EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    Congrats on the £500 cleared. I also would have bought the book. More likely to use it if it makes you smile.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Morning all!

Small (85p) Prolific study this morning so that's now showing pending.
    20p on OnePoll
    50 point YouGov survey - now at 2,500 on there - half way to payout and my god it takes FOREVER!
    Just sent an email to the secret survey people asking them why I've had nothing from them since March...

Small MSE win last night - popped in to Boots as I was passing and knew I was running low on my WellWoman tablets - which are a bit vital for me at the moment as along with an iron rich diet they're making sure I get enough Iron to function and can avoid going onto the spectacularly unpleasant heavy duty iron tablets that are my other option. :o Did a quick comparison between my usual ones - the brand mentioned - and the Boots own brand, and found that the own brand have more Iron and more of a few other useful things in them - AND were a pound cheaper per pack too - got three packs on 3 for 2 so a win there! (And that saves the money I spent on the book at lunchtime too - roundabouts and swings there!) :rotfl::T

Food for the week is going to plan...I roasted the chicken pieces last night with a moroccan spice mix rubbed over and they were delicious - looking forward to the others tonight with couscous now! I'm looking forward to being able to do some proper cooking over the next few weeks now I've got some free time too - starting with our favourite Rick Stein Korma recipe on Friday evening. :T

Need to check on the Al's S6 and Lil's PoTW offers for this weekend coming to see if there's anything I can get in either of those that will work in for next week. I'm shopping at Mozza's on Friday so will get meat for sunday too - we've not have a roast in AAAAAGES and after discussing it last night we've decided on a big chunk of pork that I can slow roast and then stretch out over lots of meals. :D

Jobs for tonight:
    15 minute tidy in the bedroom (my bedside table which is dumping ground AGAIN)
    Shred beets, carrot, onion & cabbage for coleslaw/salad type thing
    Prep couscous for dinner
    15 minute tidy in the front room
    Empty rubbish bins
    More work on photos - that will be ongoing for ages yet!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,615 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You Goo is soul destroying.
    Fact.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Just popping THIS RECIPE for spicy squash soup here - shamelessly lifted from Greying's diary! :D

No *shamelessly* confessions please - I put the links so folks can use them if they fancy :D

You must make the dish your own, but I would just add that I don't *think* (might be wrong, but it's not in the version I noted down from my CGSCo. book) that there were sesame seeds in the original version of the soup - I'd be tending to grind them up if there were. Also, in the version I have, there is salt & pepper - I appreciate seasoning is all to taste, and depends heavily on what stock you've used/if you've used water. Plus, in my version I noted down chopped coriander to finish. I don't think that's an addition I made, but I would heartily recommend if you've fresh coriander to hand/like it as a herb. Also, as with most of my dishes, I always add in the citrus zest, along with the juice, just because. I also blitz this soup - and it is interesting that the point is made in the comments section about blending it - I would heartily endorse that too.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,773 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I had TWO secret surveys in one day recently - maybe I'm getting yours! rofl rofl

I think I'm up to 950 points on YouGov, having ignored it for years and recently got back into it. I'll probably get a payout the day I retire at this rate :rotfl:
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    You Goo is soul destroying.
    Fact.

Agreed. :o
    No *shamelessly* confessions please - I put the links so folks can use them if they fancy :D

You must make the dish your own, but I would just add that I don't *think* (might be wrong, but it's not in the version I noted down from my CGSCo. book) that there were sesame seeds in the original version of the soup - I'd be tending to grind them up if there were. Also, in the version I have, there is salt & pepper - I appreciate seasoning is all to taste, and depends heavily on what stock you've used/if you've used water. Plus, in my version I noted down chopped coriander to finish. I don't think that's an addition I made, but I would heartily recommend if you've fresh coriander to hand/like it as a herb. Also, as with most of my dishes, I always add in the citrus zest, along with the juice, just because. I also blitz this soup - and it is interesting that the point is made in the comments section about blending it - I would heartily endorse that too.

Greying X

Noted - good tips there! I'm always someone who will tend to at least half-blend a soup anyway - my "winging it" red lentil and carrot always gets blended to properly smooth, and the BNS soups I've made previously to pretty much smooth also - I prefer a nice thick soup to a thinner one with floaty lumps! :rotfl:
    I had TWO secret surveys in one day recently - maybe I'm getting yours! rofl rofl

I think I'm up to 950 points on YouGov, having ignored it for years and recently got back into it. I'll probably get a payout the day I retire at this rate :rotfl:

Me too I think - SOOOOOO slow! :rotfl:

Well not heard anything back from the secret survey people. Boo to them.
    70p Prolific earlier on....yawn.
    Somewhere about 50p on onePoll today again I think
    Got a £3 Populus one lurking that needs sound so I'm REALLY hoping I can go through with that one tonight - I'm SO close to payout there now! :D

Still haven't made the wretched coleslaw...must sort that out before the cabbage goes flabby! Must also check through the ingredients for the korma for tomorrow night so I can make sure that anything we don't have is on the shopping list.That might be a "this evening" job I think.

Saw a nice top in Matalan the other night when I went in for a wander (it was raining!) and it will replace one of my too-big ones AND tick off a box on my "clothes needed" list so will go in and spend £5 on that this evening I think.

Extra £10 earned yesterday thanks to a small extra job at work - that will go in my tin to be offset against airshow spends next season. :T

Cheese and mushroom omelettes for dinner tonight - hurrah! So simple and yet so tasty! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Excellent idea, and one I might steal as everybody else is having yucky sausages and yucky mash.

Matalan are useful, I especially like their extra long vest tops for layering. Have lots of those.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi EH I am seriously impressed with your moneysaving skills and think I can learn a lot from you.

I've never been to the Hebrides but know they are beautiful. Which particular island takes your fancy? I love the mainland of Scotland but would love to do an islands tour :D.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    *considers making squash soup* It does sound rather tasty!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    There's discussion of next week's mrAl Super 6 (from the 28th) on the F&G thread. Looks like there might be a possibility of a bunch of fresh beetroot for 35p...... seems very, very cheap, but I'm not doubting the authenticity of the poster. I know when I bought their vac pack beetroot on offer earlier this year, it was british, don't know the origin of the 'fresh'. Details HERE.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback