O2 didnt cancel old contract after upgrade

Options
Giggidy
Giggidy Posts: 256 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I have been an O2 customer for over two years and recently noticed on my bank statement that O2 took 2 payments from my account for different amounts on the same day in November. I contacted O2 via their online chat facility as there was a 15 min wait on the phone, anyway 2 different advisors had a look at my account and couldnt see the additional payment.

I contacted my bank and they said two DD's have been coming out of my account since May, so they cancelled the one that didnt match my phone bill amount and also made an indemnity claim going back to May.

I called O2 after that and it turns out that, in May when I was due an early upgrade as my contract was coming to an end, O2 didnt cancel it. I upgraded with O2 that I was with before, they sent me a new sim, which didnt work and I was advised by O2 to keep using my old sim in the new phone and they will do the necessary change over.

Fast forward to now, seems like O2 didnt do that, nor did they cancel my old contract, Ive been using my old sim in my new phone so they kept charging me for the old and new contract each month since May.

To complicate matters, I've unwittingly cancelled the wrong DD and made an indemnity claim for the wrong account which the bank cant change now. I have to get a new sim tomorrow so O2 can port everything over to the new sim in order to cancel the old contract and inform them of this.

So my question is, do I have grounds to get my money refunded backdated to May for the contract they didnt cancel. According to O2 I didnt inform them to cancel the contract. But surely when you upgrade that is the process anyway?

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you didn't actually upgrade? You started a second new account.
    ====
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Options
    Check your credit report in case they have black listed you.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Giggidy
    Giggidy Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Yes basicallly rather than just upgrade my account they just starterd another account. They advised me to keep using my old sim because the new one wouldnt port my number and details over there. This was their mess up yet Im paying for it.

I dont think I would be blacklisted as they have had payments for each account by DD, so I havent defaulted on anything.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I think your case highlights that we need to check our bank statements every month and particularly after any modification of a phone contract.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure