2ocqn930ubywvi8z0wl9dhefnm6z926$c8hyijt1xkgmnqov2ftunu9ps9kb4s8

Wait for us........

travel2.gif
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,716 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: you lot :D

Me and Mr Cheery spent several years escaping to Scottish islands for an entire fortnight over christmas. It was ace :D were only not going this year as it's our last Christmas in this house so we're stopping here. It'll just be the pair of us for Christnas day though and we will jolly well please ourselves :D
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well procured Upsidedown Bear! :T Room for Baby Greying on the running board too :D Mind, if I'd have known you was all gonna get suited & booted and dresssed up all fancy, I'd have brushed me hair & bought a dress! :D

Cheery - the best chrimbo's definitely are where you please yourself/selves. We intend to again this year.

PurpleFairy - your phrase 'forced fun' struck a chord with me. I was served by a jolly elf in w1lkos yesterday. They had dressed up and got in the spirit :D They clearly relished getting dressed up, had fun with it and joined in the fun. Which is great. But if you don't wish to join in, you shouldn't be forced into it. And turning the Christmas music up LOUDER in shops does not = more *fun*.

I'm actually finding Chr1s hEvans is talking alot of sense about chrimbo on R2 at the moment. It's clear he likes the season. It's clear he has lots of cash to buy sumptious presents for folk, if he so chooses. But he was saying yesterday to (if you can) give the recipient cash so that they can buy what they want. and his phrase today, 'buy them what they want, not what you think they want'. was spot on as far as I was concerned. A well thought out gift, which is just what the recipient needed is a gift indeed. Anything else is just stress - probably as much for the giver as for the receiver.

The frugalwoods blog has a ver good article about excessive gift giving at the moment - and the comments are good too. I'm not against gifting at all, as long as you're not going into debt to do it of course! But it's all got a bit out of hand on the QT, hasn't it. I do also think that there is much in the 'language' of love tied up with it all. One of my gran's gave freely and modestly, but she found out what you liked, or gave money (small amounts - imagine being thrilled with a £1 for christmas nowadays :D). My other gran would only ever give 'stuff', it had to be a gift that she could hand over and watch you open...... talk about encouraging children to learn deception early on! But she always handed it over and said, 'I would have liked to have spent more; I wish I could afford something expensive/nice for you. But I can't'...........................she could afford her fag & sherry habit though.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm hopeful we can spend time with Baby Greying - at least for a good number of years - and until they outgrow wanting to hang out with us :D

We had our lobby last night, but I've not uploaded the pic yet.

i'm not sure what will be for tea tonight. It won't be what is on the planner, as the beetroot has been eaten :doh:

I have got the last cards out and will sort them today and send them tomorrow. It WILL be done today - I will come back and confirm it as so this evening!:D

We went pootling up the high street yeasterday and practised our smiling. I didn't notice anyone giving us a wide berth :rotfl: We got some smiles back and some nice comments aimed at BG. We will practise again today, although our walk will be more about excersise and fresh air than shopping :D

Right BG is awake and making squeals and smells - I think I need to go....... :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    ooooof, wouldn't do it too ya really, but have you room for +3??????? :D

Greying X

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Genuinely, no - we're staying HERE - gorgeous, but small! :D:p
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2016 at 12:15PM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Genuinely, no - we're staying HERE - gorgeous, but small! :D:p

oh, that looks familiar - did Monty Halls stay there when he did his series about the seas/coastline etc If so..... where did the film crew bunk?????? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: [just kidding :p]

Edit: Ah no, Monty & Reuben were on North Uist, not Benbecula. Phew! :D

Greying xx

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    We've done this with gifting for years - the deal in the close family is, you write a list - it can contain things you want, or even things you NEED, that someone else buying for you saves you spending your own hard-earned on. BUT - no list, ='s the very real chance that you get no pressies. We do buy "off piste" stuff too - of course, as surprises are always nice, but equally it's nice to know that what you're buying for someone will really be appreciated, and USED! Mum's and mine frequently include items of makeup etc, MrEH's usually features a bottle of whisky somewhere along the line, and my Dad generally forgets to write one at all, which means socks often feature. (Serves him right!) :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 December 2016 at 12:18PM
    Options
    oh, that looks familiar - did Monty Halls stay there when he did his series about the seas/coastline etc If so..... where did the film crew bunk?????? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: [just kidding :p]

Greying xx

Ha - nope, he "stayed" HERE - but you will note the quotation marks around "stayed"....suffice to say all was not *quite* as it appeared to the casual viewer, and something that strangely enough never got mentioned was that as a result of him coming in and offering his services for the role of "ranger" FOC for 6 months, the previous incumbent of a broadly similar role was made redundant ahead of his arrival... :( The dog (Reubs) was apparently utterly thick - the pub that they were shown visiting has a swing-door as a secondary defence against the elements, and apparently every time they went in without fail, Reubs forgot about the door, and either got a smack on the behind from it as he went in, or a face-first meeting with it upon going to greet someone new arriving! :rotfl:
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Wow, it's going to be a scrum in mr Al from the 18th onwards, the S6 are just 19p according to THIS post. And funnily enough, I was thinking that mrL was doing quite well with what they're proposing for 29p. part of me wants it to be British produce for that price, part of me doesn't as who is taking the financial hit?

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh boo - no Aldi near us!

GP - what were the MrL deals? - online all I can see is the 59p deals we bought over the weekend!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, saw Aldi deals too.
    Hope can get into car park :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure