Free xmas meals and gifts for pensioners

Options

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Do they have Rotarians in Oman in November and December then Scotsbob? I must say I have always found the place very agreeable....

I have no idea, I am not a Rotarian and I only live there during January and February.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, Bob. How well organised are these organisations? As in, do they liaise with each other so as not to clash in order that you can get a free meal each day, or am I going to have to force down two or three on the same day once or twice?

Biggles I did post an answer to your question but it seems to have disappeared into the Internet ether.

In my area yes they do liaise with each other. They also seem to keep lists which will save you applying next year.

Some also invite you to bus outings in the summer, AVOID. Do you really want to spend four hours on a bus sucking boiled sweets while someone organises a singalong to a Max Bygraves cassette?

At a Xmas lunch you can body swerve the singsong with a whole variety of reasons why you need to leave. On a bus there is no escape. An afternoon bus outing will last for an eternity (although it will seem longer.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :) I am a pensioner and have several Christmas things to do over the coming weeks a couple of parties and some things where we take our own stuff to nibble on.:
    I too would be horrified at a Max Bygraves cassette bellowing in my ear..Our U3A Christmas Party was a hoot last year as the crowd of people who I shared a table with are all folk I go to quiz night at the pub with .so we are fairly irreverant anyway :) We had a singalong, but our table did the actions for the 12 days of Christmas and one of the guys on the table was reduced to tears of laughter at our actions :) several adjoining tables looked in askance at our antics
    :) We may be getting on in years but our crowd know how to enjoy ourselves at least. I think sometimes these 'worthy ' folk forget that we too have a sense of humour and none of us want or need to be reminded of Vera Lynn or the war time I was a child during WW" and can only remember being hungry and fed up with the stodge and rationing.I certainly don't think it was a rosy time for many folk

My late Mum was bombed out twice and started to take Herr Hitler's antics in a more personal way after the second attempt to bump her and her children off :)

Luckily the people I know in my circle of friends at U3A and other clubs I go to are not in the least interested in WW2 and are far more interested in whats happening today than what went on 70 + years ago
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think this idea's great too, but unfortunately, due to my extremely youthful good looks, no one would believe I'm old enough to be entitled.

Sad, but it's a cross I shall have to bear, possibly for another 20years or so......

I look very young for my age as well, my GP asked how I managed it:D. I use my bus pass as proof of entitlement
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I look very young for my age as well, my GP asked how I managed it:D. I use my bus pass as proof of entitlement

Ah yes, the bus pass!

Sadly, they seem to have copied and re-copied my picture so many times now, the guy on that looks far older than me.

Never mind, it still keeps me mobile. Nothing better for scaping ice off the car's windscreen. :D
  • margaretclare
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    :) I am a pensioner and have several Christmas things to do over the coming weeks a couple of parties and some things where we take our own stuff to nibble on.:
    I too would be horrified at a Max Bygraves cassette bellowing in my ear..Our U3A Christmas Party was a hoot last year as the crowd of people who I shared a table with are all folk I go to quiz night at the pub with .so we are fairly irreverant anyway :) We had a singalong, but our table did the actions for the 12 days of Christmas and one of the guys on the table was reduced to tears of laughter at our actions :) several adjoining tables looked in askance at our antics
    :) We may be getting on in years but our crowd know how to enjoy ourselves at least. I think sometimes these 'worthy ' folk forget that we too have a sense of humour and none of us want or need to be reminded of Vera Lynn or the war time I was a child during WW" and can only remember being hungry and fed up with the stodge and rationing.I certainly don't think it was a rosy time for many folk

My late Mum was bombed out twice and started to take Herr Hitler's antics in a more personal way after the second attempt to bump her and her children off :)

Luckily the people I know in my circle of friends at U3A and other clubs I go to are not in the least interested in WW2 and are far more interested in whats happening today than what went on 70 + years ago

Yes, exactly. I think I'd rather die than go to any such jamboree as described.

During the war years I was a child living in a very poor family in the countryside. We had no electricity so no radio and people have expressed disbelief that 'oh don't you remember all those wonderful radio shows, ITMA etc' and then they come out with the catch-phrases of the day. Obviously, none of the songs of the day either. Being bullied at school in those years isn't something I want to remember either.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Ah yes, the bus pass!

Sadly, they seem to have copied and re-copied my picture so many times now, the guy on that looks far older than me.

Never mind, it still keeps me mobile. Nothing better for scraping ice off the car's windscreen. :D

I haven't got one and don't need one.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,339 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't got one and don't need one.

What, a car? :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    What, a car? :D

No, have a car, no bus pass.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ooer my eyes lit up at the mention of the bus pass.., I have a concessionary bus pass but am only 52. I could possibly blag some Xmas food too.

Council food sounds like the stuff we were served at Butlins (tinned and watered down everything and we hadn't even booked an economy style holiday)

Do they count wrinkles.., I don't have enough (although my son who regularly asks me what it was like living in the Victorian Age would disagree I am sure)?

Oops I'd better not mention I have a ten year old either. Mind you there is that test tube stuff I could use to explain my son's existence. I fully expect to find an octogenerian at one of these do's with a babe in arms, probably wearing a test tube as a badge of success - and perhaps called something beginning with V.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure