they be numbered?

Hi

Please move this post if it's in the wrong place. I'm not familiar wth this area of the forums. Apologies in advance.

Basically, I live in a small block of flats (16 flats) and we all have one parking space each in the car park. The car park has been re-marked today which has been organised by our professional management company that we pay for as residents.

I've just come home to see that the spaces now have our door numbers in huge white paint. This was not there at all before; we just knew our spaces and parked in them.

I feel very annoyed that my door number is on display with a clear indication on whether or not I am home. I feel very vulnerable and open to burglary.

Am I being ridiculous or is this a real safety issue? Surely the management company should have asked if this was something we wanted!

Does anyone know of a link that you can share that states the risks of marking the spaces in this way so that I can show this to the management company to back up my feelings?

Thank you in advance
M
Trying hard to money save....

Comments

• It's not that uncommon. When I lived in flats, it wasn't a problem. The presence or not of a car doesn't particularly indicate whether someone was at home or not.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's not uncommon, and a lot of people prefer it as it reduces the chances of people blocking the wrong space.

If *all* the residents dislike it then you may be able to get the management co. to change it, but it may well be that it has been requested.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think it could have been better done, eg A-M or something, but its pretty common, you see it in many places and as said maybe you dont have a car, or there is more than one person there, so no car doesn't necessarily mean there's no one at home.
    it wouldnt be a big issue to me. Its also probably irreversible now, even if they scrubbed out the numbers I bet you could see them still.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's pretty common and there are pros and cons.

In many set-ups like this you get problems wih people parking in the wrong place and petty conflicts building up as a result. Possibly some residents have complained of this and the Management Company has come up with this solution.

Either

1) get used to it
    2) write to the management company complaining and explain why, or
    3) speak to other residents, start a petition, or write a joint letter so that it has more weight than option 2 above
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Hi

Please move this post if it's in the wrong place. I'm not familiar wth this area of the forums. Apologies in advance.

Basically, I live in a small block of flats (16 flats) and we all have one parking space each in the car park. The car park has been re-marked today which has been organised by our professional management company that we pay for as residents.

I've just come home to see that the spaces now have our door numbers in huge white paint. This was not there at all before; we just knew our spaces and parked in them.

I feel very annoyed that my door number is on display with a clear indication on whether or not I am home. I feel very vulnerable and open to burglary.

Am I being ridiculous or is this a real safety issue? Surely the management company should have asked if this was something we wanted!

Does anyone know of a link that you can share that states the risks of marking the spaces in this way so that I can show this to the management company to back up my feelings?

Thank you in advance
    M

Just wait for how annoyed you are when they bill you for it....
  • AJ1982
    AJ1982 Posts: 266 Forumite
    yikes! How are you ever gonna handle living Ina house with a driveway :rotfl:

On a more serious level, perfectly normal. Just be happy your management company are actually doing something.

As with my first comment , nothing to worry about here really , happens in plenty of developments where there are allocated spaces
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Am I being ridiculous or is this a real safety issue?

The former, I'd say. The presence or absence of a car doesn't really prove whether a property is occupied, does it?

I'd be amazed if you found any authoritative advice along those lines - I've never heard of it.
  • I agree you should have been asked, and there are several drawbacks:
    - individual cars are more easily identified and so an individual car might be targeted for vandalism
    - thieves often try to obtain car keys from houses to fit cars - having the spaces identified makes it easier for a thief to target a house to get keys for a desired car

On the other hand, tradesman visiting flat 3 can park in flat 3's space knowing they're not taking anyone else's.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • What if you didn't have a car/didn't drive?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    G_M wrote: »
    Either

1) get used to it
    2) write to the management company complaining and explain why, or
    3) speak to other residents, start a petition, or write a joint letter so that it has more weight than option 2 above

OR - if you're friendly with any of your neighbours, agree to use each other's spot. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure