No buying unnecessary toiletries-November 2016

Options

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have had my usual Sunday evening bath on Sunday evening which would have used up the Avon white lily bubble bath on my UU list but just remembered I have my tattoo removal apt tomorrow and I'm not allowed to submerge it in water for a few days after :(

Slightly off topic but I've had my eye on the new iPhone 7 ever since it came out so I might see if I can get it on a contract tomorrow and then sell my old phone to give me a bit of extra cash. Not very MSE I know but I don't like going into the city and coming out with nothing. :rotfl:

Have a search of MSE before you go. I think ML posted that Apple have some interest free payment plans for the new iPhone.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Options
    I would have had my usual Sunday evening bath on Sunday evening which would have used up the Avon white lily bubble bath on my UU list but just remembered I have my tattoo removal apt tomorrow and I'm not allowed to submerge it in water for a few days after :(

Slightly off topic but I've had my eye on the new iPhone 7 ever since it came out so I might see if I can get it on a contract tomorrow and then sell my old phone to give me a bit of extra cash. Not very MSE I know but I don't like going into the city and coming out with nothing. :rotfl:

Have a search of MSE before you go. I think ML posted that Apple have some interest free payment plans for the new iPhone.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    VALM wrote: »

Think carefully before you commit Gemma. If you don't mind me asking how are your finances? I used to follow some of your diaries and I know things were a bit tight at one point. I'd love a new iPhone (I have an old 5s or is it c can't remember the cheaper one they did) that's battery life and memory is awful but I can't afford a new one or a higher contract than I'm already forking out for. Obviously it's your life, and I hope I haven't overstepped the mark.

PS am I allowed to be nosy and ask why the tattoo removal? I hope it goes smoothly for you and doesn't hurt too much.
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    -

generally- most of the time repairs are a lick of paint and naught else. you will be able to smell damp, is there any mould, is there a layer of water that does not seem to evaporate?
    some times the extentions have poor damp course on the floor or a rubbish level of insulation.

a lot of the time a dehumidifier will remove damp feeling- excess water and makes it easier to heat the rooms. what it will cost you on electricity will be saved of the heating. a dehumidifier is a great investment.

you can check for draughts by using either a candle and seeing where it flickers or feeling for the cold air. i use loads of warm (interlined) curtins and door snake insulators. check around the doors, windows (nightmare if single glazed) and vents.

i once lived in a flat that was so cold i had to layer on the clothes when i came home from work. It was a beautiful historical flat but from now on i only choose highly insulated houses. When i eventually get to buy a house, I will retro fit every bit of insulation and get it to scandivan passive house standard

so to cosmetics, it has been a rubbish october- one innow that and now that i think of it, one soap out.

i need to re-double my efforts as i have not being paying attention to my face and it is getting a little red and blotchy. at least i can get a gig for christmas as ruldodof.

i want to finish one cleanser and more importantly throw away any items that just have no chance of being finished.

Currently living in a single glazed drafty old rental flat with one heater so this is helpful advice to me!!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome SophieLoiu.

Gemzie - I've use two of the This Works Sleep Sprays before, the original one and the extra one, the scent lasts about 10 seconds, pointless imo so only buy the mag if you want the actually mag.

Lynseydee - lots of good advice already. Check your loft for insulation, feel for draughts around windows (frames and openers), check around skirting boards, check door frame for draught.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Welcome SophieLoiu.

Gemzie - I've use two of the This Works Sleep Sprays before, the original one and the extra one, the scent lasts about 10 seconds, pointless imo so only buy the mag if you want the actually mag.

Lynseydee - lots of good advice already. Check your loft for insulation, feel for draughts around windows (frames and openers), check around skirting boards, check door frame for draught.

Dolly - thanks for the info re the sleep spray, I wondered about buying it previously, but so many reviews, like you did not find it effective, had I come across the mag today I might have been tempted, I will go back to placing a cotton pad with lavender oil on it in my pillow case I think:D

Another idea for cold homes is to place an old duvet or a blanket, fleece one will be fine on top of mattress under bottom sheet, it is an old camping trick and really helps keep you cozy in bed, wheat bags are great too, as they keep some of your body heat and don't go cold like a hot water bottle:(

Painted nails Sally Hansen Loden green, I love the colour, but it went on a bit gloopy, so have added some thinner. Not sure about the Barry M base coat/nail strengthener, love the brush, but don't get such a good finish as with my Nails Inc base.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, very cold, but sunny here.

Gemma - hope that the tattoo removal is not too ouchie.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    For those of you who quoted me, there has been a funny turn of events -

I thought I'd better check my apt card when I got up this morning, good thing too as my apt is the TWENTY fifth, not the fifth! :rotfl:

So no going into the city for me, which has of course stopped me from getting the new contract too(I don't like doing things like that online, I like to be able to test any potential handset I may get). I'm due an upgrade on my current contract next July anyway so I may just wait it out til September as that's when Apple usually release new handsets anyway. :D

As for the tattoo removal, I got a matching tattoo with an ex of mine a few years ago(nothing too "out there", just a heart with a ribbon running through it on the inside of my elbow) but we aren't together anymore(haven't spoke to him for years now), and the guy who did it was a complete amateur so quite frankly it looks like a complete pile of cr*p! I have a couple others I had done by him before this one and they are quite good. It wasn't until a long while after having the one done that I'm now having removed I found out that his health was deteriorating and that's why his tattoos were getting more rubbish! :(

All of this means that I now CAN have my usual bath tomorrow evening which will give me a UU. Will declare tomorrow evening :D
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Thanks for this months thread Mrsmoneypenny and welcome SophieLoiu.
    I am in again this month, a few UU to report:

Aqaous cream- i was told to try this for my eczema but if anything it made it worse and the smell wasn't very nice, WNBA
    Nivea watermelon lip balm- this was a freebie last year with an order in Boots, this balm smelt heavenly but it didn't help with my dry cracked lips. WNBA

A few INS so far this month:
    Bourjois blur the lines concealer- I cant find a natural concealer that works, this one works really well to cover my dark circles and it doesn't cause any allergic reactions.
    Also IN, LE tint in bare (HG), two PHB natural cosmetics lipstick balms, and a free natural lip plumper.
  • VALM
    Options
    I've decided to TA 3 lip products :-

The Balm Staniac - came in Birchbox. Dries my lips out.
    Lush Twisted - this has always made my lips dry but I loved the colour. That was when I had a tan. Now that I'm paler I don't like it.
    Smashbox Pink Luster lip gloss - very little product came out on the wand and I don't want to remove stoppers anymore.

Am going to repaint my nails today and will be wearing OPI Thanks so muchness.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Afternoon all

Hope everyone is keeping warm.

A UU for me

Sanex active control roll on - WMBA was okay but prefer my gels (the last of the part used and left deodorants)

INs
    2 gillette antiperspirant clear gel (hg)

Take care
    GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure