Watching children in need without a licence

in TV MoneySaving
30 replies 6.5K views
elljayelljay Forumite
990 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
Good morning all. My grandaughter is coming to stay the night and wants to watch children in need. I don't watch TV and haven't had a licence for several years now. However I do have a box telly that I watch videos on and somewhere in the loft an old freeview box.

If I can get this lot to work is it ok for her to watch this, bearing in mind at her parents' house there is a licence? Alternatively could she watch it under the student rules, even though she's just a 12 yr old school student?

While I know I can probably do this without being caught out, I don't want to set her a bad example by breaking the law.

Or can I just pay as I view somehow? Or watch it on the laptop? Or?

Thanks

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you are watching on a laptop, and it asks you "Do you have a TV license?" then surely your granddaughter can click "Yes" since she's covered at her home address by this?

To be extra sure, make sure the laptop is running from battery and not mains!
  • edited 18 November 2016 at 11:57AM
    duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2016 at 11:57AM
    You know you are breaking the law.
    The odds of you getting caught are practically nil but if it is a matter of example (and your grandchild knows you don't have a licence as you've talked about not having one because you don't watch live tv) then at 12 she's old enough to know you are being a hypocrite .

The fact it is CIN is no different to if it was the X Factor or a football match.

If you want to set an example of honesty in all things then buy a licence or tell her she can't watch it.

It's great to have principles and to set a good example but is digging for a dodgy loophole really principled?

Letter of the law is as a minor she doesn't have a TV licence her parents do so she can watch tv in their home but in another household as a guest that household needs its own licence.

Maybe you should reschedule for another night if it's important to her to watch it ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty ... over a weekend, for 2 days ... chances of being caught are so miniscule you need to be more worried about insurance to cover your tea being spoiled from alien invasion those nights.
  • elljayelljay Forumite
    990 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    duchy wrote: »
    You know you are breaking the law.
    The odds of you getting caught are practically nil but if it is a matter of example (and your grandchild knows you don't have a licence as you've talked about not having one because you don't watch live tv) then at 12 she's old enough to know you are being a hypocrite .

The fact it is CIN is no different to if it was the X Factor or a football match.

If you want to set an example of honesty in all things then buy a licence or tell her she can't watch it.

Thankee kindly! Yes, as I have already said, I know I would be breaking the law if I were to sit and watch tv normally and have no inclination to do so, least of all CIn which is rubbish but she likes it. I thought in the same way as when I had a licence in the old days I could watch tv in my campervan on holiday, then she might be able to watch it away from her home in the same way as Ringo suggests.

As I already said in my post, I absolutely don't want to set a bad example so if it definitely isn't legal, then it's out with the Monopoly board.

Thanks again for your I'm sure kindly-meant post. X
  • duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't kind or unkind. It simply acknowledged there's a moral as well as a legal issue to balance out as you mentioned it first. It's tough to be a role model but she knows you don't have tv so it seems odd she asked to watch it at all or agreed to visit knowing she couldn't watch it. Do her parents have Sky so she could watch it on catch up when she gets home ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    MoneySaving Newbie
    OR - don't watch TV using the BBC Iplayer app.

Use this one - http://www.tvplayer.com/watch/

This is legal under EU law - http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63934-Watching-Pirated-Streams-Is-Legal-Rules-EU-Court.html

*I think!*
  • elljayelljay Forumite
    990 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe but it felt unkind, hurtful and extremely judgemental! She hasn't asked to watch it but has asked to visit. I've only just become aware it's on so thought I'd just check out of consideration for what she likes to do. Yes her parents have all the usual entertainment systems. I obviously should have made it clearer that I was not only aware but fully prepared to obey the law but remembered that I could use my tv legally when camping years ago and thought she might be able to do the same. Just after the facts that's all.

Thanks again. There are plenty of other things to do which we will enjoy together.
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    if watched via a laptop on battery she will be covered by her parents' licence (assuming they have one)
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    elljay wrote: »
    it felt unkind, hurtful and extremely judgemental!
    You asked if it was possible and you were reminded that it was illegal. I don't see that as unkind, hurtful or judgemental at all.

At the end of the day, it's your own choice what you do in this regard.

However, you asked a question and you were provided with the (blunt) answer.
  • AnnabeeAnnabee Forumite
    634 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I don't think that reply was intended to be helpful at all, and yes it was judgemental. There are a lot of that type of posters on MSE, unfortunately.

I would have thought if the girl brought a laptop or tablet to watch it, she would have been covered by her parents' licence at home.

Anyway, if she did miss it, it's now available on Iplayer for a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides