Options

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2016 at 12:24AM
    Options
    dianasnan wrote: »
    Love this thread.
    I was wondering what songs are now deemed suitable for singing to the 'elderly' as entertainment at these do's?"

NONE, no exceptions.

See my original post one how to avoid the singing nonsense.

You have forgotten your medication, you left your heart tablets at home, your colostomy bag needs changing, your hearing aid batteries have run out. Here you go son, I can get you off scraping pots in the kitchen, give us a lift home. Any of these are suitable.

There are two kinds of pensioners Xmas parties.

1. The ones where they expect everyone to wear a silly paper hat. They have a singalong singsong and don't do second helpings or doggy bags. Then they cram you and 4 other people into a Corsa to go home and you are the last to be dropped off.

2. The proper ones.

This thread is to give help and advice on the proper ones, where you don't have to sing for your supper.

EDIT. Just remembered my son has a friend who volunteered to help out at a pensioners party a couple of years back. She tells me that they actually got the pensioners involved in playing pass the parcel. Take my advice and only go to the proper meals.

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    This will involve some primary school kids playing "Little Donkey" on a recorder and then singing a load of Xmas Carols including all 16 verses of "Once In Royal David's City."
    That's the big problem with your plan. BIG problem .....

... forgot to bring your medication and need to be taken home. Don't feel embarrassed about saying this or feel you are imposing. You see after the meal the volunteers are expected to do some washing up. Now given a choice between scraping pots or running you home what do you thing the volunteer prefers? Exactly. Get the timing right and you can body swerve all the singing stuff.
    Brilliant. Like your thinking!

I'm onto it....

As I will be alone I actually googled last week for such "opportunities", but the photos of previous years' attendees put me off.... none looked a day under 92.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options

I actually googled last week for such "opportunities", but the photos of previous years' attendees put me off.... none looked a day under 92.

In the late 1970s I attended a funeral breakfast in America. Very wealthy family, who showed off their wealth by spending a lot of money on the embalming.

They had the corpse sitting at the table as "guest of honour."

Very nearly almost put me off my fry up...but it did teach me to enjoy food without bothering about who is next to me.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    ... a funeral breakfast ....

I think there was a film based on a couple of blokes attending all the funeral wakes in the area for the free food.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think there was a film based on a couple of blokes attending all the funeral wakes in the area for the free food.
    Now there's another good idea! We do have a Catholic church in the town, maybe I should sign up for it (actually, do I sign or just make a cross? No, I'm no good at carpentry).

Then when I'm a member maybe there'll be a way of finding out about forthcoming wakes, like email alerts or something?

I'd just need a few standard sentences in order to pass at the wakes. "Ah, yes, I remember Himself, he's looking better than ever". "I knew him when he was alive, you know". "Is there another helping of that gateau, the one with sherry in it?"
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Now there's another good idea! We do have a Catholic church in the town, maybe I should sign up for it (actually, do I sign or just make a cross? No, I'm no good at carpentry).

Then when I'm a member maybe there'll be a way of finding out about forthcoming wakes, like email alerts or something?

I'd just need a few standard sentences in order to pass at the wakes. "Ah, yes, I remember Himself, he's looking better than ever". "I knew him when he was alive, you know". "Is there another helping of that gateau, the one with sherry in it?"
    I think they checked the obituary columns for where to go.

That'd free up time from attending church services which could be better used in carpentry lessons.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :rotfl:too.

The only thing is there are Councils that waste (errrm....sorry I mean "spend") money on things like this.

I know - because some of them round here do so.

I couldn't believe it either when I heard.....and no I don't go...:rotfl:
  • Grandmama
    Grandmama Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No need to go to all that rigmarole. As a pensioner I already have 4 Xmas lunches lined up November, 2 are free with just a nominal fee for the other 2. I am going to friends on Xmas day but if I had been on my own, I would have a choice of two free venues. It is because I live In independent sheltered housing, another good reason to downsize accommodation on retirement, you make lots of new friends too.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like your way of thinking ScotsBob!
    My grandmother didn't receive anything as a pensioner until she moved into sheltered accommodation. Then she found herself added to the list for hampers full of foods that she couldn't use, as her teeth and appetite didn't allow. Although she tried to refuse them, there 'wasn't a system for returns' So they were passed on to my mother who could make much better use of them with a growing family!
    (We did invite her to our home where she enjoyed smaller portions and our company!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Do they have Rotarians in Oman in November and December then Scotsbob? I must say I have always found the place very agreeable....
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family