PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! Moths have chomped my clothes!!!

Options
The other day I found a moth hole in one of my jumpers (charity shop obviously, but still!) so I immediately blitzed my jumpers with the steam iron to kill the eggs, then put it in 'mothball quarantine' in a sealed plastic bag. Once I'm sure it's 'clear' I'll darn the hole.

Does anybody have any good, preferably old style frugal moth repellent hints? I use Bouchard moth balls as these smell nicer than the old fashioned ones, but they do cost a bit.

Presumably there is some recipe involving spraying your clothes in vinegar.... ::)

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think lavender, a bunch of the dried stuff, so you will smell like a granny ;D
    also clean out the wardrobe and wash all the other clothes.
    Cedar hangers or little wooden balls made of cedar wood are supposed to repel the moths too.
    Dont put clothes away for too long if they have been worn once or more, because they will have 'food' in them in the form of sweat, skin flakes - YUMMEEEE ;D
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Austin_Allegro_2
    Options
    I have so many lavender bags in my wardrobe that I must smell like Quentin Crisp!

The trouble is if I were to clean everything in my wardrobe it would be a massive effort, I've got about six jumpers, 100 ties, three coats, about eight suits and three sports jackets, all wool or silk, so I'd probably end up paying about a million quid in dry cleaning!

I'm off to John Lewis to buy a clothes steamer tomorrow!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    try tea tree oil, been doing it for a while on a cloth, packed with clothes when put away. works a treat so far.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wipe down the inside with a vinegar solution, to kill off eggs. new i had it wrote down somewhere.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I notice 160 isn't quite ready yet to have vinegar superceeded by anything ;D not sold ya share in Sarsons yet then 160 ;)

Austin, could you tempt the little winged beast out of the wardrobe by leaving the door open and nightfall and waving a torch about in a theatrical manner. Even if it doesn't work it might be fun 8)
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    I have a great gadget from Lakeland (again! ::)) which is very useful.

Basically it is a vac pack bag. You fill it with all sorts i.e spare bedding, winter jumpers etc, seal it, then use the hoover to create a vacuum (sp?). It stores large, bulky items into a tiny space.

This works for winter clothes in summer and vice-versa. If the clothes are clear of moths, they will stay that way!

HTH
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Austin_Allegro_2
    Options
    I've remembered another fail safe way to rid ya of moths. I know I'm spoiling you with my valuable advice but I'm on my third glass of cheap plonk so what the heck.

THIS SYSTEM ONLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW THE STEPS FULLY AND IN THE RIGHT ORDER

STEP 1 Lie on the bed wearing nothing but a winning smile

STEP 2 Smother yourself with golden syrup and crushed biscuit crumbs

STEP 3 Invite loved one to lick it all off

STEP 4 Once licked clean open wardrobe door

STEP 5 Spray in Moth Killer

Works everytime for me, Hope it works for you. Hic :-[

Where can I get the cheapest syrup, biscuits and loved one?
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco do cheap biscuits & syrup as for the loved one thet turn up when you least expect it. Happy hunting ::)
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lol.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    I have a great gadget from Lakeland (again! ::)) which is very useful.

Basically it is a vac pack bag. You fill it with all sorts i.e spare bedding, winter jumpers etc, seal it, then use the hoover to create a vacuum (sp?). It stores large, bulky items into a tiny space.

This works for winter clothes in summer and vice-versa. If the clothes are clear of moths, they will stay that way!

HTH

i've got some of those, got them in Argos, really good for stashing away your winter duvets and stuff, just pack um to the max and shove the Henry Hoover on them and Voila, small compact little bag to stick in the bottom of the wardrobe! ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure