2 Xbox One Consoles ?

Hi,

Does anyone have any moneysaving tips for when your kids each want their own Xbox One. We already have 1 console and the 2 eldest want to get antoher so they both have 1 each.

In my head, this means buying 2 copies of Fifa17, 2 xbox live accounts ?

Is there anything clever I can do to reduce the double up costing of it all ?

Thanks

Stuart

Replies

• spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can set up a 'home' console.

Not actually done it myself as no need but i believe it works in that you have the person with the current xbox live subscription set up the other persons xb1 as their home console and then the person withthe original subscription can sign in on the other console and both will have access using the one live account.

If you buy all games digitally through the active live account you should be able to download on both consoles.

DS1 has xbox live account, DS2 doesnt.

DS1 logs in to DS2 console as the Home console and DS2 can play online etc. DS1 then logs in to DS1 console and can play online. DS1 buys a digital game in the store and downloads. As DS2 has access to DS1 live they can also download the game on their console.

Dont quote me on this but i think thats how it works.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I haven't done it myself but I believe what spadoosh has said is correct, I've a few friends that do the same thing - set each other's Xbox as their home console then when one buys a game digitally then both people can play the game at the same time.

What I'd also recommend doing is setting up a USB hard drive on one of the XBox's and downloading the game to the USB hard drive. You can then move the hard drive to the other XBox and copy the game data to save downloading the game and updates twice. Xbox One games can be huge and so can the patches, this is what I do with my pair of Xbox's to save time.

John
  • beaker141beaker141 Forumite
    508 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks spadoosh and johnmc17 - I'd never heard of that before so potentially I can save the 2nd xbox live subscription and the cost of any games bought digitally.

I'm just hoping we bought fifa17 digitally but I cant remember!
  • If not... can't they just share the disc?

Or am I missing something?
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • beaker141beaker141 Forumite
    508 Posts
    Forumite
    If not... can't they just share the disc?

Or am I missing something?

Only the inevitable arguing and fighting over who has the disk, who scratched the disk etc.

I also think they will both want to play online together at the same time which hopefully the solution offered will enable.

Kids are weird now, at least mine are, they'll sit in seperate bedrooms and then skype each other while playing a game!
  • But with Fifa if they want to play together they can just play on the same console. For something like a football game you don't even have to sacrifice how it looks by split screens or anything.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • I think they will need separate accounts to play online but they can indeed share games downloaded on to the hard drives.
    I would advise the 1 TB hard drive as they fill up very quickly.
    Another tip for getting access to games cheap is EA Access you can get a years subscription for £19.99 from amazon and that allows you access to all the games in their vault ~30 games and increasing all the time.
  • ifstarifstar Forumite
    485 Posts
    I think they will need separate accounts to play online but they can indeed share games downloaded on to the hard drives.
    Another tip for getting access to games cheap is EA Access you can get a years subscription for £19.99 from amazon and that allows you access to all the games in their vault ~30 games and increasing all the time.

They do need their own gamertags (accounts) to play online however you only need one Xbox gold subscription - not one each. UK digital game prices can be more expensive than foreign stores but you can buy from other regions with a little research. You'll get 2 free games per month with a gold subscription and EA Access is £20 for the year and gives access to about 25-30 games plus cheaper prices for EA games like Fifa

Very easy to set up - see link below
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/gameshare-xbox-one/
    8.7K Posts
    But with Fifa if they want to play together they can just play on the same console. For something like a football game you don't even have to sacrifice how it looks by split screens or anything.

In ultimate team (an online version of the game) you can earn coins when playing matches. I imagine there would be arguments about whose earning the coins from a match. You cant play on a single console and earn the coins for more than 1 team (ie 2 people on the same console have to play on the same team when playing ultimate team)
    I think they will need separate accounts to play online but they can indeed share games downloaded on to the hard drives.

I dont think they do need separate accounts. The 'home console' with an active live account as the main user allows anyone registered on that device to access xbox live content (including online multiplayer)

Not sure if its a major flaw or just the best theyre (microsoft) able to do but the crazy things is it works no matter how big your home is. So if your home was say, the size of the UK everyone in your home could share one xbox live account.
    8.7K Posts
    ifstar wrote: »
    They do need their own gamertags (accounts) to play online however you only need one Xbox gold subscription - not one each. UK digital game prices can be more expensive than foreign stores but you can buy from other regions with a little research. You'll get 2 free games per month with a gold subscription and EA Access is £20 for the year and gives access to about 25-30 games plus cheaper prices for EA games like Fifa

Very easy to set up - see link below
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/gameshare-xbox-one/

You only need to sign up once (one year @ ~£20) to download the entire repository of games. You dont need an active mebership to be able to play the games. Mine elapsed and i can still play the games ive downloaded though obviously this doesnt include any that get added while youre not subscribed.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals